You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-10 04:08

debiandonder

Music Player

I did a basic desktop install and would just like to know which music player is included in the full desktop install? I can't seem to get various music players to work on my system.

Everything else works,after installing a document viewer, image viewer, browser and Abiword.

#2 2019-02-10 10:52

Dai_trying

Re: Music Player

I can't see a media player in the profiles so would guess that it is one of the packages that the user is expected to choose themselves, again I would guess this is because of the huge choice in media players available.

I use xmms2 as it is very small and I created my own front-end for it to do what I need from a media player. If you search in synaptic package manager you will find a lot of choices and of course they can be installed/removed until you find one that suits your needs.

#3 2019-02-10 10:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

There is VLC included as media player in the full profile.

#4 2019-02-10 11:39

debiandonder

Yes, VLC is easy to install from the "Install applications" choice, but it is really a video player and not a music cd player. I don't know how to use VLC to rip a music cd and but it in the music folder with the proper artist and tracks identified by the program.

I used Rhythmbox in Ubuntu 14.04 and it worked with ease. It doesn't seem to work in Q40S. It doesn't detect the cd's information. Clementine identified the artist and songs but I could not rip it successfully to my pc.

When you put a cd in Zorin OS 9 based on Ubuntu it lets you select the right program to open the cd with, that worked very well.

Last edited by debiandonder (2019-02-10 11:39)

#5 2019-02-10 15:03

Dai_trying

You should get a dialog box display when you insert a disc (or usb/dvd etc) into the machine asking if you want it to perform a particular task or open a specific application which you can make it use as a default, unless you have disabled these notifications or already assigned it to another audio player...

#6 2019-02-10 21:46

debiandonder

I uninstalled VLC player and installed Banshee. Just click import or something and it worked like it should have in the first place. Any alternatives to VLC? I don't want to use the program again, it gets in the way, trying to play music cd's.

Last edited by debiandonder (2019-02-10 21:47)

#7 2019-02-11 09:51

Dai_trying

debiandonder wrote:

Any alternatives to VLC? I don't want to use the program again, it gets in the way, trying to play music cd's.

Do you want an alternative Audio or Video player?

I only use VLC for Video and an alternative could be Smplayer which is a frontend for Mplayer which you could also use directly if you wish (or install Mplayer instead).

For audio ther really are a huge amount of choices, you would likely be best off searching google (or your favourite search engine) for "linux Audio players" which should give you many hits one of them would be this which gives you an overview of 21 of them.

https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-audio-music-players/

And of course you could do the same for Video players and get similar results like this.

https://www.tecmint.com/10-best-open-so … x-in-2015/

#8 2019-02-11 14:35

debiandonder

Banshee Media Player was the only program that played and also ripped music cd's to my hard drive. VLC seems to interfere with music players on my pc. I have a lot of cd's to put on my pc and will not be playing any video's for now.

I will test Banshee video capabilities later, but thus far it works ver well with audio cd's.

#9 2019-02-15 21:56

debiandonder

I figured out how to use Amarok and it has lyrics too! Very nice. Debian is nice, but more difficult to navigate than Ubuntu based distributions.

Board footer