You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-14 19:33

heroko

Encrypted hard drive

Hallo,

I have installed Q4OS Centaurus Plasma with encrypted hard drive.

After entering the passphrase, I get following message:

Error: acces denied.
Error: no such cryptodisk found.
Error: disk 'cryptouuid/aac...' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

The numbers of hd0,gpt2 and cryptouuid are identic.

What can I do?

sorry for my bad english.

Thank you
heroko

#2 2021-03-05 01:32

upALLnight

Re: Encrypted hard drive

Also encountering this problem ^ after what was such an impressively smooth install. Typed in a suggested fix but all I got was

"Syslinux 6.04 EDD 6.04-pre1 Copyright (c) 1994-2015 H Peter Anvin et al
boot:"

With no instructions I could find as to what to do next. Tried replugging USB to reinstall but only went to same Syslinux read out.

Last edited by upALLnight (2021-03-05 01:34)

#3 2021-03-05 09:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We are not able to reproduce the issue. Please, would you specify the installation type and media used, BIOS type and an installation procedure in short for us to be able to reproduce and investigate the issue ?

#4 2021-03-05 19:52

upALLnight

I *may* be able to save us all some time. Was on this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightweight.linux

And a member advised that:

"Nothing with systemd for a pre-haswell CPU, they are not friends."

As q4os includes versions for old systems I think this might be what is happening in my case, with an 11 year old Acer Aspire 5740 which the Acer site does not even recognise the serial number for anymore. A bit of a beasty back in the day - i5 4gb 465gb - but pre-uefi, according to a system check (can't remember but it was an app of some sort, there have been many these last two weeks of trying to get various systems installed and working reliably)

Have done short-run memtests and HDD tests and not found any problems (should do overnighters I know) but am stuck on the above for the moment.

To answer your question tho?

Installation type and media: usb / 32gb Kingston DataTraveller (new)
BIOS: BIOS (not uefi)
Installation procedure: download q4os-3.14-x64.r2.iso on win10 desktop, burn with rufus 3.13, shift-F8 into Acer boot, installation with encryption.

I remember reading somewhere that attempting encryption on installation can invite complications, but remembered that too late. Any advice gratefully accepted for getting out of Syslinux ^ readout. Shift-f8 not working for boot anymore.

thanks,

UAN

#5 2021-03-05 22:00

upALLnight

I may be the dumbest Linux user for not knowing this but did not realise boot: could be answered with Enter - to which my new Boot Repair USB responded immediately, see:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/PJk9sP2962/

From another test, it looks like the disk is "pre-fail" and "old age" so not expecting any great life from it, and will save all data files created online. But it will hopefully get me through the next few weeks/months or even years if I keep using it from a live USB.

Meantime, I shall go back and try Q4os and hit "Enter" when I see boot: !

Board footer