You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-16 16:41

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Q4OS 3.11 for Pinebook Pro

Q4OS for Pinebook Pro https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/ has switched to Debian Buster. The new major relase is Q4OS 3.11 and it's based on Armbian Buster and Trinity desktop stable R14.0.8 version.

Anyone is welcome for testing, download the Q4OS image from our SourceForge repository https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/testing/

Just try it out and share your experience.

#2 2020-05-18 00:25

wove

Re: Q4OS 3.11 for Pinebook Pro

It was very nice to see an updated test img for the Pinebook Pro. I had time this weekend to work with it. It seems a bit rougher around the edges than the prior image, but it also feels a bit snappier and fonts and images strike me as having a little more pop to them.

The img flashed to an SD card with no problems and it booted the Pinebook Pro quickly and without errors. You are first provided an option to set screen scaling. It is different than the former dpi picker, but works fine. Next you configure wireless, which again went fine. You then pick a new password, which is painless.

You then arrive at Desktop Profiler. If you select the mimimal desktop, nothing is downloaded or installed and you move on to the Q4 desktop. If you select to install either the basic or the more inclusive desktop packages you will get an error. This is because the password has changed and the installer does not have the correct permissions to change configuration files. This is not fatal, and if you log out and log back in and rerun the Desktop Profiler it will complete its task without further errors.

The did did not work out of the box and I found it difficult to get configured to work. The system tray includes Kmix and pasytray(?) both of which have sound settings. The control panel also has sound settings and a media player with add sound stuff to the system tray. The setting found within pasytray include two output devices. I found disabling one, and changing the settings of the other to multichannel output got sound working. Even though it is now working, it is not as loud as the prior test image, and volume settings are lost between boots. I may well have sound set up sub par, but I am clueless as to what the best settings should be.

I use the Look Switcher to pick the "Slide" theme. The Slide theme looks and works fine, however when you select that theme, it does not use the Q4OS startup splash, but uses the simple Trinty "initializing services" splash. Not an operation problem but Q4OS may want their branding displayed.

The Q4OS software installer works pretty. The inclusion of more software is nice and I found that it would also uninstall which was a delightful discovery. The software center does not install Firefox, the error is that it cannot fine the file q4os-firefox. Firefox-esr install fine.

Akregator does not work. When brought up as a panel in Kontact, it simply hangs the entire Kontact and if launched as a seperate application it either does not launch or hangs as soon as the window appears. From what I can tell it is not connecting correctly to its backend (metakit?). That is probably a Trinity error and has nothing to do Q4OS.

The new testing release uses a bit more RAM, but it is still pretty minimal. Power managment is very much improved. TDEPowersave dialog has most of information working. It still does not detect when the power adaptor is plugged in. Plugging the power adaptor in also generally results in the sound volume being set back to zero, but that may just my cobbled together sound settings.

I am assuming there is no way to update the prior testing release to the current release. For the time being I am going to continue with the prior release on my internal drive while further checking out the new release.

bill

#3 2020-05-18 08:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for the testing and reporting, this is very helpful for us to get such a valuable feedback from an independent side. We will try to resolve as much as possible and continue to post a progress here. smile

EDIT:
If you would need to download the legacy 2.7 image, please let us know, we can provide an access to that.

Last edited by q4osteam (2020-05-18 08:24)

#4 2020-05-18 12:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We can reproduce and confirm most of the issues you mentioned, fixing at least some of them is underway.

wove wrote:

The did did not work out of the box and I found it difficult to get configured to work.

Would you please provide more details on this ?

#5 2020-05-18 12:59

wove

I should refrain from posting late in the evening. That is meant to say the sound does not work after initial install.

The system tray has both Kmix and pasystray installed. To get sound working I ran the volume all the way up on Kmix. On pasystray volume control is the only option that does anything. The other options (default sink, default server, etc.) have nothing selectable.

Opening up pasystray volume control produces a settings box with a tabbed interface. Scrolling over to the last tab (configuration) shows two "Built-in Audio" options. I was able to get sound working by setting the top "Built-in Audio" to "off" and setting the other "Built-in Audio" to "Multichannel Output + Stereo Input. That setup produced audio for me.

With that setup the Kmix volume slider does not function and volume can only be controled with the volume slider located in the Output Devices tab of the pasystray. And those settings seem to be persistant.

When the system is restarted or the power jack is plugged in, the sound stopps workings. Strangly while the Kmix volume slider does not work, the trick to get sound working again is to simply move the Kmix volume slider up. While the Kmix volume slider does not control sound, it appears that sound does not work as long as the Kmix volume slider is stuck at the bottom.

My sould settings are a real mess and overall they are not a suitable easily useable fix. It strikes me that perhaps Kmix and pasystray are working at odds with each other.

bill

#6 2020-05-18 13:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, we can confirm the kmix and pasystray compete with each other some way.

The default output audio channel is preset to hdmi. The most easy, and probably most clean, way to get sound from internal speakers, is just to select speakers as the default pulseaudio fallback channel in the Pulseaudio control (pavucontrol) panel > Output devices > Built-in audio

#7 2020-05-18 14:08

wove

HDMI seems an odd choice for default sound output. The only way to get HDMI on the Pinebook Pro is via a USB C dock and there seems to be a lot of discussion on the Pine forums as to which docks available work with the device.

If you can recommend a good dock for the Pinebook Pro please share. In any event I really think it would be better to have the internal speakers set as the default sound output.

bill

#8 2020-05-18 14:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

wove wrote:

HDMI seems an odd choice for default sound output. ...

Yes, it's a bug.

#9 2020-05-18 16:46

wove

I updated the Pinebook Pro wiki <https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pineb … lease#Q4OS> to reflect that a user and new password are created on first run and removed reference to default user and password. The entry still points to the correct place to download the img for Q4OS.

#10 2020-05-18 17:05

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Great, thanks smile

#11 2020-12-02 16:23

KevonLaity

Hi...I downloaded and especially like the Q4OS on my pinebook genius, yet disapprove of piece modules:

q4os-2.7-pinebookpro.r5.zip picture is utilizing portion 4.4.203 yet the/lib/modules/organizer contains the 4.4.202/modules.

Accordingly, I can't get the Arduino Mega to interface. It appears on usb transport, yet needs the cdc-acm.ko which falls flat.

- how might I create the right modules?

- which adept bundles do I need to download and assemble the piece? Another alternative for me to add cdc-acm into the portion. I haven't assembled a part for a loooooong time.

This was the first occasion when I attempted Q4OS and especially like the interface. I'm getting it is utilizing kde 3.5, like my slackware machine

Board footer