You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-16 01:00

niftyprose

Clearing up #1: Zoom and Slack

Hello guys, I've now moved most of my computers over to Q4OS, which suits me very well. I'm left with a number of trivial issues which I will address via community queries over the next few weeks. (I hope I don't bore anyone.)

#1 This is actually two different issues, but I suspect that they have a common origin.

#1a I don't like Zoom. My copy is working fine but its integration with chromium-browser isn't working. Zoom users will be aware that you can send someone a meeting invite via e-mail. If you open the message in a browser, the browser displays an 'Open xdg-open' dialog and launches a separate Zoom window. On Q4OS, I get the dialog but not the Zoom window. There must be some trivial setting that handles this.

#1b I don't like Slack, either, and the new version is much less well-integrated with Linux than the previous one. If you've installed the Slack client, you should be able to click on a Slack e-mail and launch the software, again using xdg-open. This is all theoretical because Slack ran so badly on my computer that I deinstalled it. Fortunately there's a link in the Slack message screen which says 'you can open this link in your browser' and it kind of works, sticking the Slack content into chromium or whatever you're using. But Slack produces gigantic multi-page layouts in a tiny 'cinemascope' viewport, and it's impossible to navigate them unless your cursor keys are working. The cursor keys worked fine on my previous distro but not on Q4OS. ???

Grateful for help from more experienced Q$OS users.

Best, NP

Last edited by niftyprose (2021-04-16 10:17)

#2 2021-04-17 08:51

niftyprose

Re: Clearing up #1: Zoom and Slack

Hi guys, I found a third problem which I suspect relates to the two described in my last post. I'm sure I'm not alone. Maybe someone has a fix? Here are the three:

1. If someone sends me a Zoom invite, clicking on it doesn't open the Zoom client. I get the 'open xdg-open dialog' but nothing more. (BTW, I know how to retrieve the ID and pw from the browser window so I can still attend the meeting, but it would be good to have the automatic open.)
2. I'm on a Slack group. I don't like the Slack client, so if someone sends me a Slack invite I choose the 'open in browser' option. The Slack content is then displayed in a chromiuum viewport ***BUT*** the cursor (arrow) keys don't work so it's difficult to navigate. On my previous distro, the cursor keys worked in this context.
3. In Zoom, the cursor keys don't work. Once again, difficult to navigate.

I suspect that these problems have a common origin and are a trivial fix.

Best, W.

Last edited by niftyprose (2021-04-17 09:03)

Board footer