You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-22 05:04

HAL_2000

Uninstalling an App (KPatience)

Very pleased with this brand new install of Q4OS / XPQ4, 64bit. 

The Win7 theming (XPQ4)  went well, and various applications installed with the easy installer flawlessly.

The medium weight desktop profile did not evidently include the Solitaire card game.

A quick internet search suggested that Linux Solitaire game KPATIENCE would be compatible in Debian.

Once installed it proved rudimentary.

I want to uninstall it.

QUESTION: how to uninstall it without damaging the installation?

Thanks in advance.

HAL

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#2 2020-09-22 06:49

bin

Re: Uninstalling an App (KPatience)

If you installed from the repository then you can just uninstall it via command line
The trick is which version - you may have installed kpat or kpat-trinity
kpat drags in loads of dependencies as it is KDE rather than Trinity - but no matter, they're all removable.
Open Konsole and sudo apt search kpat
That will show you the version - (installed) will show next to it.
sudo apt remove kpat or sudo apt remove kpat-trinity will do the trick
follow that with sudo apt autoremove to get rid of any additional related packages if you wish.

If you want Solitaire with Q4OS Centaurus then install Aisleriot and Gnome Cards Data - it's the only one worth using.

Sadly it is now broken for anything before Buster as a recent update to librsvg breaks the Gnomeangelo card set and there are no plans to fix it as it is treated as deprecated GTK2.

#3 2020-09-22 23:54

HAL_2000

Thank you bin,

I tried plugging your Konsole commands in.  I would have given you a screen shot of the result, but that is still a tad difficult. (I'm used to, in Windows, hitting PRTSCRN and then paste into IRFANVIEW.  I tried hitting PRNTSCRN in Q4OS - Trinity and pasting it into GIMP = no joy).  So I have to copy and paste from KONSOLE.

==================================
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
catdvi/stable 0.14-12.1+b1 amd64
  DVI to plain text translator

dh-vim-addon/stable,stable 0.2 all
  debhelper addon to help package Vim/Neovim addons

kpat/stable 4:18.04.1-1 amd64
  solitaire card games

kpat-trinity/qtde-buster-st 4:14.0.6-0debian10.0.0+0~a amd64
  Trinity solitaire patience game

kpatch/stable 0.6.0-0.2 amd64
  Runtime tools for Kpatch

kpatch-build/stable 0.6.0-0.2 amd64
  Build Tools for Kpatch and Livepatch

kpatch-dkms/stable 0.6.0-0.2 amd64
  DKMS module for Kpatch

libkpathsea-dev/stable 2018.20181218.49446-1 amd64
  TeX Live: path search library for TeX (development part)

libkpathsea6/stable 2018.20181218.49446-1 amd64
  TeX Live: path search library for TeX (runtime part)

texlive-base/stable,stable 2018.20190227-2 all
  TeX Live: Essential programs and files

texlive-plain-generic/stable,stable 2018.20190227-2 all
  TeX Live: Plain (La)TeX packages

vflib3/stable 3.6.14.dfsg-3+nmu4 amd64
  Versatile Font Library

vflib3-bin/stable 3.6.14.dfsg-3+nmu4 amd64
  Sample programs using VFlib3

vflib3-dev/stable 3.6.14.dfsg-3+nmu4 amd64
  Development files for VFlib3

vflib3-doc/stable,stable 3.6.14.dfsg-3+nmu4 all
  Documentation for VFlib3

adminq@q4os-desktop:~$ sudo apt remove kpat-trinity
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'kpat-trinity' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
adminq@q4os-desktop:~$ sudo apt remove kpat
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'kpat' is not installed, so not removed

==================================

As far as I can tell, the KPATIENCE card game is still installed, but KONSOLE does not seem to be finding it.

Guidance?

Many thanks in advance.

HAL

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#4 2020-09-23 09:37

bin

OK so how did you install it?

#5 2020-09-24 05:59

HAL_2000

I tried locating the page where I first learned of KPatience Solitaire but have been unable to locate it.

The first link was this one.
https://www.linux.com/news/it-takes-pat … solitaire/

So I will have to go on memory.

