You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-30 23:43

Theresa

Unable to install Q4OS

I continued to have issues with q4os and decided to re-install the entire system. I used a partition tool to wipe the hard disk clean of q4os. Booted up the live version and got as far as partitioning. When I got to this point I had about 200GB of un-allocated space. Selected that space and clicked on the 'Forward' tab of 'Partitioning' window that I have attached here. Got the little "Installation tool" window as shown here asking for a root partition. This attachment actually shows my next step. Next I formatted the drive and made a primary partition which you can see as /dev/sda4  type-ext4. Selected that and clicked 'Forward' and got the same message on 'Installation tool' window. Next I re-partitioned the drive and made an Extended Partition to see whether it will work. but the result was the same.

What am I doing wrong? I am good at partitioning and don't make mistakes.

Theresa

Attachments:
png snapshot2.png, Size: 58.46 KiB, Downloads: 765

#2 2016-01-31 08:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Unable to install Q4OS

@Theresa
Click with the right mouse button on desired partition and set it as root '/' mount point, as crosscourt suggested. You should create and select swap space too.

#3 2016-01-31 18:46

bobby
Website

Hi Theresa,

Just my two cents and for others who may have the same question in the future.

Two partitions are needed to install Q4OS as recommended you need a minimum of 38 GB unallocated space (30GB = Q4OS & 8GB = swapfile)

Note: Final Changes are not made until you click Apply Button on top menu in Gparted. However, if you select Delete, partitions are immediately DELETED !

Q4OS Partition:

• Select Unallocated Space

• "New" Top Menu Button

• New Size: 30000

• Create as: Primary Partition

• File System: Ext4

• Label: (all lowercase letters or numbers, no spaces)

--> Click add --> Click Apply Top Menu

• Set the location where Q4OS will be installed on new partition

--> Right Click new Q4OS partition
      --> Click "Mount" -
      --> Select root "/".

If you are installing Q4OS to a USB Drive or Thumb Drive you must add a Boot Flag to Q4OS partition:

• Set Boot Flag on Q4OS Partition:

--> Right Click Q4OS Partition
       --> Manage Flags
       --> Select Box "Boot"

Linux Swapfile Partition:

• Select Unallocated Space

• "New" Top Menu Button

• New Size: 30000

• Create as: Primary Partition

• File System: linux-swap

• Label: (all lowercase letters or numbers, no spaces)

--> Click add --> Click Apply Top Menu

(No special flags or location designation for linux-swap partition)

Maximum Number of Primary Partitons, Logical Partitions and Extended Partitions:

Q4OS is limited to a total of 4 Primary partitions (3 Primary Partitions and 1 linux-swap or 3 primary partitions + 1 Extended + 1 linux-swap partitions)

All partitions that reside in an extended partitions are "Logical Partitions"

You can have 3 Primary Partitions + 1 Extended Partition and in the extended partition you can have 1 Logical linux-swap and up to 10 Logical Partitions

However, the recommend total partitions that should be created on any system is 15.

Grub2 that is the bootloader used by Q4OS starts partition counting with 1 (The original legacy Grub started partition counting with 0)

I apologize that I have not produced a tutorial or video on this subject as I promised to do as i have been under the weather most of January but, its on my to do list.

Hope this is helpful.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-01-31 20:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bobby wrote:

Note: Final Changes are not made until you click Apply Button on top menu in Gparted. However, if you select Delete, partitions are immediately DELETED !

If GParted deletes partition immediately, like you described, it is surely very serious bug. Please specify exact steps to reproduce.

#5 2016-01-31 20:45

JimW

I think gparted "shows" the partition as being deleted, but does not actually do it until you execute. That may be so that you can see the "deleted" partiton being combined with unallocated space and you can work from that to create new partitions. But, like I said, it does not do anything until executed.

#6 2016-01-31 21:35

Rademes

Yes, GParted only shows that partitions are being deleted but does NOT deletes them immediately.

Made tasks for partition deletion and exited:
s_1454271720_9360156_db71339f3c.png

After launching GParted again, all partitions are on their places:
s_1454271812_5442875_0a07b2ff8e.png

Of course, they were mounted and accessed without problems.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-01-31 21:37)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#7 2016-02-01 02:12

bobby
Website

I stand corrected on auto delete Partition by Gparted. However, If a user drags the job pending view pane closed - the pending jobs do not show.

It does not list the partition is going to be deleted in the top view pane as it looks like its already unallocated space.

If the user clicks Apply - there is a warning. Then the user can cancel and look in the Pending job viewpane and there is no way for the user o tell what partition is being deleted at this point.

We are talking about WinOS users who could make a serious mistake with this and for that I say,  it has to be "Fool Proof" as much as possible".

Am I wrong ?

Not trying to prove anything here.  Start a Delete Job and Drag the bottom viewpane in Gparted closed and see what I am referring too.

I can't even tell what partition is being deleted.

Educating users about this would be a good thing for them to know about.

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-01 02:13)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#8 2016-02-01 03:48

JimW

LOL
Hey, Bobby - even some of us linux users tend to get lost sometimes!

I agree with your assessment, it should show that it is a "pending" operation in the graphic. But that would be something for the Gparted team to work on.

#9 2016-02-01 06:53

bobby
Website

JimW,   We live in a very complicated world. I agree that this is really  a Gparted team thing.

