You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-30 19:38

madibi

[Closed] Calamares won't install Q4OS4 on multiple partitions GPT disk

I tried to install gemini 4,6 twice as a secondary s.o., where were installed other distros.
I tried the automatic partitioning, asking to install q4os side by side with Antix.

The 1st time the installation went to the end, but when booting I received the message:
Grub loading
Welcome to grub!
error: no such partition
grub rescue

The 2nd time, after the partitioning, the installer wrote me that it was unable to continue.
After I tried to use the partitioning already done and to install manually, but I reveived a message that it is better to use a GPT partition table.
This is something that I don't want to do, because the systems already installed are working properly and I don't want to re-install them.

I must say that on a 3rd pc, where I dedicated all the hd and the partitioning was automatic, all was fine.

What should I do?

Many thx in advance

---

This bug report has been registered at the official bug tracker https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/166/

---

EDIT by Admin:
- Subject modified
- Moved to bug tracking section

EDIT by Admin on 2023-06-08:
We are not able to reproduce this bug anymore on Q4OS-5 Aquarius, q4os-5.0.r8-testing-x64.iso , so considering fixed by upstream and thus closing the bugreport.

Last edited by q4osteam (2023-06-08 13:48)

#2 2021-09-30 20:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: [Closed] Calamares won't install Q4OS4 on multiple partitions GPT disk

The installation should proceed and work on non GPT partitioned disk, although it's better. You can create a dedicated partition manually, for example using Gparted, and install Q4OS on that partition and see what happens.

#3 2021-09-30 22:49

madibi

Many thx for your quick answer

In fact what you suggest it's exactly what I did.

When I boot, with the grub from the automatic installation from q4os, I receive the 3 messages that I wrote in my previous post:

Grub loading
Welcome to grub!
error: no such partition
grub rescue

I tried another road:
in the hd with the other O.S., I restored the grub of the other linux.
In that case the other OS (Antix) started perfectly, on the other hand if I tried to start q4os, the problem was the following:

errore: no such device
errore: partizione inesistente
errore: è necessario caricare il kernel prima
premere un tasto per continuare ....

the google translation is:

error: no such device
error: partition does not exist
error: you need to load the kernel first
press any key to continue ....

I should point out that the same error happened in 2 different pc

so, my question remains :-(

#4 2021-10-01 06:19

BonusBrain

I'm not familiar with antiX myself but I am aware of particular issues when trying to dual boot it with something else. You might find something here to help with your own situation.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic … x86-boxes/

#5 2021-10-02 13:19

madibi

Sorry to answer a bit too late.
According to my tests, this problem is a Q4OS problem, vers. 4,6.

The previous versions never had problems with installation on Bios pc, in dual boot with other linux distros.
This new version arrives with a "strong advice", when doing the manual installation, to have the GPT partition table.

I did other tries, with the very same result: I cannot install Q4OS on an HD with another linux distro, if the hd is not GPT (next try with q4os 3.15 :-) )

The problem is the choice of the GPT.

The question is if I can do some hack in order to let both working on the same hd witl a previous old partitioning.

Many thx in advance

#6 2021-10-02 15:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

madibi wrote:

.. The previous versions never had problems with installation on Bios pc, in dual boot with other linux distros. This new version arrives with a "strong advice", when doing the manual installation, to have the GPT partition table.

No changes were made to calamares installer or partitioning tools from the 4.5 Gemini.

- What Q4OS installation media did you use ?
- Do we understand correctly, your computers use legacy BIOS, no UEFI ?
- Do we understand correctly, your disk has MBR partitioning (non-GPT) ?
- Would you post a brief partitioning schema of your disk ?

madibi wrote:

This new version arrives with a "strong advice", when doing the manual installation, to have the GPT partition table.

A screenshot of this message box window would be helpful too.

Anyway, we will try to reproduce and investigate this issue and report back, thanks for reporting.

Last edited by q4osteam (2021-10-02 15:21)

#7 2021-10-02 20:01

madibi

Many thx for your kind attention.
you wrote: "No changes were made to calamares installer or partitioning tools from the 4.5 Gemini."
                 In reality I am not such a good sw handler. I never tried a beta test. For me the previous version was the 15.8

you wrote: "What Q4OS installation media did you use ?"
                  usb key, 2 gb

you wrote: "Do we understand correctly, your disk has MBR partitioning (non-GPT) ?"
                  yes

You wrote :" Would you post a brief partitioning schema of your disk ?

I tried to post the 2 screenshot that I did with gparted on the 2 disks where I did the 2 tries, but I was unable to do.
In any case:
1st HD (the one with Antix)
sdb1, ext4,  73 Gb (used 56), no flag
sdb3 ext4 ,  73 Gb                 flag= boot (this is the partition where Q4OS was installed)
sdb2 linux-swap, 2 Gb
sdb4 fat32 512 Mb

(I confirm this is MBR, no GPT)

2nd HP (the one with LXLE)

sdc1, ext4, 170 Gb, (used 55 Gb), no flag (occupied by LXLE)
sdc2, extended 296 Gb, flag boot
sdc5 Linux swap 3 Gb
sdc6 ext4, 190Gb, (MYDATA)
sdc7 ext4, 103 Gb

You wrote: "A screenshot of this message box window would be helpful too."
                  When installing, at the end of the manual partitioning, when entering all the info for the install, there is a "pop up" that says that Q4OS prefers the GPT  partitioning.

#8 2021-10-02 20:04

madibi

Now I understood how to upload images :-)
Please note that after my last post, I formatted both the partitions where I installed Q4OS

Many, many thx for your attention

#9 2021-10-03 08:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@madlibi
What installation .iso image file did you download and use for Q4OS installation ?

#10 2021-10-03 11:49

madibi

https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … o/download

This was the link where I was directed from your download page, the very 1st day when Q4OS Gemini 4,6 was out.

I was waiting this stable version with impatience :-)

#11 2021-10-06 08:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, we are able to reproduce the issue, at least with some GPT disk configurations. What's more, we are able to reproduce that on vanilla Debian live installations, so it seems to be a Debian upstream bug. Nonetheless, before we can conclude upstream bug, we need to investigate further, so we will continue to verify a correlation between Debian and Q4OS.

If anybody could confirm the Debian live media bears the same way as Q4OS, please post here.

@madibi
Anyway, you can use Q4OS install CD, it should install Q4OS on your disks fine.
You can also try to use a trick to outwit Calamares live installer. Free a disk space for Q4OS root filesystem and create a new ext4 partition on that space. Command Calamares to replace that partition with Q4OS. That should work as well.

#12 2023-06-08 13:41

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We are not able to reproduce this bug anymore on Q4OS-5 Aquarius, q4os-5.0.r8-testing-x64.iso , so considering fixed by upstream and thus closing the bugreport.

If the bug persists for anyone, please open a new report at support section https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewforum.php?id=3

Board footer