While I don't recall the exact commands, they were very short and there were only three of them.

I believe one involved installing GIT and another was "sudo apt install kpat."

That's precious little to work with, I know.

Additional information:

Searching for the program in the Q4OS/XPQ4 "Run" box results in finding two instances of KPATIENCE SOLITAIRE, one with an icon with cards in a vertical position, and another with the top card askew.  Clicking on those icons gives you the Solitaire game, but the game and menus are devoid of any text.

======================

EDIT:  I tried all these Konsole commands to remove KPAT.
https://installlion.com/ubuntu/xenial/u … index.html

Konsole keeps saying:

Package 'kpat' is not installed, so not removed

It's as if it was installed in a directory Linux cannot find.  And yet, when looking for the program in menu it can be found by drilling down to: START -> All Programs -> Programs -> Games -> Patience Card Game (2 instances)

======================

It would be easy enough to simply nuke the Install and start all over, but I want to learn how to uninstall programs or applications in Linux.  I am used to the Windows Remove Program feature, and even some uninstall programs for the stubborn programs.

It's a necessary skill and I might was well start here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HAL_2000 (2020-09-24 06:23)

#6 2020-09-24 07:29

bin

Well - lets start at the end.

If you want to install software do not just rush off and blindly follow links you find on the interweb thing.

Install Synaptic - you can find this in the Q4OS Software Installs.

Synaptic gives you access to the software that is known to run with Debian Buster/Q4OS. Its database driven, knows what goes where and handles installing and removing software.

By all means identify software that you think you would like to use on the web - but always come back to Synaptic to see if it is available in the Q4OS repositories.

Remember that you are using Trinity (TDE), not KDE. So for any KDE related software you look for a Trinity related package e.g kpat-trinity NOT kpat. Yes you can install KDE software - it will bring in whole swathes of extra stuff as it needs chuncks of KDE5 to run.

GTK software will be fine - again it pulls in what is needed. In reality Trinity apps are mostly not very good these days - many have seen no real love for years. That is distinct from the DE which of course is undergoing work all the time.

Learn to use Synaptic - do not be afraid to try stuff and if it all breaks then just start again. Along with that you will come to find the command line apt programme becomes useful - and Synaptic is really just a GUI for apt - plus or minus.

As regards what you've done with kpat - no idea. You could just start again or live with it. If it's any help I have gone down that road literally dozens of times  - each time you break something you learn.

#7 2020-09-24 08:40

HAL_2000

Actually, I just checked Synaptic and can now find KPAT and KPAT-Trinity entries.

The respective versions are 4.18.04.1-1 and 4.14.0.6-0debian10.0.1

I see the menu headings for installation.  I suppose it must also uninstall?

===========================
EDIT:  In Synaptic -> Properties -> KPat-Trinity Status = Not Installed. 

How odd.  It's there in the Programs -> Games menu. 

===========================

Insofar as Trinity versus other desktops, I'd like a good-looking one (my preference is for Windows XP or 7 icons) but not too heavy.

It's less of a concern with this one, compared to my other machines (I am trying to revive a collection of 32-bit 1.6+ GHz laptops for donation).

As always, thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by HAL_2000 (2020-09-24 08:47)

#8 2020-09-25 00:20

HAL_2000

Summary:  As a fairly new Linux user, I installed Q4OS / 64 bit Trinity and did so without issue.
I began to customize the Install  with things like adding PALEMOON as a browser, theme-ing the install with XPQ4, and still, all was well.

Then tried adding KPATIENCE Solitaire, which looked really ugly and did not work well at all.  So I wanted to uninstall it without damaging the underlying installation.  User bin provided some assistance, but the normal uninstall commands, for one reason or another, don't seem to work.  But along with his advice, did provide some useful hints, such as the use of the SYNAPTIC installer, and (by my understanding) that Trinity was aging as a DE.

To save time, I will chalk this up to experience and nuke this installation, reinstall and see what DE options are offered during reinstallation.  Here is a very interesting link for those in my position: one exploring LINUX after a lifetime of DOS/WINDOWS use:

LXDE vs Xfce.  Which is Better?

