You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-25 22:51

Wanderer112358

Help with Trinity OS not completely shutting down.

When Shutdown is selected, the shutdown script almost finishes and then hangs near the end, never finishes.

Stops at 59.300511   reboot: Power down

No error ever thrown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 2020-10-26 00:15

Wanderer112358

Re: Help with Trinity OS not completely shutting down.

After re-trying several times, the numbers associated to where it hangs seems to change, but it never finishes shutting down completely.  This occurs whether I am doing a Shutdown or a Reboot.

The PC is a Dell/Wyse Zx0D.  AMD G-T56N Processor

The OS works perfectly without any errors.

I hope that someone has an idea how to correct this.

#3 2020-10-26 00:59

Wanderer112358

Sorry, I should have added, I'm running Trinity 3.12 64bit.

6GB RAM and 16GB SATA storage

As I said, the OS has been running perfectly, no errors, but I don't know how to access the System Error Logs from the Command Line.

#4 2020-10-26 06:50

bin

I would start off by installing tdepowersave-trinity

This will pull in appropriate acpi stuff which may be behind this.

#5 2020-10-26 08:22

Wanderer112358

bin wrote:

I would start off by installing tdepowersave-trinity

This will pull in appropriate acpi stuff which may be behind this.

Thanks.  I thought that tdepowersave-trinity was only for laptops.

I was hoping to understand what the actual hang point is during shutdown.  I try not to just add a "fix" if possible when I don't really know what the problem is.

Since there doesn't appear to be an actual trapped error, logs won't help much here.  I need more of a trace program or at least a known bug report to go by.

Last edited by Wanderer112358 (2020-10-26 10:02)

#6 2020-10-26 11:47

bin

I used to have this issue some time back on a Dell laptop - would not shut down with any kernel after - I think - 4.2 or thereabouts. I recall that installing acpi support helped and that I used the powersave tools to make sure that all the powersave options were switched off. I am not familiar with the Dell/Wyse machine - though I spent many happy hours making RS232 connectors for Wyse terminals in Plant Hire Shops back in the late 90's.

Logging the shutdown process is tricky. What you can do is use Ctrl-Alt-f2 to access a console.
Login using your normal login details
Then run

sudo shutdown -h 0

- that's a zero at the end
You'll see the shutdown process and if it hangs then the last line should show what it is hanging on. Sadly I've not found a way to output that to a text file - yet.
However it may allow you to provide a clue.

#7 2020-10-26 19:02

Wanderer112358

bin wrote:

I used to have this issue some time back on a Dell laptop - would not shut down with any kernel after - I think - 4.2 or thereabouts. I recall that installing acpi support helped and that I used the powersave tools to make sure that all the powersave options were switched off. I am not familiar with the Dell/Wyse machine - though I spent many happy hours making RS232 connectors for Wyse terminals in Plant Hire Shops back in the late 90's.

Logging the shutdown process is tricky. What you can do is use Ctrl-Alt-f2 to access a console.
Login using your normal login details
Then run

sudo shutdown -h 0

- that's a zero at the end
You'll see the shutdown process and if it hangs then the last line should show what it is hanging on. Sadly I've not found a way to output that to a text file - yet.
However it may allow you to provide a clue.

Bin, the Dell/Wyse PC is a small Thin Client PC that normally would be used to connect to a large Client Server.  I am instead using it as a small Desktop PC.  It supports up to 8GB of RAM, but the internal SATA SSD is only 16GB.  Plus, the little box isn't very fast(1.65Ghz), but it works fine with Q4OS and Trinity and is quite usable.  Dell bought out Wyse a few years ago.

Take a look at this UK Thin Client mods website:

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/z/z90d7/

What is strange about this problem is that it appears that the shutdown has completed at the time that the hang occurs.  I might try reinstalling Q4OS with KDE Plasma on a second Wyse Thin Client that I have and see if the same hang occurs.  I had installed Q4OS KDE a while back and I don't remember this happening then.  I really would rather use TDE though.  I like it a lot.

NOTE: I opened the Console window as you suggested.  For some reason I couldn't run sudo shutdown -h 0 from the Console, but when I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del to exit, the system rebooted fine with no hang!

I hope that someone from the Q4OS Team sees this and can give me some idea how to fix it or to give me a work-around.  I really think that this is a bug.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Wanderer112358 (2020-10-26 19:23)

#8 2020-10-26 22:38

Wanderer112358

Update: I tried installing Q4OS 3.12 with KDE Plasma on a second Wyse Thin Client box with the exact same hardware.  It rebooted and shutdown fine.

I will be giving this little Wyse PC to an older person with no computer experience, so the Shutdown selection has to work without issues.

I would really hate to not be able to use TDE over something as trivial as this.

KDE Plasma boots and runs a little slower than TDE on this older PC, but still quite usable.

Last edited by Wanderer112358 (2020-10-26 22:44)

Board footer