You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 01:11

Jaerrib
Website

Debonaire icons

I've uploaded a few new icons for the Debonaire theme. You can check them out on Github (https://github.com/q4os/gui-art). I have some others, such as the one used for managing users from the control panel, in the works. Are there any icon requests from the community?

Last edited by Jaerrib (2018-12-04 04:09)

#2 2018-12-09 03:55

Jaerrib
Website

Re: Debonaire icons

Modified the menu icon colors to match those found on the updated Q4OS logo. New draft previews as well.

drafts of Q4OS menu icons

other draft icons

#3 2018-12-09 09:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The icons look great, we will include them into the next Lookswitcher version, as well as the Q4OS Centaurus release, thanks smile

#4 2018-12-13 01:23

danielson

They sure look good!
Looking forward to seeing them implemented! wink

DELL Optiplex 7060 - 8G RAM.

#5 2019-01-13 22:34

Jaerrib
Website

Draft of a new icon for TDevelop Q4OS:
drafts of Q4OS menu icons

#6 2019-01-19 23:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Lookswitcher tool has been updated, all the new icons are included. We have tested icons carefully, they work with TDE just fine even the tdepowersave systemtray icons show the battery charge level properly. Although icons looks great, we would have a few suggestions.

1. distributor-logo-q4os as well as some other .svg files have a bit complicated internal structure, some internal objects could be converted to curves and optimized quite significantly, see attachment "distributor-logo-debian3.svg" as an example.

2. the design of some icons might be simplified a bit to be smaller in byte size, for ex. "suspend_to_ram.svg" and "processor.svg". Anyway they look and work great, so they could be left as is.

3. please keep in mind, the icons should look quite "softly" to follow the Paper theme properly.

@Jaerrib
Thanks for that great help, keep up the excellent work smile

Attachments:
svg distributor-logo-debian3.svg, Size: 12.79 KiB, Downloads: 1,024

#7 2019-01-22 02:44

Jaerrib
Website

Lookswitcher tool has been updated, all the new icons are included. We have tested icons carefully, they work with TDE just fine even the tdepowersave systemtray icons show the battery charge level properly. Although icons looks great, we would have a few suggestions.

Glad to see the battery charge levels display properly. I was eager to see how those were going to turn out.

1. distributor-logo-q4os as well as some other .svg files have a bit complicated internal structure, some internal objects could be converted to curves and optimized quite significantly, see attachment "distributor-logo-debian3.svg" as an example.

Looking through how the .svg files included with the update are displaying, it seems the Q4OS logo got lost in translation somewhere compared to how the icons were created. I've seen a similar issue when using .svg files as wallpaper. I will look into this and try to improve upon that as soon as I'm able.

2. the design of some icons might be simplified a bit to be smaller in byte size, for ex. "suspend_to_ram.svg" and "processor.svg". Anyway they look and work great, so they could be left as is.

I agree that those icons in particular are probably overly complicated, especially for the size at which they're displayed. The colors I chose to use also kind of get lost around the edges as well. Again, I will revisit those when I look at the others.

3. please keep in mind, the icons should look quite "softly" to follow the Paper theme properly.

Is there something in particular you'd like to see? Am I missing subtle rounding on the corners or is a palette change necessary? I'm open to whatever suggestions you have.

@Jaerrib
Thanks for that great help, keep up the excellent work smile

Glad to be of service. Thank you for including my contributions.

#8 2019-01-22 23:32

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

Is there something in particular you'd like to see?

No, it's just a general request only. Again, icons look great, make the design by your feeling.

Nonetheless, we have found a couple of glitches.

1. tdevelop.svg .. TDE drawing differs significantly from a svg editor. Q4OS logo suffers by this glitch too, but the effect is quite positive in that case smile We guess, it may be solved by simplifying the structure of the images, but please try to keep the overall look of the "tdevelop.svg", it's perfect.

2. configure.svg, display.svg .. Conflict with already present icons in the Paper theme. Before we can replace the original icons with the ones you created, it's needed to create variants for other sizes 16x16, 24, 32, 48, 64, 128 too. In general, it could be enough to modify image border thickness, please see some original svg variants from the Paper theme.

#9 2019-01-23 03:36

Jaerrib
Website

1. tdevelop.svg .. TDE drawing differs significantly from a svg editor. Q4OS logo suffers by this glitch too, but the effect is quite positive in that case smile We guess, it may be solved by simplifying the structure of the images, but please try to keep the overall look of the "tdevelop.svg", it's perfect.

I looked into this a little. I was able to do a document cleanup in Inkscape which decreased the file size slightly but didn't have any effect on how the icon displayed under TDE. (What I'm seeing is the green circle area dropping out and not being displayed.) What I find intriguing is the fact that this phenomenon does not occur in my Plasma session at all. With the Q4OS logo, the lower right portion has some sort of distortion going on under TDE and nothing wrong at all on Plasma. I'll continue to investigate and pass on what I find.

2. configure.svg, display.svg .. Conflict with already present icons in the Paper theme. Before we can replace the original icons with the ones you created, it's needed to create variants for other sizes 16x16, 24, 32, 48, 64, 128 too. In general, it could be enough to modify image border thickness, please see some original svg variants from the Paper theme.

Easy enough to tweak and export those. Is it just those two icons you need the variants for, or are there others as well?

#10 2019-01-23 08:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Ad1. Yes, we can confirm TDE displays svg in a different way. Nonetheless, we didn't observe such issue with other Paper icons, so you could check how they actually differs.

Ad2. Just those two icons needed now, however you could make others as well.

