You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-22 17:17

algojack

Starting executables with mouse

I'm using Centaurus with TDE (64 bit).

I am compiling code into executables (which have a GUI, so they should run by clicking), but the problem is that I can only run a created executable from the command line, not by clicking. The exes don't have any icon associated with them and when I right-click on the file icon in konqueror and select "properties", the type says unknown, but when I click on the spanner icon (Create new file type) I'm not sure what to do next. I can add a filename pattern, but what is the pattern for an executable?

I think this has something to do with file associations, any help appreciated.

#2 2020-12-23 06:38

bin

Re: Starting executables with mouse

The traditional method - esp with Konqueror - is to create a .desktop launcher and put the path to the executable in that in the command.

#3 2020-12-23 10:38

Rademes

Since you are able to launch your executables from command line (terminal) successfully, you can create a link to your executable and select an option to launch it in terminal (attachment). After that, you can double click on that link, and it will launch your executable in terminal.

Last edited by Rademes (2020-12-23 10:41)

Attachments:
png link-in-terminal1.png, Size: 51.91 KiB, Downloads: 375
png link-in-terminal.png, Size: 106.34 KiB, Downloads: 354

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2020-12-23 11:34

algojack

bin wrote:

The traditional method - esp with Konqueror - is to create a .desktop launcher and put the path to the executable in that in the command.

Yes, this works, but I often have multiple executables in one folder and they are changing all the time, and I don't want to have to keep creating links on the desktop. What I need to do is create an association with the executables so that they automatically run when clicking on them, but I can't see how to do this. I've looked at Control Centre/TDE Components/File Associations but I still can't see how I do it. I need to associate "x-executable" with the executables, but what is the File Pattern?

I've been trying to post an image here but the forum software won't let me.

#5 2020-12-23 11:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@algojack
Your account has been promoted to be able to post hyperlinks and attach files. Click "Post reply" > Attachment > Choose file

Board footer