You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-01 22:53

Melita

Synaptic package manager

Is Synaptic package manager the only dedicated Package Manager for Q4OS? Is there any other package manager that can be used in it's place with Q4OS?

Thank you

#2 2016-02-02 20:38

Melita

Re: Synaptic package manager

Thank you for your post.

Is there a Software Centre that can be used with Q4OS, similar to the Ubuntu Software Centre (USC). I have seen this being used by another Linux user where software can be installed directly from the USC, without using a package manager. It is accessed directly from the user's OS. I found the USC much to my liking.

The menu bar on top of the USC window has much information with drop down menus. From what I saw, it seemed to provide access to all the thousands of software that are in the Ubuntu Repositories. When an item of software is selected it gives a wealth of information about it. Apart from a good description, there are also reviews with comments by users, which are also graded by the number of stars awarded. These reviews can bee seen as 'Most helpful' or 'Newest' first. We can also see suggested Recommendations and Optional add-ons. I also find it very attractive in appearance.

I am sure most of you must be aware of the USC. My description here is to give you an idea of what I like to have with my Q4OS. If there is a Debian Software Centre similar to USC (or Ubuntu if it is compatible) that I can access from Q4OS, please tell me how I can get it.

Regards

Last edited by Melita (2016-02-02 20:40)

#3 2016-02-02 21:22

bobby
Website

Hi Melita,  I enjoyed using Ubuntu's Software Center but, it all became too overwhelming for me because of the very fact, "1,000s of options". 

I am unaware of any application that is similar to USC for Debian.

I am in the process of building custom bash scripts to fully automate "ALL" terminal commands. Like update software package databse "apt-get update" and install applications like "apt-get gimp".   I am trying to provide a plank from the WinOS boat to the Q4OS ship so new users can spend their time learning Q4OS and not Linux Commands in the Terminal.

I am starting with programs I use and recommendations from others. So far I have, GIMP, Ksnapshop, apache webserver, and K3b Burner.

If you have some favorite programs that would be good for Q4OS / Linux noobie's, I am needing a list of more programs to make click & install scripts.

Thanks,

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-02-02 22:23

bobby
Website

I agree with you cc  - 100%.

From a business point of view I am sure that using a proprietary software installer for official packages is the best practice for both continuity and less support issues.

Overtime time though I will have 1,000s of custom scripts built that are compatible with Q4OS and any Debian based Distro that uses Debian Strict repository schema.

We all need to think about how to get the masses to walk the plank from the WinOS boat to the Q4OS Ship smile

It will never happen if people have to learn Linux Commands (IMO) like they did back in MS-DOS (cir) 1985 yikes

No Longer Using Q4OS

#5 2016-02-03 00:11

bobby
Website

''.....I think most crossover users will in time get use to the landscape,...."

As I see it (IMO),  WinOS will NOT move to Linux of any kind until its made like WinOS - VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, Take the trash out and wash your the car for you too simple.

The masses do not want to learn !  they want to "PLAY" !  They don't want to get educated !  they want to watch Youtube.  And they want it without having to think either.

Until Linux is fool proof child simple, we are at square one with the masses. However, if businesses and educated folks are the target it will be successful - in about 10 years of development.

My problem is, I never left the sand pit at the kindergarden playground. Life is simple if you want it to be.  I make things simple for me and pass it on to others. What they want to do with it is up to them.

I am starting testing with family on how to install Q4OS to a hard drive following my tutorial (DRAFT) and install programs (MY Kdialog Scripts).  If its not simple enough, I'll redo it and try again.  Soon or later will be at square 2, then 3, 4, ------1K --- 10K -- 1M.

One Mill Gives you King of the Hill.

I know this to be true, I played it in the sand pit on the playground 50 years ago.

GOD - I Love this stuff smile

No Longer Using Q4OS

#6 2016-02-03 00:57

bobby
Website

Yea,  Windows 10 is now so easy Bill Gates is having to give it away for Free and shutting down support and availability for both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows 9 was in the toilet a very long time ago big_smile 

With that said,  NOW !  is the time to get people to jump the WinOS ship and there may never be another time in the future.

How many years did it take you to become comfortable with everyday Linux ?

The average user will give you just a few days and no more.

Okay, so back 5 years ago it took a few weeks to learn how to install Linux.  Then Ubuntu came along and reduced that time to a few hours.  I can do it with Q4OS in less than an hour.

What really bothers me the most is very little has been done concerning software installing when you consider  all the advancements made toward the various Distro and Desktop Options. Proprietary options are not advancements.

Reality, "It is what it is - So There".  I know its not that simple and that's exactly my point.

We are talking about very simple thinking people.  People with Masters Degrees who can't open a command prompt  in Windows. Its not because they are dumb, its because they are "Status-Quo" junkies who have been brained washed that Linux is "Evil". Linux is the "other OS".  What did Microsoft call Linux back in the day, "A Software Cancer" and guess what, He's at it again. !

Microsoft is working on a Linux Version as we speak. See The article entitled: "Microsoft has built a Linux OS and it makes perfect sense"

Only problem is, the Bill Gates Linux is not even part of his WinOs Boat - its a rubber dingy smile

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-03 01:03)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#7 2016-02-03 08:20

bin

Sadly -  and I speak as one who has been using Linux in home and business since 1998 - the future is Android shaped, not Penguin.

If you look at Windows 10 and project forward a bit you'll see a platform that will probably stay free - or on a small annual subscription - with a paid for app store. You'll get a basic OS that will browse the web and give you an outlook.com email app and that's it. All other software will be paid for apps. You want Media Player - £5 thank you! You want anything else - pay up buddy!!!!!

The sheeple (most of whom are already android mobile junkies - and yes, people ARE addicted to their mobiles!!) will have no option - developers will have no choice - you want to sell software - it has to go through the MS app store. Microsoft will continue to lean on manufacturers to ensure that the only operating system that can run on consumer grade kit will be Windows 10 - full stop. Server land may stay vermin free, hopefully.......Don't believe me? The 'Secure Boot' agreements originally wanted just that. MS have gone along with it till last year, but the writing is on the wall - or should that be Window.

#8 2016-02-03 08:49

bobby
Website

@bin,

Excellent post and when I got to  "... or should that be Window." I  just cracked up laughing.

I think its a little more complicated than people being pushed in to a total Android environment or you don't get to play anymore as there are too many players in this game. Unless there is a major world economic default people around the world from 3rd countries to the western states will continue to use older computers for at least the next 10 years. 

Even with MicroCrap giving away their half of a system for Free is (IMO) going to backfire and result in a loss of market share.  You are exactly right that they are trying to shift from a single purchase product to a renewal subscription and if you want add-on's ? that will cost you even more but, this is a Global Corporate attack by Google, Youtube (Google), Facebook and Microsoft to mention just a few.  Google has started a monthly subscription service without ads; Facebook has increased ads served to their members 3 fold in the last year and cable TV is worse now with Ads than old analog TV; ever.

I can't change what Corporations do but, I can automate user functions so it is very easy to try and enjoy Q4OS without any frustration and hope that my efforts help to get more people using Q4OS.

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer