You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-13 13:24

niftyprose

YATE softphone

Dear Q4os team,

I'm sending an informal greeting separately. This is a 'new user' request that you make available a particular package for Q4os. I'm sure that you get many such requests so I will explain carefully why I think this would be a good use of your time.

Skype is the de facto standard for internet telephony, but the Linux version is poorly supported and wasteful of RAM. It is 'bloatware' of a kind that most of the users who have chosen Q4os can't afford.

I've tried six or seven open-source softphone packages and YATE is my favourite by far -- lightweight, elegant, stable. However, it's not easy to install it outside of Ubuntu space. I've therefore switched to Empathy with the SIP extension on my Q4os boxes. Empathy is available from your repository and installs easily, but it's not a dedicated SIP client like YATE and seems heavier on resources.

YATE-client packages are available for several Linux distros, and the developer has kept the sources downloadable. I imagine a Q4os version would be a relatively easy project. Any chance?

Best, NP

#2 2021-04-13 15:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: YATE softphone

Yes, we will take a look on Yate and post back, if possible.

#3 2021-04-13 15:58

niftyprose

Re: YATE softphone

Thanks guys. I hope you love it! Best, W.

Board footer