You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-06 13:44

bin

KDE and Colour Profiles in Debian

Having gone from Plasma hater to vaguely Plasma tolerant I've been taking a few final runs at Gemini, Quark and various other flavours of KDE Plasma on both Debian and Ubuntu bases.

Photography is my thing and it was whilst reading a discussion over on dpreview.com that I happened across something that has previously not been an issue. The side effect of the discussion was me finding Debian KDE has not got Colour Profiles.

I hadn't been looking too hard up to this point - it's taken a while to get the UI to look like I want it to and work out which native apps I can use.

Digging around revealed that Debian's colord-kde is still in Experimental which means it sees the light of day sometime around 2025!

That is just plain bonkers. Flipped over to Quark - which is Ubuntu Focal (20.04) - and grabbed colord-kde from there.

It installs perfectly in Gemini and works. OK I know you shouldn't mix - but I do and sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't!

#2 2021-04-06 17:31

Tolkem

Re: KDE and Colour Profiles in Debian

bin wrote:

Having gone from Plasma hater to vaguely Plasma tolerant I've been taking a few final runs at Gemini, Quark and various other flavours of KDE Plasma on both Debian and Ubuntu bases.

Photography is my thing and it was whilst reading a discussion over on dpreview.com that I happened across something that has previously not been an issue. The side effect of the discussion was me finding Debian KDE has not got Colour Profiles.

I hadn't been looking too hard up to this point - it's taken a while to get the UI to look like I want it to and work out which native apps I can use.

Digging around revealed that Debian's colord-kde is still in Experimental which means it sees the light of day sometime around 2025!

That is just plain bonkers. Flipped over to Quark - which is Ubuntu Focal (20.04) - and grabbed colord-kde from there.

It installs perfectly in Gemini and works. OK I know you shouldn't mix - but I do and sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't!

Hmmm... I have colord installed in Gemini

apt-cache policy colord
colord:
  Installed: 1.4.5-3
  Candidate:  1.4.5-3
  Version table:
 *** 1.4.5-3 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I see there's a kcolorchooser - color chooser and palette editor don't know if that will do what you want, but there's that. There's also colord-gtk-utils - miscellaneous GUI utilities interacting with colord https://packages.debian.org/search?suit … rds=colord

#3 2021-04-07 06:08

bin

Re: KDE and Colour Profiles in Debian

Colord is not the problem, it's how KDE and its app interact with colour profiles that is the problem. The GTK tool is gnome-color-manager

Different software does it in different ways. Some allow you to point to a monitor profile, others rely on the system to provide it.

The tricky bit is that some of this is not documented, some authors just don't do it, some older software relies on an old and unsupported CMS library....

Being able to hand over to the profile via the DE is the most sane way of doing it.

Board footer