You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-23 02:30

tekkaman

Windows freezing when playing videos

Hi there,

After trying Q4os on VirtualBox I decided to install it on the real hardware on a small partition. Everything runs smoothly so far except when playing videos with compositing enabled the whole screen freezes but the video is still playing as I can still hear it. But I have to reset the PC to get out. I can trigger it this way: I open firefox. I play a youtube or any online video. Then lets say I open the start menu or open any window on top of Firefox while the video is playing that freezes the whole screen. It doesn't happen if I have compositing disabled but obviously it's needed for tearfree playback. the specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 910e 2.6Ghz X4
Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
Video: ATI HD4670 PCIE 512MB
Partition: 100GB

#2 2020-02-23 04:56

AngelKde

Re: Windows freezing when playing videos

hello try to change these parameters, you can find them in the control panel, desktop, windows compartment, and activate the first two in the spoat section, I will put a photo so you can understand the only thing and that in Italian. I hope you can serve it

Last edited by AngelKde (2020-02-23 04:57)

Attachments:
png schermata1.png, Size: 41.61 KiB, Downloads: 431

#3 2020-02-23 06:34

tekkaman

Those two are checked by default. I think you didn't understand my problem. My problem is that the computer looks like it crashed. I can't close any window. But I still hear the video playing.

#4 2020-02-24 22:44

tekkaman

Well does anyone have a suggestion ? Or is it a bug in TDE ?

#5 2020-02-25 06:43

bin

If the output of inxi -G shows "drivers radeon" then it may be worth creating a custom xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

You can do that in Kwrite or nano or any text editor of your choice. You need to be using sudo to copy it to the correct location.

First of all try with just the following

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Radeon"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

If no better then expand to this

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Radeon"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "TearFree" "on"
    Option "DRI" "3"
    Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
EndSection

You will need to log out between each attempt.

Sorry but I have no experience with ATI cards, but have had tearing issues with both nvidia and intel fixed by using similar process. Never had the issue you describe.

If you search for xorg ATI tearing you'll find a lot of info about it. It may mean that you can run with composting disabled if that is what is needed but without the tearing.

#6 2020-02-29 20:55

tekkaman

Thanks for your reply. The first command you listed gave me vsync but now I have another weird problem. Now if I play a video in VLC that's h264 it crashes after a minute of playback. It's weird because the video card seems to be working fine for other tasks. For example I have the Linux version of the game Assault Android Cactus and it plays fine. But a simple 720p video file can make VLC crash. I have tried smplayer and it also crashes.

Board footer