You are not logged in.

#101 2019-06-18 03:22

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

The Github repo for waterleaf-icon-theme is active! The initial theme commit is a clone of q4os-paper-icons_2.5.1-a1 (which is the most current version as of today.) I may still use the q4os/gui-art repo for a bit but will ultimately transition development to the new location. I welcome whatever contributions you want to make as well! I know what I have planned will be a big undertaking. Thank you for supporting my additions to the Debonaire/Paper-Q4OS theme and encouraging me to take on this project.

Offline

#102 2019-06-18 08:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

That's a great deal, you have put the project excellent, absolutely. Perfectly described current issues and project goals. Just a great credit for you smile

A basic packaging for Debian/Ubuntu based systems could be done quite easily using instructions below:
$ mkdir -p /tmp/some-work-dir/DEBIAN/
$ mkdir -p /tmp/some-work-dir/usr/share/icons/
$ cp -r Waterleaf /tmp/some-work-dir/usr/share/icons/

- create the "/tmp/some-work-dir/DEBIAN/control" file:

Package: waterleaf-icon-theme
Priority: extra
Section: none
Maintainer: maintainer@email.org
Architecture: all
Version: 1.0
Depends: libc6
Provides: waterleaf-icon-theme
Conflicts: none
Replaces: none
Description: waterleaf-icon-theme

$ cd /tmp/
$ dpkg-deb -b /tmp/some-work-dir/ waterleaf-icon-theme_1.0_all.deb
The last command compiles the .deb package.

A few additional, quite general, ideas for consideration:
- We could separate Trinity icons somehow, to be able to make a standard icons package for Plasma and other DEs, and an extra package for Trinity.
- We could tag a core, mostly XDG compliant, and extra icons somehow. Subsequently, a cleaning of more "exotic" icons could be done, or they could be moved to a separate "extra" package too.

The "gui-art" repository should be depreciated now to prevent work duplication. Would you agree so ? If you would agree, we can remove the gui-art project completely.

Offline

#103 2019-06-19 01:30

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

q4osteam wrote:

A few additional, quite general, ideas for consideration:
- We could separate Trinity icons somehow, to be able to make a standard icons package for Plasma and other DEs, and an extra package for Trinity.
- We could tag a core, mostly XDG compliant, and extra icons somehow. Subsequently, a cleaning of more "exotic" icons could be done, or they could be moved to a separate "extra" package too.

The "gui-art" repository should be depreciated now to prevent work duplication. Would you agree so ? If you would agree, we can remove the gui-art project completely.

Separating the Trinity icons into an extra package is a possibility; that might be useful for anyone wanting to use the "standard package" icon theme for other distros/DEs.

I've considered the idea of having a base icon theme using the gray folders from Paper but falling back to Papirus for the majority of the icons. (I believe Faba and Moka work together in a similar fashion.) The problem with using Papirus before was that it was only available in backports for Debian 9. Papirus also tends to be on the larger side.

Aside from the drafts I posted to this forum being links from the gui-art repo, I'm okay with it being removed.

(Thanks for the packaging tips by the way!)

Offline

#104 2019-06-19 08:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Jaerrib wrote:

I've considered the idea of having a base icon theme using the gray folders from Paper but falling back to Papirus for the majority of the icons.

Yes, it could be an elegant way to enable a significant cleanup.

Offline

#105 2019-06-19 10:35

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

q4osteam wrote:
Jaerrib wrote:

I've considered the idea of having a base icon theme using the gray folders from Paper but falling back to Papirus for the majority of the icons.

Yes, it could be an elegant way to enable a significant cleanup.

Yes, that allows a cleanup of the current icon theme. It also creates an opportunity to have both a light and dark theme for those who prefer one over the other. It shifts the majority of the development work upstream as well. As a smaller project, we could focus on the folder colors and/or TDE specific needs.

We could recolor the folder style from Papirus to match the gray Paper folders. Alternatively, Paper supplied its source files on Github; those could be reworked. Of course, anything I contributed would need some adjustment to fit in, but that's a smaller mountain to climb by way of comparison. The Papirus team may be interested helping out or at least offering advice.