XFCE

"In addition to lightweight, XFCE brings more customization to the table. There are applications developed for XFCE, and things are tightly integrated. If you’re looking for excellent performance from a lightweight Desktop Environment but not ready to make the jump all the way to something like LXDE, then XFCE is perfect. It has a very loyal fan base of users for a reason."
https://www.maketecheasier.com/lxde-vs-xfce/

So, unless there is more to add to this thread, this time I will resolve it by simply reinstalling, since KPAT seems to resist all the normal uninstallation commands.

I do appreciate and will take User bin's advice to use SYNAPTIC in the future, at least in general. 

I may, however, begin another thread on Q4OS/XPQ4 / 64 in Xfce, if Xfce is offered as an option, if questions arise, or simply as a review.

My thanks.

HAL

#9 2020-09-25 07:14

bin

With respect - NO

What I said was

GTK software will be fine - again it pulls in what is needed. In reality Trinity apps are mostly not very good these days - many have seen no real love for years. That is distinct from the DE which of course is undergoing work all the time.

That is not the same as

User bin provided some assistance........such as the use of the SYNAPTIC installer, and (by my understanding) that Trinity was ageing as a DE.

TDE provides a very good graphical DE, and provided you put some effort into it it is very rewarding - especially on low resource machines.
As you have seen it gets a whole lot of love from things like the XPQ4 project and having played with theming other DE's to give that 'Windows Look' I can tell you that is no mean project in itself.

The problem is the TDE applications - not the same.

I cannot stress highly enough the importance of being ultra cautious when it comes to installing software via links and commands found on the web. By all means do learn to use the command line apt commands - but check to see if the software is in the default repos first. That way you avoid the situation you are in. We *could* eventually untangle what you've done via the log files. Navigating to /var/log/apt/history.log will show what commands you used to install the bits that you did. From there we can work out what happened and what files to locate and remove as well as straightening up the menu entries. Been there, done that. Not easy via a forum.

OK - feathers patted down - I have used XFCE extensively over the years. It has always been solid and reliable. It has also been very easy to tweak via config files. It is now moving over to GTK3 which I hate with a vengeance having to track down themes that actually provide what was always just built in to earlier versions - and than having to mess with .css files to get things to work.

That's just me having a grump 'cos I'm old and grumpy smile

If you are planning on deploying a DE to non-technical remote users then XFCE will provide a world that requires no explanation to those users.

That article is old. From a development point of view LXDE is gone and buried - sadly. I was a great fan and again used it a lot. The panel could be unstable but other than that it worked well. It has been replaced by LXQt.

The excellent Q4OS dev team have provided the means for you to install a whole raft of DE's and to be able to pick which you want at log in.

Enjoy!

#10 2020-09-26 00:22

HAL_2000

Well bin, apparently, you are old and grumpy.   ;-)

Still, you've put a lot of effort in providing some useful hints and knowledge.  I am appreciative.

I did, in fact, nuke that initial install and reinstall the OS, which is easy enough before I've tweaked the installation and loaded a who lot of data and links. 

The idea of Desktop Environments and Windows Managers is novel, from the  perspective of a long-time Windows user. 

In Windows, you could move things around but it was pretty much what it was out of the box, only with a different Wallpaper or a taskbar to one side, or along the top.  Unless you were advanced Geekoid, the Windows DE was what it was, full stop.

With Linux, apparently, you can have different DE's be they Cinnamon, Gnome, LXQt, Xfce, KDE and so forth.   And I am just learning about them as I go along.

Interesting that you should mention Xfce (is Xfce4 dramatically different?), because in a separate forum I was going to try to use Xcfe(4), in LXLE.  I  have heard especially good things about Xcfe4, since that supposedly provides additional means of modifying the DE.

On a related note, I've been trying to install Q4OS on a COMPAQ C700 (Intel Centrino 1.73 GHz) and for some reason, Q4OS is refusing to load.  Which is a shame and somewhat maddening, because I really do like Q4OS in many ways.

