You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-07 20:27

Momchil

Q4OS 2.7 - WiFi constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

Dear all,

allow me to express my gratitude towards the team&community behind the Q4 OS!

I have found an old Asus 701 EEE laptop/netbook. I am trying to re-purpose and donate it for a child/family in my country studying remotely. I have upgraded the ram to 1GB, but the machine hardware is really weak. I tried with the actual 3.x version, but modern web-sites (ucha.se is the popular one in Bulgaria) can't be handled properly by Firefox. I tried with version 2.7 and the PC seems more responsive. There is the CPU frequency issue (600MHz vs 900MHz) mentioned it this forum as well.

The concrete issue I stumble upon is with constant WiFi network disconnect and reconnect.

I am personally a windows power user, but close to a noob in the linux ecosystem.

I know my question is very general but I could provide more details on the configuration, so that we could pin-point the issue.

PS: On version 3.x the WiFi networks is working just fine!

#2 2020-12-08 01:18

Fiflagar Lorizen

Re: Q4OS 2.7 - WiFi constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

Hello!
I just registered on this forum, so let me spend a word of appreciation for all the work done by the q4os community. You are great guys!!

I reply to you because I work with a similar situation. I'm not so techy so I just share my experience, maybe you can find something useful in it. I revived an old eeepc (1005ha version) and after a lot of trials I found that:

- q4os is the best linux distro for this eeepc, and I suppose for most old netbooks (q4os version 3.12 Centaurus)

- to surf the net Chromium is better than Firefox (for some reason is more compatible with the old Atom processor), but 2 GB of ram is required. The cost for 2GB of ram, ddr2, 667 MHz, is under 10 euros, I think you could easily find it in local stores. I don't suggest to put the 4GB ram stick, just because they are rare and cost over 30-40 euros, and 4GB are not necessarily needed for home use.
You could try Falkon web browser, it's fast. However, I prefer Chromium because it receives more constant security updates.

- one of the most beneficial upgrades I did was to put a SATA ssd into it. There are tutorials on youtube on how to disassemble it to access to the hard disk, remove it and replace it. I bought a 128 GB, quite cheap, you could find it under 20 euros. You can also buy for few cents a SATA-USB adapter and transform your old hard drive into an external storage. This SSD upgrade made the speed of startup, opening programs, and general responsiveness, more than double compared to previous HDD.

So, i suggest you to check if you can make these steps too. Consider that my eeepc is maybe a slighly different version than yours, but you can find all the details on wikipedia eeePC.

Oh, i was forgetting the most important thing, the wifi problem. For the WiFi, i have no experience, I don't have your issue. But an usb network card can cost like a coffee..., they are identical to the ones that provide bluetooth. My eeepc have 3 USB ports, more than enough to spend one on it, i don't know your model how many.

goodbye and good luck!

Fiflagar

#3 2020-12-08 12:04

Fiflagar Lorizen

EDIT: What I was also trying to say is that, maybe, upgrading a little bit more your eeepc you can achieve good performances also with the 3.x version and so you wont have problems with WiFi

#4 2020-12-08 14:42

Momchil

Hello, Fiflagar!

Thank you for the answer and hints. Unfortunately for the 701 version it can handle only 2GB of RAM and the SSD is soldered on the motherboard and I can't even think of replacing it (with my skills). I am donating the laptop and hope his new owner will find some use in it. Best of health to you and your family!

Momchil

Board footer