You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-14 14:13

Robbie

Installation of Q4OS + Linux on older Mac OS

My question is very specific. Is it possible to install a version of Q4OS on a Mac under the Snow Leopard (10.6.8) OS in order to run an Ubuntu 20.4 distro such as Linux Lite 5.2?

Please note that I have very little time to process complicated installation procedures and that, being used to the Mac GUI, I have close to no understanding of terminal commands.

Thank you

#2 2020-12-14 17:38

wove

Re: Installation of Q4OS + Linux on older Mac OS

I am confused by what you are trying to do. Q4OS, Ubuntu, and Linux Lite should all install on a Mac that runs Snow Leopard. (Create USB installer, plug into USB port, hold down Option when turning on Mac). If you wishing to keep Snow Leopard for a dual boot, that is more complex, although it is possible that the Linux installers may have the ability to do that automatically. Snow Leopard will run VirtualBox and Q4OS, Ubuntu and Linux Lite can all be installed as a virtual machine using Virtual Box.

bill

#3 2020-12-14 19:43

Robbie

wove wrote:

I am confused by what you are trying to do. Q4OS, Ubuntu, and Linux Lite should all install on a Mac that runs Snow Leopard. (Create USB installer, plug into USB port, hold down Option when turning on Mac). If you wishing to keep Snow Leopard for a dual boot, that is more complex, although it is possible that the Linux installers may have the ability to do that automatically. Snow Leopard will run VirtualBox and Q4OS, Ubuntu and Linux Lite can all be installed as a virtual machine using Virtual Box.

bill

Yes, I'm very sorry. I was confused myself. I hadn't understood what was meant by the person who recommended that I use Q4OS. So I thought it was an emulator similar to VirtualBox.

My problem is that the last version of VirtualBox to run in Snow Leopard is 4.3.40. Installing the GuestAdditions gives an error with any version of Linux Lite higher than 3.x = Ubuntu 16.04 (I think.)

So, if I may reformulate my question, is it possible to run a version of Q4OS that is = Ubuntu 20.4 (or even 19.04) in that particular old version of VirtualBox, and still install the Guest additions? If so, what should I begin with — I assume on this page:

q4os.org/downloads1.html

or maybe on this one: q4os.org/downloads3.html

Apologies again.

#4 2020-12-15 03:39

wove

The Centaurus builds of Q4OS are built on Debian Buster and it might have better luck with the guest additions than builds based on Ubuntu. I would pick something from:

<https://q4os.org/downloads1.html>

bill

#5 2020-12-15 12:03

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could try Quark, it's Ubuntu 20.04 with Q4OS tools https://sourceforge.net/projects/quark-os/

#6 2020-12-15 23:09

Robbie

Many thanks to both of you. I will certainly work on your suggestions.

Robbie

Board footer