And for the record, I am lost about 90% of the time smile

No Longer Using Q4OS

#10 2016-02-01 22:02

Theresa

In post #8 by Rademes, he has made a /Home partition. I don't know what this is for, or whether I need to make one.

Hi bobby. In your post #4 when you say "Q4OS is limited to a total of 4 Primary partitions (3 Primary Partitions and 1 linux-swap or 3 primary partitions + 1 Extended + 1 linux-swap partitions), do you mean these numbers are in addition to any Primary Partitions taking up Windows?

Theresa

Last edited by Theresa (2016-02-01 22:20)

#11 2016-02-02 01:37

bobby
Website

Hi Theresa,  Not Additional to Windows Primary Partitions. The total is 4 primary max.

crosscourt is correct. You don't need a partition that is mounted at /home. You only need 2 partitions:

• / (root) partition (Where Q4OS will be installed) ; and

• swapfile partition just like you did in your image.

as crosscourt stated above, just right click the partition you are going to use to install Q4OS and select

/ 

If a person should mount a partition as /home their Documents folder and sub-folders are automatic saved to the /home partition. (I don't recommend this, as stated above as there is really no benefit for the average Q4OS user.

I hope this helps clarify what I was saying but, if not. Let us know.  I am not an expert when it comes to Linux. I still consider myself a noobie. smile

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#12 2016-02-03 01:07

Theresa

q4os installed and working. Before closing the lid of the laptop I want to make sure of the TDE Power save settings. Scheme Settings default shows 'Performance'. In General Settings - Lid close button default selection shows 'Suspend to RAM'. Is this the setting for 'sleep' when lid is closed? I have only looked at this. Everything is left at default.

#13 2016-02-03 02:31

Theresa

Sad result. Same thing happened again. When the lid closed the light that shows sleep mode was on. I opened the lid and tapped on a key. There is a very small noise that always comes from the computer when it comes out of sleep. This noise came. What happened after that was completely different to waking from sleep. It was like the computer starting from shutdown state. The fan started at full speed (fan runs at full speed only when the computer starts after being shut down. Never waking from sleep). The screen showed what it normally shows at the very beginning of start. The dark screen with a faint background light with a small white bar flashing at the top left. A few seconds of this and the screen went fully dark. Nothing happened after this except the fan kept going at full speed. After about 3 minutes I kept the power button pressed and the fan stopped. When I pressed the power button again fan started full speed like before and kept running with nothing on the screen. I did this many times and the same thing repeated. This is exactly what happened earlier before I re-installed q4os. What can I do next?

Last edited by Theresa (2016-02-03 02:33)

#14 2016-02-03 02:56

bobby
Website

Hi Theresa,

One possibility is an ACPI compatibility issue relating to Power Management control at the BIOS level (system board) on your computer. (Could be something else but, its worth verifying).

Getting out of the endless forced power button shutdown cycle:

First, you if it takes more than 30 seconds of holding down the power button; it an't shutting down.  Here is what I do  to force my laptop to shut down in this kind of situation:

--> Black Screen --> Hold Power Button for 15 seconds (if does not shutdown) --> release power button for 2 seconds --> then press Power Button 2 seconds -  release 2 second -- press and  hold down for 15 - 30 seconds and it usually does shut my laptop down.

Once you can boot the computer normially, go in to the Computer BIOS (using F2, F1, F10 or DEL key) and look for advanced or power management settings.. See what it is set for Power Managment ACPI. What ever it is, change to the other setting and retest the power lid test.

Hope it fixes it. Others surely know more than I.

Let us know.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#15 2016-02-03 05:07

Theresa

crosscourt wrote:

The issue is, I believe Theresa said that it worked fine in Windows  in another post so that points to something specific with Q4OS thats lacking.

I have to say Ive had some distros where power manager works fine and others where they didnt, particularly with older hardware.

Heres the original thread which we should really be posting in about this issue, so others can more easily follow the discussion.

www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293

How can we start this in the original thread as you suggest. Can the q4os team or an editor move the last 4 posts here to that thread?

Theresa

#16 2016-02-03 06:38

bobby
Website

We can move them ourselves. Copy / paste Comments at other thread and place link to new thread. Last 4 posts, that's you cc - tag - your it. You need to start the process smile

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-03 06:38)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#17 2016-02-03 14:33

Theresa

Hi bobby

To make sure, From here I copy and paste the last four posts to the other thread. Then place a link to other thread here. Please confirm. This part I don't get "Last 4 posts, that's you cc - tag - your it"

Theresa

#18 2016-02-03 17:38

Theresa

Could you tell me the number of the post above which you want me to re-post.

Theresa

#19 2016-02-03 22:16

bobby
Website

What about this:  powertop - its in the jessie repository ?

PowerTOP is a Linux tool to diagnose issues with power consumption and power management. In addition to being a diagnostic tool, PowerTOP also has an interactive mode you can use to experiment with various power management settings, for cases where the Linux distribution has not enabled those settings.

PowerTOP reports which components in the system are most likely to blame for higher-than-needed power consumption, ranging from software applications to active components in the system. Detailed screens are available for CPU C and P states, device activity, and software activity.

Seems like the ticket !

sudo apt-get powertop

No Longer Using Q4OS

#20 2016-02-03 23:35

bobby
Website

cc,  sorry. I got now.

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer