You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-29 19:45

aluma

Does an ordinary user need system administrator tools?

Q4os 2.7 has been working for a year and a half without any errors.

All the while, rsyslog is keeping track of what the kernel is doing, systemd, X-servera etc.
Then cron calls logrotate, which erases the old one (special hello to SSD owners smile).

But you don't need to read this never occurred!

In case of critical errors, it's easier for me to reinstall the wasps or see the state of the hardware using a live image.
All this consumes computer resources for nothing.

Second, run in the terminal "sudo service --status-all", if there is no local network, why avahi and samba or cups without a printer?

And it was advised to start "tdedebugdialog" and uncheck all the marks back in the days of KDE 3.0.

This is my subjective opinion, maybe some of my colleagues have a different one, welcome.

#2 2021-04-30 06:01

bin

Re: Does an ordinary user need system administrator tools?

I agree that there is a whole lot of loggin' going on and that does bug me too having been using SSDs since 2011.

Obviously you can remove the bits you don't want. Modemmanager and cups-browsed always go out the window as soon as possible. tdedebugdialog is a very useful tool indeed. I always think the system feels a bit snappier after killing it all off but it's probably entirely subjective.

I set .xession-errors to /tmp and /tmp is mounted in RAM using tmps - TDE isn't too bad, but plasma just spews out huge amounts of junk into .xsession-errors.

I found that XnviewMP uses .xession-errors as stdout to write out all it is doing - reams of the stuff. In the end I set it up to start from a script using nohup to dump all the output to /dev/null.

Best WIN is mounting great chunks of /var/log/.... in tmpfs as well. Not all of it, unattended-upgrades and apt I like to keep but the rest - meh! It's useful so infrequently that I just don't use it. I did run into a few issues some years back with clamav where it relied in an entry in /var/log which of course vanished every reboot yikes

There are probably a load more ways of trimming the fat even with something as lean as TDE.

#3 2021-04-30 14:57

Midas

It's always good to be made aware of such tweaks. Thank you both. cool

Last edited by Midas (2021-04-30 14:57)

#4 2021-05-02 07:28

aluma

Small addition.
To freely reinstall OS, you must first separate the root and home partitions of the hard disk. The screenshot shows at least one OS. If there are several of them, each has its own root section, home can be one for everyone, but user logins should be different.

Attachments:
jpg снимок42.jpg, Size: 44.36 KiB, Downloads: 357

#5 2021-05-15 09:09

aluma

Exclusively my subjective point of view.

Once GKrellM was popular, today Conky and other system monitors.
By displaying the system parameters, the user felt like a master, everything is under control! smile
In fact, information is needed to make decisions, it is a system administrator's tool and an ordinary user has 0 sense from it.

This is not a steam locomotive, the computer and OS by themselves will perform just as well in accordance with the software and hardware capabilities.
Convinced of this, I stopped controlling the computer and focused on the results of its work. smile

Last edited by aluma (2021-05-15 09:15)

#6 2021-05-16 17:10

aluma

If you really want toys ... smile

I can also suggest Open Visual Traceroute https://visualtraceroute.net/
The ovtr_1.7.1-1_i386.deb package works fine with Q4os 2.7.

Attachments:
jpg снимок49.jpg, Size: 120.54 KiB, Downloads: 358

Board footer