LXLE, however, did load and now I am seeing what can be done to call up its Xfce aspect after the fact. (unless you have an identical cousin "bin" in the LXLE forums, you might have seen that post already).

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

#11 2020-09-26 07:36

bin

XFCE4 is just the current version of XFCE - development is glacial so there's no need to refer to version numbers.

That's not a criticism by the way - the developer has always said it's ready when it's ready and that's fine with me.

The history of the XFCE desktop is fascinating - in its earliest incarnation its panel followed the old CDE layout - from the days of Solaris smile

Pop up drawers etc - lovely!

Anyhoo..... as I said, theming XFCE has become a bit of a pain with the use of GTK3, but there are a huge number of pre-made themes on xfce-look https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/138/order/latest/

Just like any modern DE the user settings tools provide for options to change the window appearance, icons, fonts, widgets, buttons etc.

I used LXLE for a number of years as you can see from the forum. Once it got to 18.04 I must admit I fell out of love because of the inclusion of a lot of MATE stuff which really pushed up the install size with a choice of apps I didn't really like. Also the huge number of PPAs involved could occasionally cause problems. 16.04 was another matter and I ran that on my wife's laptop up to about 6 weeks ago. I used the XFCE desktop to make it a bit more visually appealing and it ran with very few hitches.

Getting LXLE to run full XFCE is a bit of an odd direction to take. I do see the attraction of LXLE runs (phew) now lets add XFCE.

However, if the Compaq likes Ubuntu based distros I would start off with Lubuntu 18.04 http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/relea … -amd64.iso That is the basis for LXLE 18.04 without the addons but actually a very nice distro.

Linux Lite either v4 (Ububtu 18.04) or v5 (Ubuntu 20.04) would be a good choice for Ubuntu XFCE - Xubuntu is OK.... LL has a very good active forum and whilst not issuing an outright ban on snap as Mint has done, they do not enable snapd as a whole extra sub-system - so it's sort of non-snap. It as the Ubuntu move to snap that resulted in me deciding to swing back to Debian full time.

However I don't want to push the developer's tolerance of off topic discussion to far in this thread - hope the above helps.

#12 2020-09-27 03:09

HAL_2000

Very informative. 

Thank you so much.

I am still learning about SYNAPTIC, and then I read of Snapd, snap packages, OpenBox and so forth. 

It's like peeling an onion.

More on point, I tried loading Q4OS onto another machine, an HP G7 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM. 

Like the COMPAQ, the HP didn't like it and once again I had to fall back on LXLE.  I don't know what the issue is.  The main reasons I like Q4OS is it being lightweight and easily themed.

Perhaps I'll see you in the LXLE forum and I can learn more about implementing Xfce, and where it is and isn't appropriate.

#13 2020-09-27 04:12

Tolkem

I can learn more about implementing Xfce, and where it is and isn't appropriate.

You can install XFCE in many Linux flavors and the only reason you shouldn't is if you don't want to smile. I would advice against having too many DEs installed on the same system. You can download Debian with xfce from here https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … e-CD-1.iso and try installing it on those machines Q4OS "refuses" to. This version ships with a very basic xfce; default theme and tools for users to customize it to their heart's content, which I did for years till I started using  awesome-wm and now KDE, but I still see it as a great DE; very easy to use yet a powerful one.

Last edited by Tolkem (2020-09-27 04:14)

#14 2020-09-27 15:32

HAL_2000

Tolkem!

Good to see you again.  Having tried and unloaded many distros, I recall seeing a pulldown menu at the Linux login (which distro?), asking what kind of (DE?) the user wanted.  I was hopeful that LXLE would offer Xfce(4) as an option, but No Joy, only the default or OpenBox.

I will take in and learn that which you've written, but in the meantime, I will try loading a fresh copy of Q4OS and hope that it installs without issue on my next machine.  It really does 'theme' easily and wonder why it is not loading properly.

