You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-16 05:14

HAL_2000

Modifying individual desktop icons in TDE

Hello Experienced Q4OS Users,

I have loaded Q4OS on an eMachines laptop (18.04.3) and selected the Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE).  Those done, I was able to add themes and icons.

My next task is to be able to switch an individual icon.

The theme and icon set which I selected did a good job, but I would like to modify the looks of the app PCManFM (File Manager), which is currently looking like the Windows Explorer icon.

points to:  /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop

Ideally, I would like to find the old-fashioned Windows 2000 File Manager File Cabinet icon and substitute that.

e.g.  http://img00.deviantart.net/060a/i/2013 … 5q5bmd.png

Incidentally, using the Q4OS easy applications downloader, some applications install with their icons broken. I suppose once I learn how to modify the File Manager icon, I can fix all the others as well.

Many thanks in advance,

HAL

MDGx File Manager FMNT32 - the File Manager App from Win2000, revived for 32/64 bit systems
http://www.mdgx.com/fmnt32/

[The odd thing about the download site is that only a manila envelope icon is visible, but once loaded into a Windows 7 system, the user can right-click on the icon, properties, modify and select a variety of alternative icons]

Last edited by HAL_2000 (2020-10-16 05:32)

Attachments:
png Change_icons2.png, Size: 108.2 KiB, Downloads: 302

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#2 2020-10-16 06:09

bin

Re: Modifying individual desktop icons in TDE

IF you are using TDE then install XPQ4 https://xpq4.sourceforge.io/

Use the Full download. This will install enough Windows icons to provide what you need.

It sounds like you have added pcmanfm to your desktop. In which case just right click> Properties and click the icon button which will browse the icons folders - or allow you to select an image from anywhere.

#3 2020-10-16 07:23

HAL_2000

Hello bin,

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I did manage to collect a couple screen caps but I don't see where I can upload them in response. 

Essentially, they were of the right-click options menu when clicking on the PCManFM icon.  Submenus seem to point to file handling as opposed a repository of alternative icons.  What I wish to avoid, is to pointing the icon to a different app and destroying its utility as a file manager. (First, Do No Harm).

The other screen grab was from the XPQ4 icon, which gives the user a menu of theme selections.  I selected XP Luna, so, so far, so good.

A right-click on the PCManFM icon opens up a Properties menu, called KDesktop, with four tab selections:  General / Permissions / Application / Preview.

General and Application offer sub-menus that don't apparently point to other icons.

Being cautious.

I hope this helps you to help me.

HAL

[Dave] Open the pod bay doors, HAL....  [HAL] I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. [BSOD]

#4 2020-10-16 13:04

bin

Once in the Properties you need to click on the Folder / File Manager icon next to the name on the General Tab - it'll take you to the icon selection dialogue

You can the look through the available ones - you may find it will be necessary to browse to /opt/trinity/share/icons/.... to find the XPQ4 ones - if not they'll be in /usr/share/icons.

Attachments:
png icon change 1.png, Size: 81.78 KiB, Downloads: 310

#5 2020-10-16 13:13

Midas

#6 2020-10-16 21:42

HAL_2000

Thanks bin!

How did you get an image posted to the forum? 

After the first post, the icon for uploading an image for the post was not present (on my browser, Mozilla-based).

Your timing is good.  Someone has requested the laptop and I hope to have it tweaked by this weekend.

Best,

HAL

#7 2020-10-17 05:37

bin

HAL_2000 wrote:

Thanks bin!

How did you get an image posted to the forum? 

After the first post, the icon for uploading an image for the post was not present (on my browser, Mozilla-based).

Your timing is good.  Someone has requested the laptop and I hope to have it tweaked by this weekend.

Best,

HAL

No problem! Good luck with the tweaking. If it helps, when I have custom or odd icons for apps I keep them in a folder in in my user folders rather than leave them in the root/system partition. That way I've always got access to them when/if I change distro.

The Browse button below the Post Reply box should be there - obviously :-)

I can only suggest you try a different browser - I do recall having problems with Waterfox Classic not showing some elements in a browser.

I am using Firefox-ESR if that helps.

Attachments:
png browse button.png, Size: 55.46 KiB, Downloads: 313

Board footer