You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-12 09:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Bourbon menu customization

This is a fork of a thread from here https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 639#p16639

Jaerrib wrote:

As I was revisiting my attempts at a Debonaire Dark theme, I was reminded of the color issues with the Bourbon menu. Is there any chance of making the colors configurable? Also, where does the Bourbon menu and its config files live in the file system? I was kind of curious about poking around for educational purposes. smile

Yes, we will check a possible ways to make Bourbon menu colors configurable and post an additional answer as soon as possible. Most probably, we will make colors configuration available in the "$HOME/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc" config file, see below.

The Bourbon, as well as Kickoff, menu is provided by the "kicker-trinity" package, binary files listed:

/opt/trinity/lib/trinity/kicker.so
/opt/trinity/lib/libtdeinit_kicker.so
/opt/trinity/lib/libkickermain.so

Its configuration is stored in the ".trinity/share/config/kickerrc" config file, look at all the entries containing "Bourbon".
Any possible Bourbon specific entries, with example values listed:

BourbonShowExecutables=true
BourbonLeftToRight=true
BourbonBoldFolders=true
BourbonAppsString=Start Menu
BourbonShowSysViewFolders=false
BourbonSysViewCustomItems=krusader.desktop,htop.desktop,konsole.desktop
BourbonShowSysViewApps=false
BourbonMenu=true
BourbonMenuHeightDefault=507
BourbonMenuWidthDefault=414

#2 2019-11-18 12:27

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Bourbon menu customization

We have compiled a testing build of the tdebase packages https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/work/ . After downloading, extract and install all packages:
$ sudo apt install ./path_to_deb_files/*.deb
Reboot

The new code takes care about setting a proper text colors in the Start menu. In addition, you can define a custom SystemView panel color as decimal RGB values:
File: $HOME/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc
Group: General
Key: BourbonSysViewBackgroundColor
for example:
BourbonSysViewBackgroundColor=255,128,10

Please let us know about any particular modifications you would need or suggest. Keep in mind, the packages are experimental and intended for testing at the moment.

#3 2019-11-19 01:56

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

We have compiled a testing build of the tdebase packages https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … ing.tar.gz . After downloading, extract and install all packages:
$ sudo apt install ./path_to_deb_files/*.deb
Reboot

The new code takes care about setting a proper text colors in the Start menu. In addition, you can define a custom SystemView panel color as decimal RGB values:
File: $HOME/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc
Group: General
Key: BourbonSysViewBackgroundColor
for example:
BourbonSysViewBackgroundColor=255,128,10

Please let us know about any particular modifications you would need or suggest. Keep in mind, the packages are experimental and intended for testing at the moment.

Thanks for your work on this. I'm looking forward to testing things out. If I were to install these packages on my main system, is there an easy way to revert back? Would you recommend installing on a spare computer or in a virtual machine for testing?

#4 2019-11-19 08:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

It's quite safe to install these packages on your main system. You will be able to revert back using the procedure below:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r <testing_tdebase_packages>
.. ignore warnings ...
$ sudo apt install -f

#5 2019-11-19 09:23

Dai_trying

Just a tip for other users, if you want to install a .deb file easily you can use the following command

sudo apt install ./<testing_tdebase_packages>

This will install with all dependencies satisfied and so not require apt to fix it afterwards, just remember to put the ./ before the filename.

#6 2019-11-21 01:31

Jaerrib
Website

Testing the Bourbon menu customizations worked out rather well with the Debonaire Dark theme I've been tinkering with. Editing the kickerrc file got this nice gray on the right side, but the description text blended in with that particular color. (My fault, not any issue with the test files.)
bourbon-recolor2.pngbourbon-recolor.png

Related but somewhat offtopic is the background for the dark theme doesn't carry over for some applications. Because of this issue, the text doesn't show up well on the background. The text color can be manually changed in Konqueror, but I didn't see that option for Dolphin.
file-managers.png
Kmail also had some visual issues, but I may just have to fiddle with the theme to find something that works well overall. It's a WIP afterall. (Sorry if I hijacked the thread.)

Board footer