You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-05 09:44

tardima

User permissions issue when installing HP proprietary plugin (+)

As you might know HP Device manager is the ultimate tool for printing tasks under Linux.
Yes, Centaurus provides hplip (though 3.18.12 only, whilst current stable is 3.20.9) yet oftentimes "Your Device requires to install HP proprietary plugin" messagebox pops up when you add yet another printer, then you say "download please" only to arrive to the next modal window asking for root password to install freshly downloaded plugin.
That is where the issue arises.
There is only "root" value in Username field in the form, they only allow you to enter password for root and tap [OK]. But Q4OS never suggests to define root password on install, neither it allows me to create one (of course not, I was just curious what will OS say) upon installation completed.
So my question is: what is the root password for this hidden user of Q4OS? adminq never passes.
REQUIREMENT: you should implement option to enter root password [on the same form where one enters default user credentials] and ticks "autologin", exactly as they do in mature deb- and ub- based distributions.

Attachments:
png Screenshot from 2020-11-05 09-44-08.png, Size: 12.03 KiB, Downloads: 299

#2 2020-11-05 09:48

tardima

Re: User permissions issue when installing HP proprietary plugin (+)

Just to clarify why one would need such plugin -- to perform SCAN jobs on MFP, for instance. Exactly the problem I am facing in Q4OS right now.
Printing-only works fine though.
Thank you.

Last edited by tardima (2020-11-05 09:49)

#3 2020-11-05 09:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You may need to follow instructions in documentation https://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html#printer

Root password is disabled by default in Q4OS. You can manually enable and change the root password, if needed:
$ sudo passwd

#4 2020-11-05 10:03

tardima

Following instruction exactly I arrived to the issue I described firsthand.  hp-setup command launches GUI and arrives to the form with root password requirement.
What indeed helped is [$ sudo passwd] workaround. Plugin installed successfully and scaning jobs enabled. Great.
This {Root password is disabled by default in Q4OS. You can manually enable and change the root password, if needed: $ sudo passwd} suggestion is to add to FAQ definitely.
Thank you.

#5 2020-11-06 22:54

Tolkem

tardima wrote:

Following instruction exactly I arrived to the issue I described firsthand.  hp-setup command launches GUI and arrives to the form with root password requirement.
What indeed helped is [$ sudo passwd] workaround. Plugin installed successfully and scaning jobs enabled. Great.
This {Root password is disabled by default in Q4OS. You can manually enable and change the root password, if needed: $ sudo passwd} suggestion is to add to FAQ definitely.
Thank you.

Just wanted to add something; in order to enable/set a root password the whole command would be

sudo passwd root

you'll be asked for your user password, type it in, next type and confirm the password you want to set for root.

#6 2020-12-06 22:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@tardima
The issue has been fixed in Q4OS, "hplip" doesn't require root password anymore, you only need to enter sudo user password. First you need to update to the latest Q4OS version from repositories.

Board footer