You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-19 14:06

Tolkem

Gemini: "No bootable device after install"

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! smile

I tried Gemini r.c-4.3, installation went fine, a bit longer than Centaurus' though, however, upon reboot I was greeted by "No bootable device found" error message, thus the system wouldn't boot, I tried reinstalling grub but that didn't work. This happened to me once too with Gemini r.c-4.1, but at that time I was able to use the system for a couple of weeks, then after an update/upgrade and reboot, found the same message. I tried in a USB stick where Centaurus installs and works just fine.  Not sure what's causing this, but my guess is that some pkg (grub?) update/version might be the culprit. I'll try with a Bullseye netinstall.iso and see if the problem occurs there too.

#2 2021-01-19 14:47

tlmiller76

Re: Gemini: "No bootable device after install"

I've also seen this if the machine being installed on is UEFI booting, but has CSM (compatibility support module, aka MBR or Legacy booting) enabled.  The live ISO will detect CSM, boot in legacy mode, install grub to MBR.  Upon reboot, UEFI doesn't detect a CSM USB key, and looks for a EFI partition, there isn't one, so the above error.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2021-01-19 14:47)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#3 2021-01-19 14:55

Tolkem

tlmiller76 wrote:

I've also seen this if the machine being installed on is UEFI booting, but has CSM (compatibility support module, aka MBR or Legacy booting) enabled.  The live ISO will detect CSM, boot in legacy mode, install grub to MBR.  Upon reboot, UEFI doesn't detect a CSM USB key, and looks for a EFI partition, there isn't one, so the above error.

The machine is indeed UEFI with legacy Bios support, and it's enabled. The EFI partition was there just as it is on Centaurus /boot/EFI, which like I said works just fine, the problem is on Gemini only.

#4 2021-01-20 16:50

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Tolkem
Did you resolve the issue ?
Does the Bullseye netinstall behave the same way ?

Last edited by q4osteam (2021-01-20 16:56)

#5 2021-01-20 17:00

Tolkem

q4osteam wrote:

@Tolkem
Did you resolve the issue ?
Does the Bullseye netinstall behave the same way ?

I still haven't tried using Bullseye netinstall but as soon as I do will post my findings here.

#6 2021-01-21 02:28

Tolkem

@q4osteam, I tried with Bullseye net install, I used this one I have around debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso, it worked; after install and reboot system booted properly, and I was able to login. I didn't install any DE but worked in text-mode only. I rebooted and logged in to Centaurus and did a web search on how to connect to my wireless via command line because I had no idea, once I found that wanted to boot again Bullseye, but it didn't work this time; same "no bootable device" error message again, which is even weirder than it happened with Gemini. This is the contents of  grub.cfg file on EFI/debian dir:

search.fs_uuid e299d1ba-a435-40cd-b7fc-18f56f3a74bc root hd1,gpt2 
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg

In that directory I see these files:
ZYJHV62.png

Could it be that the partition these files are stored isn't being mounted at boot? Maybe it is indeed grub bullseye's version the culprit?

#7 2021-01-21 10:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for the valuable report, we are going to investigate that. At the first sight, it looks like Bullseye's Grub doesn't handle the CSM mode properly. Does the BIOS use CSM or plain UEFI ? Is Secure boot off ?

We can recommend to use "nmtui" terminal tool to connect wireless networks.

#8 2021-01-21 14:31

Dai_trying

Are you trying to add Q4OS to a Debian install?

Cross posting is not considered good netiquette.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 59#p733408

Last edited by Dai_trying (2021-01-22 08:06)

#9 2021-01-21 16:03

Tolkem

Dai_trying wrote:

Are you trying to add Q4OS to a Debian install?

Cross posting is not considered good netiquette.

http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mo … 9#pr733408

No. Cross posting? I don't think I did that, besides, Q4OS is a Debian based distro. My post in that forum is on Debian only and has nothing to do with Q4OS. I'm trying to find out why this is happening. Seems like you didn't read this thread, if you had, you knew the issue happened first with Gemini. I tried Bullseye because that's the base for Gemini, to see if the problem appeared there too, which it did, then I decided to post in Debian's forum to try and see if can get a solution that helps solving it, and they pointed me here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148510 which I intend to try after carefully reading and understanding the procedure explained there.

#10 2021-01-21 16:12

Tolkem

q4osteam wrote:

Thanks for the valuable report, we are going to investigate that. At the first sight, it looks like Bullseye's Grub doesn't handle the CSM mode properly. Does the BIOS use CSM or plain UEFI ? Is Secure boot off ?

We can recommend to use "nmtui" terminal tool to connect wireless networks.

Secure boot is off, I just checked in bios settings. I think it uses CSM, legacy bios compatibility is on, is that what you're asking? I know how to use a terminal tool to connect to a wireless network; ceni, connman, wicd... the problem was I needed to install any of those first and had no connection at all.

#11 2021-01-21 17:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

This does not seem to us to be cross-posting in any way. The issue most likely comes from Debian upstream and affects Q4OS as a derivative, so posting on Debian forum should be absolutely all right. It's important to figure out what's happening, comparison Q4OS and Debian is the proper and valuable way. We appreciate reporting by @Tolkem.

#12 2021-01-22 08:03

Dai_trying

Identical UUID's are hard to come by!

#13 2021-01-22 09:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

Identical UUID's are hard to come by!

If we understand correctly, the UUID is the Debian disk id not Q4OS, so discussing the Debian issue on Debian forum would be helpful and correct for Debian users. @Tolkem has made testing on a plain Debian install, it helps us greatly, again we appreciate such a good work. As a derivative, we need Debian values for a comparison, so posting here is all right too. Maybe sharing the link between forums would be the appropriate way ?

#14 2021-01-22 18:02

Dai_trying

My apologies, I forgot the earlier part about using the bullseye installation when reading.

#15 2021-02-02 12:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Tolkem
It would be helpful, if you would report this as a new bug https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/

#16 2021-02-02 13:40

Tolkem

q4osteam wrote:

@Tolkem
It would be helpful, if you would report this as a new bug https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/

Done https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/147/

#17 2021-03-01 17:50

Tolkem

@q4osteam I installed Gemini, and it's working just fine. smile Conditions are a bit different though:
In my previous attempt at trying Gemini, I wanted to install it to USB stick, just like I did with Centaurus with no issues, as you know I got that "no bootable device" error as well as in Bullseye when I install it from a netinst.iso. The reason I was using a USB stick is the laptop had no HDD, now it does. So, maybe the problem occurs only when installing to a USB stick, cause I got no errors and didn't have to do any special procedures whatsoever; just install, reboot and use. I'm writing this from it. smile I did have one small problem on first boot; the timezone didn't work as expected and I had to manually change the time, after updating/upgrading and rebooting it does now.

#18 2021-03-02 15:10

arturasb

Tolkem wrote:

I tried Gemini r.c-4.3, installation went fine, a bit longer than Centaurus' though, however, upon reboot I was greeted by "No bootable device found" error message, thus the system wouldn't boot, I tried reinstalling grub but that didn't work. This happened to me once too with Gemini r.c-4.1, but at that time I was able to use the system for a couple of weeks, then after an update/upgrade and reboot, found the same message. I tried in a USB stick where Centaurus installs and works just fine.  Not sure what's causing this, but my guess is that some pkg (grub?) update/version might be the culprit. I'll try with a Bullseye netinstall.iso and see if the problem occurs there too.

Hi.

A workaround:
1. Boot to installation media again.
2. Install GParted or use storage management utility of your choice.
3. Set the "boot" flag to your root partition.
4. Reboot normally.

This helped me fix couple of installations which resulted to "No bootable device found".

Last edited by arturasb (2021-03-02 15:10)

#19 2021-03-02 15:15

Tolkem

arturasb wrote:
Tolkem wrote:

Hi.

A workaround:
4. Reboot normally.

This helped me fix couple of installations which resulted to "No bootable device found".

Thanks. However, I installed Gemini and it is working fine. I might try your suggestion when installing to a USB stick where, as I said, it seems it's where the problem happens, as far as I can tell based on my experience.

#20 2022-04-03 08:20

pametnix

tlmiller76 wrote:

Hi,

Has this problem been solved?

I want to install Q4OS Gemini Trinity alongside Win10 through manual partition option, so I can set root, swap, and home. I already did it on several computers without problem (not Gemini, earlier versions).

However, now, I have installed Q4OS through manual partition option, but I didn't set EFI partition (there was a message, but I thought that installation will take care of it by itself). Thus, installation finished and after restart I couldn't start neither Win10 nor Q4OS.

After that I have tried to reinstall Q4OS, it does recognize EFI and MBR, not UEFI, but if I choose replace partition option, it wants to create EFI at USB Live location (sdb) and to start Q4OS from there. I think that EFI should be at sda (hard disk), but I'm really just guessing here.

I tried again manual partition and created fat32 partition with boot and esp flags, yet installation failed.

At that moment, I used Win10 usb to repair boot and now Win10 works.

If I disable CMS in BIOS, after restart always BIOS starts. So, I guess I have Win10 legacy installation.

How to install Q4OS with manual partition? Do I disable CMS and then install Q4OS? Will Win10 work? Or do I repeat installation process and after that this

arturasb wrote:

A workaround:
4. Reboot normally.

Will Win10 work? Can I somehow control where to put EFI?

#21 2023-06-25 22:09

hichemkanon

from two days before i was trying to solve this problem, and finally the problem solved,
* i have laptop acer travelmate, and i was installing q4os normally with/without secure boot, and always when the installer end, and i restart the pc, i get the message "No Bootable device", and now i want to share with you and who have this problem all the steps i did.

***** PART 1 installation os os ***********
*restart your pc and enter to the bios settings by pressing f2.
*at the boot section in the bios settings set secure boot enabled.
*in the security section, in the "set Supervisor Password" in "set User password", set a new password if you don't have (to get additionals options visible).
*save...
*now put in your usb q4os bootable and boot into it.
*do all the first steps, and in the step of choosing the partition where should be the os installed, choose manual partitioning.
*delete all the partitions, and create :
- one 1gb(1000Mib) FAT32 /boot/efi  flag boot
- one 4gb(4000Mib) linuxswap flag swap
- and all the rest i created it as root partition ** Btrfs ** "/"  flag root 
*then install the os.
*once the installation done, restart and unplug the usb.
*enter to the Bios settings by pressing f2.

******** PART 2 SETUP BOOT SETTINGS
*in the security section, under "secure boot mode" click on "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing"
then select HDD0
then <EFI>
then select the q4os... from the list
then click on shimx64.efi then click ok ...ect.
*save and restard
------------------------
that's all what i do today to solve the "No bootable device" and get the Q4OS work.
sorry for my bad eglish, and i hope this steps help someone

Board footer