You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-28 06:23

rajatkumarzala

Recommend Rolling Distro

Hello All,

I am using Trinity version since last one year. I am amazed by its performance on my old All IN One. Ram usage at start up stands at barely 350MB.
I wanted cutting edge update and packages to be available on Q4OS. It is not possible as its based on debian and not on rolling release.
Having Old package of audacious, old konqueror, thunderbird, telegram-desktop etc. I am a moderate user with basic needs. But I always wanted to try new updates in my pc.

So I am thinking to install Artix Linux LXQT version side by the Q4OS.

Anyone having good experience in other distros which gives low RAM footprint as Q4OS and runs smoothly, Please share your experience with other distros with suggestion. Keep suggestions that provides immediate update to the newer packages.

Thanks

#2 2020-07-28 07:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Recommend Rolling Distro

You could try Q4OS Gemini testing edition https://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html , it's based on Debian Bullseye testing. You will need to install Trinity desktop using the Desktop profiler tool and optionally uninstall Plasma, if you would want to drop it:
$ sudo apt autoremove q4os-desktop-plasma

#3 2020-08-04 14:55

rajatkumarzala

Thanks You for response. I haven't abandoned Q4OS. It is a solid one for my need and will always will be.
I expect you to understand the need of mine to have a cutting edge version of apps that I do use.
I request you to provide some light on what to expect from new GEMINI. What will be there in Gemini to be named few as Kernel, TDE version etc.. It would be really helpful.

I have one request if you guys can pull-out : Can you people make a distro where ARCH + Latest TDE with current level of code and system optimisation ? If this happens, many would be very happy about this like me.

I am damn waiting for Q4OS based on Arch rather than based on Ubuntu. Please don't get me wrong with my demand. I am loyal Q4OS user.

Thanks

#4 2020-08-05 03:52

tlmiller76

You could attempt to install the Trinity desktop into Arch yourself.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trinity

Once upon a time they had AUR packages for it, but the breakneck speed of Arch's development made it nearly impossible to keep Trinity from breaking consistently.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2020-08-05 03:52)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#5 2020-08-09 04:37

DavidB
Website

I have only tried  two other distros that are light, fast, and use TDE by default.... PCLinuxOS Trinity and ExeGNU/Linux (based on Devuan).  I know that PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distro, but not sure about Devuan.  However, I do find that Exe performs a little better for me than PCLinuxOS, and it uses the latest and greatest version of Trinity (14.0.8 in latest ISO).

Neither of these distros were as problem-free for me as Q4OS, though.  Both of them required some tweaking/command line work to get working the way I wanted. Q4OS is much more polished, in my opinion.

http://exegnulinux.net/
http://trinity.mypclinuxos.com/index.php

Last edited by DavidB (2020-08-09 04:51)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#6 2020-08-09 06:00

bin

@DavidB
Re exegnu agree its OK, I don't know about you but I found hardware support a bit hit and miss - especially when it comes to uvc video for webcam.

One other way you can do this is to install something like SparkyLinux cli Testing/Bullseye and then add TDE. However I did find things a bit rocky a few weeks ago with a couple of updates busting stuff. I think the teams suggestion of Gemini may be safer(ish) smile

#7 2020-11-15 18:42

crosscourt
Website

PCLinux OS Trinity has improved but yes its not as problem free as Q4OS. It uses 14.0.9 TDE presently.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

Board footer