#15 2020-10-30 01:14

Scott_CA

A couple quick comments......
The HP G7 Series of laptops includes several variations of Intel and AMD processors, as well as graphics processors....
[  notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-g7-Series.52123.0.html  ]

Processor: AMD A-Series A6-3400M, AMD A-Series A6-4400M, AMD Athlon II P360, Intel Core i3 2330M, Intel Core i3 380M, Intel Core i5 2410M, Intel Core i5 3210M, Intel Core i5 480M
Graphics Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6470M, AMD Radeon HD 6540G2, AMD Radeon HD 7520G, AMD Radeon HD 7670M, ATI Radeon HD 4250, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 4000

In a perfect world none of this would matter--software would load and work--but that's not the real world.   Because of these hardware variables it will probably be difficult to find a twin system to isolate and solve the problem.   And, I was reading another thread
[  q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3238  ]   where the installation stopped and '32-bitter'  suggested it might be a symptom of the HDD dying.

I used the 'prntscrn' key to take a snapshot of the control panel and pasted the result into Kolourpaint.   No problem.   My system is a 2007 HP 7700, 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 6700, AMD/ATI Radeon 3450 GPU running Q4OS Trinity 3.12.1-n1.  (Data from '~$ inxi -Fzxd')  It has been suggested that 'inxi' and Synaptic Package Manager should be part of the distribution, and I agree.  To keep the installation size down, I would sacrifice LibreOffice, a large package that could be easily installed with Synaptic, if needed.   KWord and KSpread office software meet my needs, and load almost instantaneously.

The Q4 I have does not have GIMP installed, so I assume you are not using the Trinity DE.  I don't really understand why most, if not all, of the distros that offer more than one DE do not separate the forums for the major DEs they support.   Mint has Cinnamon, Xfce, and MATE, even more confusing than Q4 Trinity, or Plasma.

#16 2020-12-05 02:03

HAL_2000

Hello Scott,

Thanks for all that information.  I've been very busy in the Real World and thus away from the forums, so please understand my late response, and belated thanks.

I think my question has been answered and the thread resolved, however, I will still read back to this thread for future reference.

FYI #1 - I am still bouncing between Q4OS/ XPQ4 and LXLE for 32bit installs.  (Q4OS 18.04, 32bit is giving me 'kernel panic" install issues with one machine, an HP dc5000, Intel P4 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM).  Perhaps it's really a harddrive issue. 

I am getting better with CLI commands and the Synaptic installer.  Although when I get in serious trouble, I still resort to nuking the Install and starting over from scratch.  I still find Tarballs difficult to work with and avoid them whenever possible.

FYI #2 - I am now using 64bit installs and using Cinnamon and XP themes from the Gnome repository.

FYI #3 - my entire purpose here and other fora is to learn Linux so that I can revive older machines and give them away to kids for school.  The last LXLE 18.04 / Cinnamon install, themed for XP, looked beautiful and the 9 year old kid receiving the machine exclaimed "COOL!" as I showed him how he could easily choose different backgrounds.

So I do appreciate the help you guys offer as I learn Linux.

#17 2020-12-05 18:15

Rademes

Bit strange, that nobody have mentioned MX Linux here. It is also fast and responsive. MX 18.3 is a good choice for older machines, even if it is not being positioned as Lightweight distro.
About LXLE.
I have been using it for about a year on my two notebooks. It is good distro. Good but not perfect. Latest LXLE has many PPAs, many extra software, such as Home banking, News reader, Seamonkey, guayadeque so I was forced to spend many hours for cleaning and configuring it. Actually, LXLE reminded me my Xiaomi smartphone with all its bloatware and many options which should be disabled and reconfigured in order to Not see ads, and make smartphone work fast. Also, the developer said, that he most likely will not release new versions of LXLE, because Lubuntu switched to LxQT. Why they abandoned fast, solid, and bugfree LXDE, and switched to unstable and buggy LxQT? Anyway, I will not install LXLE to another PCs anymore. After 2023, LXLE will be dead! Sad, but true. And I will be forced to learn how to use another desktop environment because LXDE is dead? No, thank you!

Last edited by Rademes (2020-12-05 18:19)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#18 2020-12-05 19:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

This thread started to be off-topic definitely. This section is Q4OS support, please continue discussing the original question.

Board footer