Offline

#106 2019-06-19 11:13

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

On a related note, does Paper-Q4OS pretty much stay as it is (I can still recolor my own work to better suit the Paper pallet) while we pursue a Papirus-Q4OS variant that falls back to the main Papirus icon theme? Going the latter route also lets us piggyback off of the tram working the Adapta themes and Adapta-KDE stuff. The trick would be creating a suitable theme that looks good along side those for anyone running Trinity.

Offline

#107 2019-06-19 11:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Agree on all of your thoughts.

Jaerrib wrote:

We could recolor the folder style from Papirus to match the gray Paper folders.

Well, this could be a way. However, don't forget, TDE renders some svg icons inappropriately, those would need to be reworked too. In addition, Paper icons fits in the Debonaire theme really perfectly, so if we make some icons rework, they must keep the current TDE/Debonaire integration level at least.

Offline

#108 2019-06-19 11:21

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Jaerrib wrote:

On a related note, does Paper-Q4OS pretty much stay as it is (I can still recolor my own work to better suit the Paper pallet) while we pursue a Papirus-Q4OS variant that falls back to the main Papirus icon theme?

Yes, however we need to be aware of TDE limitations.

Offline

#109 2019-06-20 01:43

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

So, two things then:

- Does Paper-Q4OS remain as it is, or should it continue the transition to Waterleaf? Regardless of the name (which really only signifies a change in maintainer), the theme works as it is, and no major changes need to be made. I would still continue to work on it, revising the TDE specific icons I contributed to better match the color pallet and shadowing style of Paper. Since there is a new version of Debian and Q4OS coming up soon, continuing on in this manner is more of an LTS style approach and may be better for users looking for that sort of stability.

- Is it feasible to work on a secondary project which integrates more with Papirus as an alternative optional theme? As a project, Papirus supports Plasma directly from the standpoint of icons, workspace themes, etc. The only objectives for "Papirus-Trinity" would be attempting to add in any icons missing in TDE and trying to come up with a similar widget/color scheme. I agree that Trinity does have some issues rendering svg files at times, which is why I would suggest a fair amount of testing before considering rolling it out. (Once done, it could be added to the look switcher.) This doesn't have to be an official Q4OS project, but I would gladly welcome contributions from the team (for example, your familiarity with Trinity and the structuring of the icon theme.)

Offline

#110 2019-06-20 09:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

- For Q4OS Scorpion, we will keep Paper-Q4OS as it is. For Centaurus, we want to depreciate Paper-Q4OS, replace it with Waterleaf and set Waterleaf as a Lookswitcher dependency. Waterleaf will become an official Q4OS Centaurus package, so we would appreciate, if you would update Waterleaf to be identical to the current Centaurus version of Paper-Q4OS first (as Scorpion and Centaurus version of Paper-Q4OS differs a bit), and then maintain and possibly improve it on the stable branch.

- Yes, it's feasible and appreciated. Once the new icon theme will be ready for publishing, it would be great to complete a new Lookswitcher theme(s), possibly dark one as well. Of course, we will provide as close cooperation as possible.

Offline

#111 2019-06-21 03:06

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

q4osteam wrote:

- For Q4OS Scorpion, we will keep Paper-Q4OS as it is. For Centaurus, we want to depreciate Paper-Q4OS, replace it with Waterleaf and set Waterleaf as a Lookswitcher dependency. Waterleaf will become an official Q4OS Centaurus package, so we would appreciate, if you would update Waterleaf to be identical to the current Centaurus version of Paper-Q4OS first (as Scorpion and Centaurus version of Paper-Q4OS differs a bit), and then maintain and possibly improve it on the stable branch.

I updated Waterleaf to match the Paper-Q4OS 3.5.1 package. Any improvements will use that as the new starting point.

q4osteam wrote:

- Yes, it's feasible and appreciated. Once the new icon theme will be ready for publishing, it would be great to complete a new Lookswitcher theme(s), possibly dark one as well. Of course, we will provide as close cooperation as possible.

