You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-09 18:01

Rademes

Q4OS and Huananzhi motherboard.

Good day!
I want to restore my old PC, which has CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 and motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G. The motherboard is 10 years old and was working hard! I expect, that it will die soon...it is time after all. So I want to buy This bundle of CPU, Motherboard and RAM.
The problem is, I do not now at all, will this motherboard work with Q4OS or another Debian based Linux distro? Maybe somebody knows it? As I figured out, the developers have tested it only on Windows 10.
P.S. Currently, I do not want to spend money on completely new PC.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2020-12-26 09:53

techsys

Re: Q4OS and Huananzhi motherboard.

I have a Huananzhi x79 system that I'll be bringing online sometime today. The motherboard I have isn't exactly like yours. I believe it's an older version, with only 2 memory slots. I've had Debian 10.7 on it before, but was distro hopping at the time. IIRC it felt kind of sluggish, but I honestly can't remember.
I think I'll go ahead and start the install. This will be a fresh install with no other OS on the system. I just have to move a bunch of wiring (remodeled my office/game room yesterday and got all the extra stuff piled up on the desk for that system)

I am also pretty new to linux, so will let you know from a newb how things went.

#3 2020-12-26 19:37

crosscourt
Website

Ive seen a few of these boards and the experience wasnt good. Bios is bare bones, they dont come with CMOS batteries, they had USB 2.0 only, only 2 dimm slots. One of them wouldnt boot due to bios issues which we resolved later on. Overall stability wasnt good either with 2 of the boards.
Its cheap thus it looks really attractive for a build but at least for me, stick to reliable brands where youll get support and bios updates when needed, plus you get a full featured bios that helps with both stability or overclocking if you chose to do so. So far Ive seen about 10 Chinese made mobos and none of them were a good experience.
Many of these boards were running Ubuntu, one with Arch and the rest with Win10. and there werent any issues with those OS.

Last edited by crosscourt (2020-12-26 23:57)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2020-12-26 22:10

techsys

I haven't had a chance to try installing it yet.
Crosscourt is right though. Ive seen a few of these boards not working right. I think I got lucky with mine. I've had Mx, *buntu, and a few other distros on it, without any problems.

#5 2020-12-27 00:02

crosscourt
Website

At the very least you can adjust memory timings but there arent any voltage adjustments. Cpu adjustments are almost non-existent.
Depending on which board youve got the dimm slots are too close to the cpu, which has created some heat issues. We had some issues with capacitors on one board.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

Board footer