You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-19 16:26

missions.mike

I am extremely curious about this . . .

The page for Q4OS 4 Gemini  [testing version] says:

The minimal hardware requirements are defined as follows:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk

I am very curious as to how that can be?

The last plasma distro (Neon 5.22.4) I tried was idling with nothing open at 1GB of ram (granted the CPU usage was averaging 2-4%), and I had to abandon it even though I liked it a lot. I only have 3 GB of ram and I normally work with 6 desktops and several applications open at a time on all 6. Not to mention being on the Internet with all my stuff going on.

With Xfce 4.12 I am normally running around 800 MB of ram, and run it into 1.25 (or so) every now and then, CPU reaching 50-75% on peaks and hovering around 10-15% normally.

Please help me understand this, and thank you very much for all your help. I would love to run a plasma desktop on this ol' laptop.

Cheers!

#2 2021-08-19 22:33

danielson

Re: I am extremely curious about this . . .

@missions.mike
- i am by no means a tech expert, but most Debian based distros must find ways to trim down the .iso size, especially the latest Bullseye!
- a Linux OS will use according to RAM available.
- most distros i've tried so far, always use more than what i've seen announced or reported in videos.
- cpu usage varies too. Q4OS has been thus far (for me), one that keeps it at a pretty low, stable level - much better than most others distros.

Hope this helps! And welcome to Q40S forum!

DELL Optiplex 7060 - 8G RAM.

#3 2021-08-20 02:39

Tolkem

missions.mike wrote:

The page for Q4OS 4 Gemini  [testing version] says:

The minimal hardware requirements are defined as follows:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk

I am very curious as to how that can be?

The last plasma distro (Neon 5.22.4) I tried was idling with nothing open at 1GB of ram (granted the CPU usage was averaging 2-4%), and I had to abandon it even though I liked it a lot. I only have 3 GB of ram and I normally work with 6 desktops and several applications open at a time on all 6. Not to mention being on the Internet with all my stuff going on.

With Xfce 4.12 I am normally running around 800 MB of ram, and run it into 1.25 (or so) every now and then, CPU reaching 50-75% on peaks and hovering around 10-15% normally.

Please help me understand this, and thank you very much for all your help. I would love to run a plasma desktop on this ol' laptop.

Cheers!

If by "I tried latest Neon 5.22.4" you meant that you did from a Live USB, then you should know that usually a Live USB uses more RAM than when installed, since everything's loaded from RAM. I have Neon installed in the same machine(with 2 GiB of RAM)Q4OS is too, and in idle I've seen RAM usage around 400 MiB, and Q4OS(Plasma) is around that number too. Months ago, I was running Q4OS from a USB stick, cause the HDD died, and it took me a while to replace it, the USB has only 8 GiB, and after installed there was still 4 GiB free to use, tho I did choose minimal profile and didn't install much stuff. Also, keep in mind that those are "the minimal requirements", it doesn't mean everything will work, specially web browsers, which might use around 300 MiB just on start, with no tabs open but just the home page. Plasma isn't the resource hog it is used to be, back in Plasma 4 or even 3/3.5. It is now a lighter DE, and also a more, much powerful one.  smile

#4 2021-08-20 03:45

missions.mike

danielson wrote:

@missions.mike
- i am by no means a tech expert, but most Debian based distros must find ways to trim down the .iso size, especially the latest Bullseye!
. . .
Hope this helps! And welcome to Q40S forum!

You got that right! I am actually "debian shy" (as in gun shy) because of Buster. I was using it with openbox and was shocked by the resource hogging it was doing -- that is compared to Stretch. I went back to Xubuntu and and got more power with pretty much the same resource usage.

So Yes! you have helped me. Thank you!

Tolkem wrote:

@missions.mike
If by "I tried latest Neon 5.22.4" you meant that you did from a Live USB, then you should know that usually a Live USB uses more RAM than when installed,

Yeah, I wondered about that. I just have this "issue" with Debian since Buster and now am up in the air about what might be the 'future of Debian'. I hope I am wrong.

You make a great case and I will go with your suggestions. Thank you!

Board footer