You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 03:16

Jaerrib
Website

Centaurus wallpaper suggestions

The mix of included wallpapers with Scorpion is nice. There are some inherited from the TDE project as well as community contributions. Although there is more to a distro than wallpaper and icons, a lot of YouTube reviewers and the like tend to comment on visuals as part of their initial impressions. Since the release of Debian 10, and thus Q4OS 3, is just around the corner, I've been thinking about what we could do to make Centaurus even better. I believe I've seen someone post a nice wallpaper featuring a centaur that is planned to be included when Centaurus is released. I have some other suggestions for possible inclusion if anyone is interested.

• Unsplash.com features high quality photos all available under a do-whatever-you-want license. Unlike Pixabay, you also don't need an account (free or otherwise) to download the full resolution image. (I think I read somewhere that Unsplash is the source for some of the wallpapers used by elementary OS.)

• The simpleOutlook theme that was submitted for Debian 10 was not chosen for inclusion but has several minimalist landscape wallpapers. They're colorful, clean, and could compliment the Debonaire theme well. They're licensed as GPL-2.0+ and offer the original svg source files making it very easy to remove the Debian logo. I would be happy to maintain a Github repo with proper licensing, crediting the author with a link pointing back to the corresponding Debian page.

• We could have a community contest and choose from those submissions, much like Ubuntu and some of its flavors do.

• We could also just leave things as they are with the existing wallpaper choices.

#2 2019-03-04 09:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Centaurus wallpaper suggestions

Yes, we definitely need to enrich and improve the existing wallpapers to match the Debonaire theme. We prefer a clean, simple svg wallpapers, something like these https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/simpleOutlook, however others would be appreciated as well. If you would modify the simpleOutlook wallpapers and maintain the Github repository, so we could pick and make some of wallpapers official, we would appreciate it a lot.

#3 2019-03-05 02:48

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Yes, we definitely need to enrich and improve the existing wallpapers to match the Debonaire theme. We prefer a clean, simple svg wallpapers, something like these https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/simpleOutlook, however others would be appreciated as well. If you would modify the simpleOutlook wallpapers and maintain the Github repository, so we could pick and make some of wallpapers official, we would appreciate it a lot.

The Github repo is up at https://github.com/jaerrib/simpleOutlook. I removed the Debian logo from all of the images and uploaded everything in both svg and png format. I also added a subtly modified version of the ocean wallpaper.

I'll work on some original ideas in the requested style and post my progress.

#4 2019-03-09 21:19

Jaerrib
Website

Here are few samples of things I've worked on recently:

origami1.png
origami2.png
origami3.png
centaurus.png
q4os-design.png

#5 2019-04-25 01:15

Jaerrib
Website

I uploaded a variation of the simpleOutlook-glass wallpaper that inherits the background color set by the user rather than using the original color palette. It exists in both svg and png format here: https://github.com/jaerrib/simpleOutlook

#6 2019-04-26 08:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The simpleOutlook-glass adaptive wallpaper looks cool, we will test it and possibly include into the official wallpaper set.

#7 2019-06-16 02:17

Jaerrib
Website

The size and alignment for origami3 (the orange one) was off slightly. I uploaded corrections for both the svg and png files to my Github repo.

#8 2019-06-16 19:36

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks, they will be included as soon as possible.

Board footer