You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-01 18:02

nickanderson

Switch back to Trinity environment?

I ran the desktop profiler and switch to plasma. After a reboot, I see the mouse icon, I can move it around, but that's all. Whatcommand(s) will set me back to Trinity?

#2 2021-05-01 20:25

Tolkem

Re: Switch back to Trinity environment?

nickanderson wrote:

I ran the desktop profiler and switch to plasma. After a reboot, I see the mouse icon, I can move it around, but that's all. Whatcommand(s) will set me back to Trinity?

What profile did you choose? Minimal, basic or full? When you get to that black screen with a mouse cursor, hit Ctrl + Alt + F3 You'll be dropped to a tty(command prompt), log in with your credentials and try with this

startx

that should start either TDE or KDE, if that doesn't work, try

startplasma

or

starttde

If you get any errors, write them down and post them in your reply. If you managed to get to the desktop, we can try to troubleshoot and narrow down the problem, that is, if you still want plasma, otherwise just remove it.

Hope this helps! smile

#3 2021-05-02 17:18

nickanderson

Hope this helps!

Indeed, it does, thanks.

What profile did you choose? Minimal, basic or full?

I am pretty sure that I chose basic.

startx

Yep, that started TDE.

If you get any errors, write them down and post them in your reply. If you managed to get to the desktop, we can try to troubleshoot and narrow down the problem, that is, if you still want plasma, otherwise just remove it.

I ran swprofiler.exu. It says Desktop environment: KDE Plasma. I followed the >, checked Yes, I really want to install additional DE and selected Trinity.

It churned on packages and after reboot I go back to that same mouse cursor on black/white screen. I tried removing q4os-desktop-plasma but that didn't seem to change anything. Seems like something is still configured for plasma.

#4 2021-05-02 18:18

Tolkem

nickanderson wrote:

Hope this helps!

Indeed, it does, thanks.

Glad it did. You're welcome.

What profile did you choose? Minimal, basic or full?

I am pretty sure that I chose basic.

Pretty sure and really sure are not the same thing. According to @q4osteam, a basic profile is recommended for a better experience in these situations.

startx

Yep, that started TDE.

Good.

I ran swprofiler.exu. It says Desktop environment: KDE Plasma. I followed the >, checked Yes, I really want to install additional DE and selected Trinity.
It churned on packages and after reboot I go back to that same mouse cursor on black/white screen. I tried removing q4os-desktop-plasma but that didn't seem to change anything. Seems like something is still configured for plasma.

So, were you originally using Plasma and installed TDE? Or was it the other way around? I understood you did the latter; had TDE and installed Plasma. Did I get that wrong?

#5 2021-05-02 19:45

aluma

Hi, nickanderson.
Linux, in fact, consists of two parts, the system itself and the graphical interface, the latter is called the X -server.
So it doesn't start in your case. It is quite possible to determine the error from the logs, fix it and run the required DE.
But it's easier to just reinstall the OS, turn to the old Linux users... smile

#6 2021-05-02 20:32

Tolkem

aluma wrote:

Hi, nickanderson.
Linux, in fact, consists of two parts, the system itself and the graphical interface, the latter is called the X -server.

While correct, it isn't really accurate; There's Wayland too, and some distros are already using it as default, .i.e. Debian and other distros using Gnome as the DE do.

#7 2021-05-02 20:34

nickanderson

So, were you originally using Plasma and installed TDE? Or was it the other way around? I understood you did the latter; had TDE and installed Plasma. Did I get that wrong?

Originally after a clean install it was running TDE. Then I thought I would take plasma for a spin to see performance difference. So, originally, I would be brought to the graphical login screen. After trying to install plasma I no longer get the login screen.

Bah, surely it's just some simple config change.

#8 2021-05-02 20:44

nickanderson

Indeed, simple config change.

So, after attempting to switch to plasma, it seems that sddm was set as the display manger. I ran

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity

and selected tdm. Now I a working login screen.

Thanks for all the help!

#9 2021-05-02 22:14

Tolkem

nickanderson wrote:

Indeed, simple config change.

So, after attempting to switch to plasma, it seems that sddm was set as the display manger. I ran

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity

and selected tdm. Now I a working login screen.

Thanks for all the help!

I thought about that but didn't mention because wasn't sure whether desktop profiler would install another display manager, which of course would conflict with the one that's already installed, in your case TDM, it all seems that indeed it does and one would think that it shouldn't. You might want to remove sddm to avoid future issues.

#10 2021-05-03 07:40

aluma

nickanderson wrote:

Bah, surely it's just some simple config change.

I will certainly not argue and am sincerely glad that you managed to find a simple solution!

Not quite on the topic.
This conflict tdm/sddm, most likely, was recorded somewhere in the logs. Previously, for such situations, the MC console file manager was installed by default. Without it, just by commands, you can cope, but you have to keep the commands in your head. smile
Regards.

Board footer