#11 2019-01-23 15:21

Jaerrib
Website

I fixed the tdevelop icon so that the green area displays properly and uploaded the change to Github.  I also figured out what was going on with the Q4OS logo for the menu icons. It had something to do with how the original .svg file was created. Plasma is apparently fine with not displaying transparent portions, but TDE is not. Once I ungrouped all of the elements in Inkscape, it became obvious that the lower right part of the logo was still present within the file and was overlapping with the rectangle when displayed under TDE. I have to get ready for work, but I will tweak all of the color variations and upload those changes this evening. I'll work on exporting the smaller versions of the requested icons, too.

#12 2019-01-24 03:06

Jaerrib
Website

Updated icons:
1. Tweaked the base color of display.svg to show up a little better on light backgrounds and added the smaller versions of configure.svg and display.svg
2. Darkened the colors of the "connector pins" for processor.svg and suspend_to_ram.svg to show up better at smaller sizes. Cleaned up the documents to get slightly smaller file sizes.

#13 2019-01-24 11:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Icons size variants should have different border thickness at least. Thinner, or no border for smaller icons, see for example "xorg.svg", 16x16 versus 64x64, from the q4os-paper theme. Moreover, icons variant could have different proportions in addition, alike xorg.svg again.

#14 2019-01-24 11:32

Jaerrib
Website

I'll reference that icon and revise mine accordingly. I've not done much icon work so I'm still learning some things as I go.

#15 2019-01-24 11:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

It would be enough to only update border for now. As completed, we can definitely replace original paper icons by that yours. Anyway, you are doing a great job.

#16 2019-01-25 01:57

Jaerrib
Website

I modified the 16x16 versions of those two icons. I compared some of the other size variations for xorg.svg. Those all seemed to retain the details of the larger version. Are you looking for a similar, less detailed variant or a compromise between the two styles for the 24x24 and/or the other sizes as well?

(On a side note, the Desktop Profiler should probably symlink to q4os-updatemgr.svg for the sake of visual consistency; it's still using the older style.)

#17 2019-01-25 09:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Jaerrib wrote:

Are you looking for a similar, less detailed variant or a compromise between the two styles for the 24x24 and/or the other sizes as well?

A compromise for different sizes would be better, but less detailed variant is enough for now.

Jaerrib wrote:

(On a side note, the Desktop Profiler should probably symlink to q4os-updatemgr.svg for the sake of visual consistency; it's still using the older style.)

Yes, please make the symlink, however we might need a new specific icon for Desktop profiler. It could have a completely different look.

#18 2019-01-28 02:01

Jaerrib
Website

I uploaded modified versions of the 24x24 and 32x32 icons for configure.svg and display.svg. They feature thinner borders, no shadows and are slightly larger (within the confines of the icon space) to improve visibility at their smaller sizes. I left the 48x48 ones alone since those should carry the details better.

As for a new icon for the desktop profiler, how's this?
desktop-profiler.png

#19 2019-01-28 08:18

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Great smile

#20 2019-01-28 09:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

A couple of suggestions:

Why "display.svg" in scalable/devices/, but 16x16/actions/ ?

"tdevelop.png" in scalable/ , should it be in drafts maybe ?

#21 2019-01-28 11:24

Jaerrib
Website

That would be a mistake on my part for both of those. (My kids were being crazy when I was uploading files!) I'll have to correct the locations.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Let me know if any other files are in the wrong location.

Last edited by Jaerrib (2019-01-29 00:24)

#22 2019-01-29 09:54

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, it looks perfect now, thanks. As you would have a time, it would be helpful to create "desktop-profiler.svg", "q4os-updatemgr.svg" and "distributor-logo-q4os1.svg" size variants, the exactly same way as display.svg and configure.svg.

#23 2019-02-02 01:40

Jaerrib
Website

q4osteam wrote:

Yes, it looks perfect now, thanks. As you would have a time, it would be helpful to create "desktop-profiler.svg", "q4os-updatemgr.svg" and "distributor-logo-q4os1.svg" size variants, the exactly same way as display.svg and configure.svg.

Just uploaded size variants for all three of those icons.

(Also nice to see some of the changes in the recent update. Thanks for including my contributions!)

#24 2019-02-05 14:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We would have a few more suggestions and requests, as you have a time.

- An indentical keyboard.svg exists in apps as well as in devices, is it redundant ?
- "desktop-profiler.svg" shows incorrectly in Trinity for some reason, the cogwheel is black instead of grey.
- Designing a brand new welcome screen icon.
- We have added a "distributor-logo-q4os-m1.svg". It's just an older version of distributor-logo icon which suffers by a TDE rendering glitch, but the resulting effect looks perfect, if used as TDE start menu icon. You could try to fix the icon, but keep the real appearance as shown in TDE. We can use it as the default Trinity start menu icon.
- We would definitely need size variants for all icons, if you have a time to do that.

Thanks for helping Q4OS

#25 2019-02-07 03:21

Jaerrib
Website

- I removed the redundant keyboard.svg file in apps and changed the shade of grey and did document cleanups in Inkscape for all size variations of the desktop profiler icon. (I forked the repo so I could try using GitKraken to upload files. That being the case, I will submit pull requests for the changes I just made. If that ends up being a pain, I'll go back to using the web interface for Github.)

- The welcome screens for both Manjaro and Ubuntu Mate use their distro logo. Do you want to go that route, or is there another approach you want to take?

- Knowing how the glitch appears in TDE, I did a quick draft of two different ways of making the menu icon appear regardless of desktop. The one on the left is the original glitch with the quarter circle overlapping the lower leg of the Q. The other is cleaned up a little. I can adjust the final version either way.
menu-icon.png

- Just to be clear, is that size variants for literally ALL icons or is there room to symlink anything to the 64x64 versions? I don't mind doing the work; just making sure I'm putting energy where it's needed.

Board footer