You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-03 01:41

kendew

Keep getting installation error

Hi,
I have tried to install Q4OS 3.10 Centaurus on a couple of Lenovo x120e computers.  On the most recent attempt, I was installing over an earlier Q4OS that was running Stretch.  Even so, whenever I attempt, I get the error

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader".
Command 'grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Q4OS --force' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform. grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot000A. grub-install: warning: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to fd 7 failed: No space left on device. grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No space left on device. grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No space left on device.

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 444, in run
    prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 411, in prepare_bootloader
    install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 285, in install_grub
    "--force"])

File "<string>", line 8, in <module>

My guess is this error is not Q4OS specific but a Calamares error.  Still, it is a nuisance.  Does anyone know how to get around this?
Thanks
Kendew

#2 2020-02-03 19:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Keep getting installation error

No space left in the EFI partition. How did you command Calamares to partition the disk drive at the partitioning step ?

#3 2020-02-03 21:59

kendew

Thanks for the reply.
I proceeded through the graphical Calamares interface.  As Q4OS was already installed, I didn't really do anything with partitions.  Since I wasn't interested in keeping the previous Q4OS installation, I selected to erase disc and install only Centaurus 3.10.  Calamares proposed the new partition setup viewed alongside with the old.  And I selected to proceed.  There was no error at this point.  The installation seemed to be going well until after twenty minutes or so the error message (shown above) appeared. 
I also tried this on a different Lenovo x120e laptop on which CentOS was installed.  This time I set flags and mount points, but still the same error.  It's a mystery to me.

#4 2020-02-03 22:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The problem is probably in the NVRAM. Deleting some dump files or useless boot entries with efibootmgr should allow to add a new entry for GRUB. Please see the first reply from https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … ion-failed

Board footer