You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-24 09:02

arcadiabay

Choosing packages at installation or new option to remove them after

Hello,
I'm really happy with the Q4OS Linux distribution and use it on several laptops.
But now I was thinking about using it on a tiny x86 PC as a simple VPN server with Pi-Hole.
The installer version seems to be adequate for this need. Even if there are some packages that i won't need.
Those concerning Audio, wifi, printing support, for e.g.
1) I would appreciate if a next Q4OS installer version could integrate a menu to select/deselect some packages before installation like the ones i mentioned above (and maybe more with desktop apps...).
2) Or,  more generally, on the Q4OS live version, maybe a new option like the "Install applications" button on the Welcome Screen that could be "Remove features".
I guess i could have the same final result with Synaptic if i remove manually the unused packages but it's not very convenient.

Thanks for the great work already accomplished though.

Last edited by arcadiabay (2020-04-24 09:02)

#2 2020-04-24 09:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Choosing packages at installation or new option to remove them after

Yes, it will be possible in the next major Q4OS version Gemini. You will be allowed to create your own personal "profile", a set of predefined packages and configuration, and apply it using desktop profiler on each new installation, or anytime later, if you find it needed.

#3 2020-04-24 09:49

arcadiabay

Thanks for your response, and that's very good news !!! The Q4OS team rocks !

#4 2020-04-24 11:13

Dai_trying

And don't forget you can choose the bottom option from the Desktop Profiler (basic) which will give you a minimal installation and you can add whatever you need either via synaptic, command line or using a personal profile as suggested by the devs.

Note: This does not have quite the same effect if you are not using the Trinity desktop as other DE's usually pull in a lot of other packages which you might or might not want.

#5 2023-04-18 11:10

jmdh01

I generally agree with the suggestions above. I would like to add a plea that the installation suite should also contain (as an option ?) vim and synaptic!
Secondly, the installation dialogue should give one the option of specifying User Numbers and Group numbers: I started to use Unix 45 years ago and have had experience of System7, SunOS as well as Linux. I was given a user number 2100 in Group 221 by the university; all my files (about 1TB's worth) have these numbers.
When I install, I am forced to install as a dummy user for the installation process. Then, using Vi(m), I create a real user with all the necessary privileges. It would be really helpful to be able to override the default numbers.

Board footer