You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-12 22:21

Tolkem

Can't update Q4OS TDE Gemini 4.5

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! smile

I installed Q4OS TDE Gemini 4.5 in a friend's Desktop PC, I  used this q4os-4.5-x64-tde-testing.r1. Everything went fine and the OS successfully installed, however, upon reboot I launch konsole to try and update/upgrade the system but was unable to since I got some errors I can't figure out how to solve. After executing

sudo apt update

I get this

Ign:1 https://q4os.org/q4repo q4os-4-0-cn InRelease
Ign:2 https://q4os.org/qtderepo bullseye InRelease
Ign:3 https://q4os.org/qextrepo bullseye-vboxadds-cn InRelease
Ign:4 https://q4os.org/q4repo q4os-4-0-cn Release
Ign:5 https://q4os.org/qtderepo bullseye Release
Ign:6 https://q4os.org/qextrepo bullseye-vboxadds-cn Release
Ign:7 https://q4os.org/q4repo q4os-4-0-cn/main all Packages
Ign:8 https://q4os.org/q4repo q4os-4-0-cn/main amd64 Packages
Get:17 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye InRelease [116 kB]
Reading list of packages... Done
W: The repository "http://q4os.org/q4repo q4os-4-0-cn Release" does not have a Release file.
N: Data in a repository like this cannot be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See the apt-secure(8) manual page for details on creating repositories and configuring users.
W: The "http://q4os.org/qtderepo bullseye Release" repository does not have a Release file.
N: Data in such a repository cannot be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See the apt-secure(8) manual page for details on creating repositories and configuring users.
W: The repository "http://q4os.org/qextrepo bullseye-vboxadds-cn Release" does not have a Release file.
N: Data in such a repository cannot be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
E: Release file for http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 179d 14h 19min 1s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye-updates/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 182d 18h 55min 59s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.

Any help/advice on how to solve this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your answers. smile

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-10-12 22:22)

#2 2021-10-12 22:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Can't update Q4OS TDE Gemini 4.5

We can't reproduce the issue, the update works fine. You may have set the wrong date/time, try syncing and restarting. We will continue to try to reproduce the problem and post back.

#3 2021-10-12 23:13

Tolkem

q4osteam wrote:

We can't reproduce the issue, the update works fine. You may have set the wrong date/time, try syncing and restarting. We will continue to try to reproduce the problem and post back.

Thank you. You set me in the right direction, I'd checked time and it was right, but I just checked again and date was not; it was April 2021 lol I fixed that and everything's working as supposed to smile

#4 2021-10-13 16:48

Tolkem

@q4osteam Is there a way to configure updates to be installed automatically? I mean, my friend is a 60 year old lady, she's not tech savy or any of that sort, so I'd like to set that in a way she doesn't neeed to do anything. Is that possible? I installed the update manager so she'd only need to click on it, but stll, it'd be nice if that could be done without her doing anything. By the way, Q4OS TDE is working like a charm, here are the specs of the machine:

System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-9-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.10 Distro: Q4OS 4.6.1-n1
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Foxconn model: G31MV/G31MV-K v: FAB 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG
           date: 04/15/2008
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual E2200 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: D L2 cache: 1024 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 8800
           Speed: 1200 MHz min/max: 1200/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1200 2: 1200
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Foxconn driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Foxconn driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-9-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Foxconn driver: r8169 v: kernel port: ce00
           bus ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 v: kernel port: ce00 bus ID: 04:02.0
           Device-3: Edimax EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS] type: USB driver: rtl8192cu bus ID: 5-6:2
           IF: wlx74da380fbc26 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 149.05 GiB used: 5.47 GiB (3.7%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Maxtor model: STM3160215AS size: 149.05 GiB temp: 44 C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 84.67 GiB used: 5.47 GiB (6.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 2h 12m Memory: 1.93 GiB used: 740.7 MiB (37.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1336 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.01

Any help/advice is much appreciated. smile

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-10-13 16:51)

#5 2021-10-13 17:18

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, you need to enable unattended upgrades.

You need unattended upgrades service installed and running, check:
$ sudo systemctl status unattended-upgrades.service

Edit the file "/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades" and enable upgrades:

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

#6 2021-10-13 17:28

Tolkem

Thank you. I just made it. One more question, and sorry to keep bothering, I installed thunar because I think it'll be easier for her to handle, how can I set it as the default file manager? I've been looking around but not sure where to and/or how to do do it. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok, I got it. Now Thunar is the default FM for directories and drives.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-10-13 17:57)

#7 2021-10-14 06:17

bin

Unattended upgrades is a barrel of fun. You need to take a look at 50unattended-upgrades > Custom Entries section to make sure any and all additional repositories are configured. The syntax is a bit testing smile

You can check the accuracy of entries by running

sudo unattended-upgrade --verbose --dry-run

It doesn't actually install anything but shows what would happen if it was live.

This is from a slightly old file:-
"o=q4os.org,n=jessie";
"o=q4os.org,n=q4os-1-0-cn";
"o=Debian,n=jessie";
"o=Debian,n=jessie-updates";
"o=Debian,n=jessie-proposed-updates";
"o=Debian,n=jessie,l=Debian-Security";
"o=Debian Backports,n=jessie-backports";
"o=Debian,a=stable";
"o=Debian,a=stable-updates";

Now, if you add a repo to your sources then you need to also include it in this section in 50unattended-upgrades.
Working out the values to plug in can be time consuming. The best thing to do is run

sudo apt-cache policy > repos.txt

That would put the text file in the root of your home. Adjust to taste. Looking at the output gives you all the values for UA.

There's a lot there - here's an example of the Multimedia repos from that output:-

http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster/non-free amd64 Packages release v=10.11,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=oldstable,n=buster,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=non-free,b=amd64 origin www.deb-multimedia.org

That translates to the entry in my 50unattended-upgrades as
"o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,n=buster";
These are the Origin and Codename entries as described in the 50unattended-upgrades file.

You may need to test and check for a while to make sure it all works OK.

The real trick with UA is getting it to run in a normal sane time-frame as a desktop PC user as opposed to a server.

There are 2 files in /usr/lib/systemd/system
apt-daily.timer and apt-daily-upgrade.timer

The first does the equivalent of sudo apt update and the second does the sudo apt upgrade side of things.

The default settings mean there is no guarantee it will get to run if the machine is powered up, used for a short while then powered down.

Modified as below the update runs 5 minutes after start. The upgrade is 15 minutes after.

apt-daily.timer

[Unit]
Description=Daily apt download activities
DefaultDependencies=yes

[Timer]
#OnCalendar=*-*-* 6,18:00
#RandomizedDelaySec=12h
#Persistent=true
OnBootSec=5min
OnUnitActiveSec=1d

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

apt-daily-upgrade.timer

[Unit]
Description=Daily apt upgrade and clean activities
After=apt-daily.timer

[Timer]
#OnCalendar=*-*-* 6:00
#RandomizedDelaySec=10m
OnBootSec=15min
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

The results of UA can be seen in /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log

For a user to check this they have to be added to the adm group

usermod -a -G adm username

I have an alias in ~/.bash.rc

alias log='mcview /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log'

mcview comes from midnight commander - other text file viewers are available smile

Tyoing log is quicker than having to either dig around in the bash history or type the damn line every time.

Last edited by bin (2021-10-14 11:44)

#8 2021-10-14 17:53

Tolkem

bin wrote:

Unattended upgrades is a barrel of fun. You need to take a look at 50unattended-upgrades > Custom Entries section to make sure any and all additional repositories are configured. The syntax is a bit testing smile

You can check the accuracy of entries by running

sudo unattended-upgrade --verbose --dry-run

It doesn't actually install anything but shows what would happen if it was live.

Where is it 50unattended-upgrades? After running that, this is what I get:

$ sudo unattended-upgrade --verbose --dry-run
Starting unattended update script
Allowed sources: origin=Debian,codename=bullseye,label=Debian, origin=Debian, codename=bullseye,label=Debian-Security, origin=Debian,codename=bullseye-securit y,label=Debian-Security, o=q4os.org, o=Debian Backports, o=Debian
Initial blacklist:
Initial whitelist (not strict):
No packages were found that can be unattended upgraded and no automatic uninstallation is pending.
The list of kept packages can't be calculated in dry-run mode.

Does that look good enough?

There are 2 files in /usr/lib/systemd/system
apt-daily.timer and apt-daily-upgrade.timer

The first does the equivalent of sudo apt update and the second does the sudo apt upgrade side of things.

The default settings mean there is no guarantee it will get to run if the machine is powered up, used for a short while then powered down.

Modified as below the update runs 5 minutes after start. The upgrade is 15 minutes after.

apt-daily.timer

[Unit]
Description=Daily apt download activities
DefaultDependencies=yes

[Timer]
#OnCalendar=*-*-* 6,18:00
#RandomizedDelaySec=12h
#Persistent=true
OnBootSec=5min
OnUnitActiveSec=1d

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

apt-daily-upgrade.timer

[Unit]
Description=Daily apt upgrade and clean activities
After=apt-daily.timer

[Timer]
#OnCalendar=*-*-* 6:00
#RandomizedDelaySec=10m
OnBootSec=15min
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

The results of UA can be seen in /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log

For a user to check this they have to be added to the adm group

usermod -a -G adm username

I have an alias in ~/.bash.rc

alias log='mcview /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log'

mcview comes from midnight commander - other text file viewers are available smile

Tyoing log is quicker than having to either dig around in the bash history or type the damn line every time.

Thanks for the tips. Well, my friend won't need to check that log, like I said, she's no tech savy or anything like that, in fact, you could say she's an "illiterate" when it comes to computers an operating systems. That's what I'm trying to set her PC in a way she doesn't need to do anything, just use it. smile

#9 2021-10-15 05:52

bin

EDIT: I've just seen your post about the date and time on the machine in question. Please do not go any further with UA until that is resolved.

You're welcome smile

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

I have to query the 'kept packages' in the output from the dry run. UA can trip up if there's something odd going on.

If her machine has the Multimedia Codecs installed then you'll need to add the entry I showed for Debian Multimedia above.

Just a thought - a while back there was an issue with a grub update that borked a few machines running UA. You might want to set updates to grub as blacklisted in 50unattended-upgrades - it's just below the repo section I mentioned in the same file.

Unattended-Upgrade::Package-Blacklist {
    // The following matches all packages starting with linux-
//  "linux-";
    "grub";
    "grub-";

Grub doesn't get updated that often and for a single user machine updates can wait until you get access to it - just a suggestion. I know other updates since that problem last year have been OK.

A lot depends on how much you are going to be supporting your friend, whether it's a quick pop round next door or a 2 hour car journey makes a lot of difference. My wife's laptop is set up to look after itself with UA. I check it probably every couple of months.

Last edited by bin (2021-10-15 05:56)

#10 2021-10-15 12:14

Tolkem

Thank you. My friend lives around the corner, so in case she needs my help it's a 2 minutes walk. smile

Board footer