You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-17 00:47

Tolkem

have to reinstall grub-efi everytime initdr gets updated

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! smile

First of all, sorry if the title doesn't fit what I'm about to describe but couldn't come to any other better way/words to describe it. I don't usually reboot/turn off my PC but today I did and when rebooting I was greeted by the grub rescue console, so the system won't boot and this is the third time it happens and the circunstances were the same; rebooted the system after an update/upgrade and found the rescue grub console on boot. I've fixed that by booting to a Live USB and reinstalling grub-efi, reboot and everything works again but I fear the next time the same conditions apply will have to repeat the same process, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how to permanently fix that so it won't happen the next time I update/upgrade it and initdr gets updated/overwritten. I suspect the whole reason for this to happen is than when backing up the system with Lucky backup something went wrong and filesystem is somehow defective now since I'm not entirely sure but I do believe the fisrt time it happened was after I made the backup. Any ideas/advice/ are really appreciated. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Oh, in case you wonder yes, I created a full backup of the system while it was running and according to the developer it is supposed to work regardless of the few error messages one will get, which I did, he said

you're gonna experience some errors because you are transfering a
live (...meaning you are using it) system but that is ok

https://sourceforge.net/p/luckybackup/d … /8c8e3902/  althought that discussion is pretty old - 2010 - and not sure whether or not that applies in 2020.

Board footer