You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 07:00

Adam33

New with questions

I have decided to switch to Linux after 20 years of Windows and not wanting to move up from Windows 7. After trying multiple distributions and desktop environments, I've found Trinity to have the best UI (with MATE nearly tied), and Q4OS seemed like the best choice. However, I have three issues/questions.

First is this "Launch Feedback" mechanism that attaches the icon to the mouse pointer whenever I click on something. I've found ways to disable it bit-by-bit in a few places, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to disable it or turn it off by default system-wide. It drives me nuts!

Second, how do I apply the Appearance & Themes settings to applications running as root? For instance, if I run Konquerer as root, the toolbar text is in Droid Sans. They don't respect the font settings in the control center or in the root application's preferences, at least on the toolbars. Running as a regular user is no problem. Related to that, some windows running as root don't seem to render properly. I have to hover over text before it appears, or some items disappear completely.

Third, is there some way I can consistently open both folders files as root in a GUI file explorer using a right click? Dolphin seemed to want to protect some folders from this action (unless I went back and opened the parent folder as root), and it troubled me that it never asked my password.

Thanks!

#2 2019-03-21 07:42

bin

Re: New with questions

Hi and welcome to Q4OS
First - if you have not already done so - open terminal / Konsole and type

sudo kcmodules --unlock

This will allow access to all the UI config tools.
Customisations are user specific and not systemwide - WRT the fonts you can copy your .tderc file to root's home. That should provide the same fonts

For the mouse effects - right click the bottom panel/taskbar - unlock
Right click again - Configure Panel>Appearance - you'll see the 3 offending mouseouver actions at the top.

EDIT The other bit is in Appearance and Themes>Laaunch Feedback - I set mine to No Busy Cursor

As regards GUI access to files as root - this is generally frowned on and many environments are moving away from allowing it - there are some security implications long term as it alters some permissions on files. However, it's your machine. I think it will need some sort of custom servicemenu to give the right click action - I'll have a look.
EDIT I assume you have used the System>Super User>Konqueror as Roor but that it doesn't meet your needs?

Not sure about the corruptions unless you're using something like an ATI of Nvidia closed source driver perhaps? In that case you may have a local user config file that needs to be copied to root.

sudo password is cached for 30 minutes

Last edited by bin (2019-03-21 12:42)

#3 2019-03-21 14:28

Adam33

Thanks. I didn't have the "Launch Feedback" part set. MUCH better! smile

I copied the .tderc file and still get Droid Sans. It does not respect settings in /root/.tderc.

After some experimentation, the key file in this case is /root/.trinity/share/config/kdeglobals. The font settings appear to be in that folder. Shouldn't the configuration option in the toolbar (if run as root) set them there?

As for the file manager, my bigger concern is that it "remembers" the root password rather than prompt for it each time I try to access. Can that be changed?

Last edited by Adam33 (2019-03-21 14:40)

#4 2019-03-21 17:27

bin

The values would only be changed if you were logged in as root - sudo ain't root smile

The timeout is set here:-

/etc/sudoers.d/q4_sudo_confd 

Just change the value to something lower in the first line. That's a global setting.

Board footer