You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-06 10:33

broke328

Wifi completely broken

Hi,

I just installed the system and everything was fine. I clicked on the Wifi icon in the taskbar to select my Wifi network. While entering the password I accidentally checked the unlabeled airplane checkbox, because I thought it was the "make password visible" button. Of couse I disabled airplane mode again after realizing this.

Ever since that the Wifi has completely stopped working and I cannot reenable it no matter what. The Network dialog is completely empty, the little Wifi icon is sometimes enabled, sometimes it is crossed out. The checkbox next to it cannot be activated most of the times, sometimes it can be activated but nothing happens at all. Pressing the Wifi enable/disable button on my laptop's keyboard doesn't do anything most of the time. Sometimes it results in the Wifi icon flickering for a split second and nothing happens.

By repeatedly and randomly pressing the Wifi button on my laptop's keyboard I once managed to make the list of Wifi networks show up again and proceeded to connect to my Wifi network. It seemed to have worked but the "Desktop Profiler" still claimed there was no internet connection and so I restarted the system. Sadly after the restart Wifi functionality was once again completely gone and I have no idea what the problem is. The Wifi was working perfectly fine for 10 years under the previously installed Windows OS, so it's definately not a problem with the actual Wifi hardware.

I'm no linux person at all, can anybody please tell me how to get this working? I read about inxi -F in another thread, when I run that, it says that my Wifi network adapter is a "AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter" and the driver used is "ath5k"

#2 2021-08-15 19:59

tlmiller76

Re: Wifi completely broken

Can you get on a wired network and install Network Manager from the software center?  As altPOCA mentioned, the default network management application the Q4OS team chooses to use is utterly garbage and mostly useless for anything even MODERATELY modern.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#3 2021-08-15 20:03

DavidB
Website

Rather than go through a full re-install, could you try just creating a new user account (start off fresh) and see if you can get a working network connection, being careful to avoid the airplane checkbox thing?  If it works, then you know it's a setting in you desktop user account and not at the operating system level.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#4 2021-08-23 16:38

Rademes

tlmiller76 wrote:

As altPOCA mentioned, the default network management application the Q4OS team chooses to use is utterly garbage and mostly useless for anything even MODERATELY modern.

That makes a question, why Network Manager from Software Centre is not available by default. I do not think, that it consumes a lot of disk space. After installing O4OS, I have to plug in my PC to wired network, then install this Network manager from software centre, and only after that, I can use my WiFi adapter to connect to wireless network. Very inconvenient!

Last edited by Rademes (2021-08-23 16:39)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#5 2021-08-23 17:51

tlmiller76

Rademes wrote:
tlmiller76 wrote:

As altPOCA mentioned, the default network management application the Q4OS team chooses to use is utterly garbage and mostly useless for anything even MODERATELY modern.

That makes a question, why Network Manager from Software Centre is not available by default. I do not think, that it consumes a lot of disk space. After installing O4OS, I have to plug in my PC to wired network, then install this Network manager from software centre, and only after that, I can use my WiFi adapter to connect to wireless network. Very inconvenient!

Same.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#6 2021-08-24 08:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

tlmiller76 wrote:

... the default network management application the Q4OS team chooses to use is utterly garbage and mostly useless ...

This is Trinity desktop default network manager tool. Please report at upstream http://trinitydesktop.org/

Board footer