You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 18:25

Tomsonas
Website

Migrating Wubi installation into a regular dual boot

I've been using Q4OS for a few weeks and I got into it. I'd like to migrate my installation and have an actual dual boot, having Q4OS independent from Windows. Is there any way of doing it? I tried using Ubuntu migration script then changing a bit (specifying where the root.disk is located) but it doesn't seem to work and it says that my system is incompatible with it.

#2 2020-01-26 19:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Migrating Wubi installation into a regular dual boot

No dedicated procedure is available. Anyway, you can mount the filesystem inside the loopfile and copy whatever data you want from. Just a couple of commands in terminal:
$ sudo losetup --show -f -P root.disk
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0 /mount/point/path/

Don't forget to close the loop as finished:
$ sudo umount /mount/point/path/
$ sudo losetup -d /dev/loop0

#3 2020-01-26 19:55

Tomsonas
Website

q4osteam wrote:

No dedicated procedure is available. Anyway, you can mount the filesystem inside the loopfile and copy whatever data you want from. Just a couple of commands in terminal:
$ sudo losetup --show -f -P root.disk
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0 /mount/point/path/

Don't forget to close the loop as finished:
$ sudo umount /mount/point/path/
$ sudo losetup -d /dev/loop0

Would this copy my entire system and I will have my boot entry as well or just files?

#4 2020-01-26 20:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No, the boot entry will not work for a regular installation. We would recommend you to perform a fresh Q4OS installation and configuration, and copy a personal data you need. Unfortunately, no migration script or a guide is available for Q4OS.

#5 2020-01-26 20:26

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

In addition, software "bootcd" is available in Q4OS/Debian repositories, see https://packages.debian.org/buster/bootcd, as mentioned on this forum recently https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 075#p17075 . It should be able to build a live bootable media image of a running Debian System, with a possibility to make a regular installation elsewhere. We haven't tested this one, however it might be worth a try.

Board footer