Just a quick glance at using Papirus on Scorpion showed quite a few issues under Trinity...everything from missing icons to inconsistent fallbacks to things that could probably be solved with symlinks. This will probably take some time to sort out so I'll focus on polishing Waterleaf first. (Incidentally, when do you expect Centaurus to reach official stable release status? Let me know if there's anything that jumps out as needing immediate attention, and I'll do my best to address it as quickly as I can.)

I have an semi-workable alpha version of a Debonaire Dark theme. (I haven't figured out where the file gets saved though!) Two of the three menu types are fine; Bourbon has some minor issues on the right-hand side. Some apps also don't play nice with it. We had discussed the lookswitcher files to be able to fix settings for Konqueror, for example, but I haven't dug into it very much just yet.

Offline

#112 2019-06-21 10:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Centaurus should be released as soon as Buster becomes stable, so it will be around week 28. As far as we know, the Waterleaf icon-set has no blockers preventing it from being deployed in stable Centaurus. Thanks.

Offline

#113 2019-06-26 02:45

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

I recently compared the icons found in crystalsvg that are not in Paper-Q4OS/Waterleaf to see what we were missing that might be important for full Trinity support. There were some instances of crystalsvg using a png icon where Paper-Q4OS/Waterleaf used an svg icon. However, there were some other cases where the icon was missing entirely (for example, crystalsvg has a 16x16 airbrush icon in the actions folder.) I'm curious how many of these are actually important enough to pursue creating new icons (or simply symlinking to existing icons to avoid recreating the wheel, so to speak.)

My initial goal for Waterleaf is retouching the Trinity specific icons I already contributed with regard to color pallet and shadows. I've already started on that task, but I haven't uploaded anything as of yet. After that, I may start tackling some of what I mentioned above if it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

Offline

#114 2019-06-26 07:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Jaerrib wrote:

After that, I may start tackling some of what I mentioned above if it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

There are quite a few TDE icons missing in Waterleaf. The most easy, and effective, way to make a list of wanted icons, could be just login, come across the Trinity desktop, and see what icons are not well integrated at a sight. A system icons should take a precedence indeed.
As noted earlier, we could also make a list of "Trinity icons" and "Core icons" to be able to make separate packages: Core, Extra, Trinity.

Offline

#115 2019-06-27 01:25

Jaerrib
Member
From: Pennsylvania, USA
Registered: 2018-11-18
Posts: 139

Re: Debonaire icons

q4osteam wrote:

There are quite a few TDE icons missing in Waterleaf. The most easy, and effective, way to make a list of wanted icons, could be just login, come across the Trinity desktop, and see what icons are not well integrated at a sight. A system icons should take a precedence indeed.
As noted earlier, we could also make a list of "Trinity icons" and "Core icons" to be able to make separate packages: Core, Extra, Trinity.

I know there are multiple missing icons in the Network section of the Control Panel. Are all of those determined by files in /opt/trinity/share/desktop-directories or is there another location I should look in?

I should also check out the "Full featured Desktop" option in the profiler to see all the applications a new user might have on a fresh install. Anything that jumps out should take priority over the less commonly used apps with system icons being of an even higher priority. If the Q4OS team or anyone else notices anything out of place, let me know, and I'll do my best to correct it as soon as possible.

I am in agreement for considering splitting the icon theme into several packages. Unless someone wants to provide some direction on that, I've probably created enough work for myself just by trying to fill in the missing TDE icons! smile

Offline

#116 2019-06-27 09:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 2,413
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Yes, the icons for all folders in control panel are specified in "/opt/trinity/share/desktop-directories/*.directory" files. Most of TDE shortcuts are located in "/opt/trinity/share/applications/tde/*.desktop" files, inside of them you can find connected icons, except for those hardcoded though.

We would suggest to make splitting to packages by creating a simple text file listing all of available Waterleaf icons, with a certain syntax stating what package each icon belongs to. For example:

[icon name] ; [package]
..
tdenetworkmanager;trinity
welcome-screen;core
synaptic;extra
..

Based on this list, we would be able to make a simple script to build packages. What is your opinion on such a solution ?

Unfortunately, we are now quite busy completing the Centaurus release, so we will take some activity on this later. Feel free to focus on tasks you find meaningful on the Waterleaf project by yourself, any contribution is highly appreciated smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB