You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-26 15:59

Hermanson

How to join sudo group in Q4OS 12 ???

I am the targeted Windows user, attempting to use Linux for the first time.
I chose Q4OS because the descriptions say that this distribution is intended for Windows users with no Linux experience.

I successfully installed Q4OS 12 on my XP machine as a dual boot option.  But now I am having trouble installing the XPQ4 themes.
The  instructions say I must be in the "sudo group".  The instructions for including a user in the "sudo group" don't seem to be written
for Q4OS 12.  I see no way to assign a user to a group, much less the "sudo group".

Am I missing something or is this simply "Linux speak" that got overlooked because all Linux users knows how to join a "sudo group" ?

Linux wannabee needing help here.

Hermanson

#2 2018-12-26 20:44

Dai_trying

Re: How to join sudo group in Q4OS 12 ???

Hi Hermanson and welcome to the forum, first off I have to point out the version numbers for Q4OS are :-

2.x code-named Scorpion
3.x code-named Centaurus

This makes me a little unsure about what you have actually installed... to make sure you have a supported version please run the following command from a terminal and post the output here

get-q4os-version

First check if you are actually a member of that group already. This command will list all groups that your user is a member of

groups

check if sudo is in the list.

To add a user to the sudo group you would first need to become root, this can usually be done with the following command

su -

You will need to enter the root user password here.
And then you can use this command to add a user (dai in this example) to a group (sudo in this example)

usermod -a -G sudo dai

please note that user and group must already exist.

#3 2018-12-26 21:20

Hermanson

Thank you Dai.
My mistake on the version number.  I have been trying multiple Linux distributions today.
I am running Q4OS Version 2.6 that I downloaded from the Q4OS website yesterday.

I will give your instructions a try and report back.
If the sudo group is not listed, how do I make the group?

Also, where can I find a list of console commands with descriptions.

Thank you for your time in offering assistance.

Hermanson

#4 2018-12-26 21:55

Dai_trying

I'm sure the group should be created at installation of the sudo package, check that sudo package is installed with

apt policy sudo

the result should look something like this is sudo is installed

apt policy sudo
sudo:
  Installed: 1.8.19p1-2.1
  Candidate: 1.8.19p1-2.1
  Version table:
 *** 1.8.19p1-2.1 500
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

if it is not installed the installed line will state (none) and can be installed using

apt install sudo

as root

As for terminal commands, I do not know of any definitive list as each OS can have custom scripts/commands that can be used, and each package can install multiple commands that can be used.
To get you started you can type in a terminal the command

help

this will give you some basic bash commands and if you want specifics to any command you can type

man command

just replace command with the actual command you want to use ie man ls gives this :-

LS(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        LS(1)

NAME
       ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
       List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default).  Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort
       is specified.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.

-a, --all
              do not ignore entries starting with .

-A, --almost-all
              do not list implied . and ..

--author
              with -l, print the author of each file

-b, --escape
 Manual page ls(1) line 1 (press h for help or q to quit)

HTH

#5 2018-12-26 22:19

Hermanson

Thank you very much.

#6 2018-12-27 00:44

Dai_trying

You're welcome smile

#7 2018-12-27 01:03

Hermanson

With your help, Dai, I was able to confirm that my username was a sudo group member.

Just to be sure, I attempted to install the XPQ4 desktop schemes again, using the auto-installing download file.
The install wizard stated that the schemes were already installed and aborted the re-install.  I was not, however able to see them in
my Settings/DesktopThemes.

To test the validity of this messsage, I attempted to install the Free version (previously I had installed the non-free version).
The install wizard went through the installation and confirmed that the Free themes were successfully installed.
However, I saw no change to my available desktop themes in the Settings window.  ????

Perhaps I am not accessing them correctly or perhaps there is another step that I am omitting.

Any help appreciated.

Hermanson

#8 2018-12-27 01:16

Dai_trying

You should have an icon on your desktop for XPQ4. if not it will be in the menu somewhere but not sure exactly but probably in either Programs -> Accessories -> System or Programs -> Accessories -> Settings

#9 2018-12-27 02:22

Hermanson

Yes, I have the icon and can also access it through Settings.
But it only displays 4 themes, non of which look like the Windows themes, except one Win 10 theme.

At this point I think I should have about 6-12 various free and non-free themes available, including Win2000, WinXP, WinXp Classic, etc.

I wonder if the themes can only be applied to the Trinity System.
I installed the Plasma System of Scorpion.

Hermanson

#10 2018-12-27 09:42

Dai_trying

I think that is quite likely as XPQ4 was designed for the trinity desktop, a quick google for "Linux Plasma desktop themes" shows many results for some stunning themes that are available for the Plasma DE.

Board footer