You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-18 05:50

Marcus

apt-get vs. update-manager

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the update procedure. I have run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade from the command line and all packages have been updated. Still the update-manager (applet) notified me that there where a few more updates to install. So I would like to know that the difference is between classical updates from cli and the applet? Does it do a dist-upgrade by default?

Greetings
Marcus

#2 2019-06-18 06:51

Dai_trying

Re: apt-get vs. update-manager

There is likely a time delay between you doing the updates and the update notifier updating it's status, did you install the "few more updates" via the update manager or did it just run through it sequence without actually updating anything?

You can check the apt logs to see what was installed and when at /var/log/apt/history.log which will show the actual command put to apt as well as the packages installed as a result (HINT: The update manager commands are usually longer with a few options added for automation).

#3 2019-06-18 16:40

Marcus

Re: apt-get vs. update-manager

Thanks for the reply.

No, the update-manager applet popped up directly after the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

But I have seen in the history that the update-manager actually does a dist-upgrade.

Greets
Marcus

Board footer