You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-03 09:38

bin

From Virtualbox to Qemu-KVM

Well, I've been using Virtualbox off and on for a number of years and it has served me well - until just recently.

I have one tiny Windows program that absolutely has to have Windows to work - it's just a utility to get the shutter count off my camera. There is no other way to do it - thanks Canon - it won't talk to USB in WINE etc etc.

Now, back in the day when it was work related I used to run Windows 7 in vbox quite happily so I thought I'd just install it again and all should be well.

Cut a long story sideways - no way can I talk to to USB mass storage via vbox. It seems to be a known issue. Tried creating USB filters and so on as shown in some forums - no way.

So in the end I though NUTS and installed qemu-kvm and virtual manager. Imported the Windows 7 vdi and it all just works - USB redirection - sure no problem.

OK it's a bit of a learning curve and in the end I just deleted a number of older vdis to get more experience re-creating in virtual manager.

It's a little clunky in some places but it does what I want. There are issues with fonts and screen resolutions but for general iso testing it works OK. There may well be settings or configs to look at for this but that's the fun of learning.

#2 2020-10-03 14:48

Midas

Re: From Virtualbox to Qemu-KVM

Thanks for the tip, bin. Virtualization is a topic I'm very keen on... cool

#3 2020-11-15 18:34

crosscourt
Website

Hey bin. Dai also recommended qemu-kvk as an alternative with good results.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2022-05-24 09:04

medianjoe

Hi bin,

I know this is an old thread, but I have just successfully set up qemu-kvm with Win 7, but I don't know how to share files between host and guest. It seems quite complicated. Have you done this?

#5 2022-05-27 17:04

bin

medianjoe wrote:

Hi bin,

I know this is an old thread, but I have just successfully set up qemu-kvm with Win 7, but I don't know how to share files between host and guest. It seems quite complicated. Have you done this?

It can be done but it is as I recall somewhat arcane.

In the end I switched back to Virtualbox about 6 months ago - there are a few things that Qemu-KVM does better, but for my needs these days VB is much more flexible including guest/host sharing smile

Board footer