You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-28 19:19

barquest

Alternate file managers

I do not like the default file manager, so I installed some others.

Cinnamon's Nemo is usually a great file manager, as it has all user folders on the left side. But not on Trinity, which only has user, desktop, and trash. Thunar has the same problem, but I cannot remember if it is better on Xfce systems. Is this configurable?

I installed Dolphin, but when I started it, I saw an error dialog with the message "There are two actions (New Tab, New Tab) that want to use the same shortcut (Ctrl+T). This is most probably a bug. Please report it in bugs.kde.org." Is this a Trinity bug or a KDE bug?

#2 2021-01-29 06:23

bin

Re: Alternate file managers

You haven't said which version of Q4OS you've installed. The following applies to TDE

For Thunar you need a file  ~/.configtde/gtk-3.0/bookmarks

file:///home/your-user-name/Documents
file:///home/your-user-name/Downloads
file:///home/your-user-name/Music
file:///home/your-user-name/Pictures
file:///home/your-user-name/Videos

#3 2021-01-30 21:35

barquest

Sorry, I did neglect to mention the installed version. I downloaded and installed "Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, install-cd - 64bit / x64 ... 464 MBytes." I chose the middle option of features. I chose Trinity (TDE) over KDE Plasma.

Thanks for the configuration details. Thunar is a good file manager.

#4 2021-02-02 22:46

cpcnw
Website

Quite like this one;

http://roland65.free.fr

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#5 2021-02-11 22:31

barquest

@bin

I tried the bookmarks file you suggested. All of the entries appear after the standard (I'm doing this from memory): user, Desktop, Trash. In other words, if I create a bookmarks file that includes an entry for Desktop, I'll end up with two entries for Desktop in the left menu. There must be a bookmarks file somewhere in /usr/share (or something like that) that includes the standard entries. Do you know the location of that bookmarks file?

Last edited by barquest (2021-02-12 00:34)

#6 2021-02-12 07:05

bin

The bookmarks file you create needs only the entries that are not already there.

In the left hand pane in Thunar there are 3 sections - Devices, Places, Network.

Right click on any one of those words and a selection menu pops out to allow you to enable or disable individual items.

I do not recommend you use that to switch off one of your Desktop entries - get the bookmarks file correct as I showed above.

Board footer