You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-09 13:15

tonanis

WiFi problems

Hello
I have installed Q4OS 3.4 Centaurus in my raspberry pi 3 but the wifi is not working. There is no list of ssid and when i introduced it manually it doesn´t connect.
I have been searching the forum and the firmware-brcm80211 is updated.
With nmcli dev:
wlan0 wifi not available

I have generated the qreport.tar.gz but im still guessing how to send in the post

I don´t know linux and i apreciate your help.
Thank you very much

#2 2018-11-10 13:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: WiFi problems

You can add an attachment clicking to "Choose file" button under the Attachment section, when you create a topic, or post a reply.

We have checked the "qreport.tar.gz" file sent via e-mail, the initialization of wireless device looks good. The issue could be connected to some user permissions restriction. Please try to login as the first user "pi", try to make a wireless connection and report back the result.

#3 2018-11-15 13:43

tped

If it helps ... I struggled with WiFi & NetworkManager on 2.6/Scorpion on RPI3 and RPI3B+.   So problem may predate Centaurus

GUI TDE NetworkManager just seems disconnected from WiFi world.  Similar symptoms to tonanis report ... no list of ssid to connect to.  I can manually set up a connection, but still unable to manually connect to saved networks via NetworkManager

I've fiddled and have WiFi working on my machines but have not managed to get NetworkManager to function

I'm somewhat of a hack, but here are things I've tried (right or wrong ...)
- Setting up wifi using raspi-config (user pi from console).  It works, but did not reconnect wifi after a reboot
- Modified /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf - changed managed=false to managed=true.  Still no luck
- Finally edited /etc/network/interfaces in an attempt to bring network interfaces up after a boot.  NetworkManager still doesn't work, but Wifi reconnects after boots.  This works for me.    Added the following lines:

# Attempt to bring network interfaces up after boot
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

Hope it helps.  Happy to send diagnostics or additional info if needed

#4 2018-11-15 23:10

tonanis

Hello.
Thanks for your messages. I tried with the initial user. I format the sd and install again all just in case i touched some permission by accident. Finally i install a raspbian to test the wifi just in case it was broken. But wifi is working so its not a hardware problem.
I don´t know linux so every suggest its a world for me, but this weekend i will play with tped suggests.

I really appreciate your help. I appologize not to be more useful.

Thank you very  much

#5 2018-11-16 07:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks all for reporting. You could also proceed a little testing, bypassing Trinity network manager. Please try to connect a wifi network using "nmtui" tool, a simple NetworkManager text user interface. Run it in terminal:
$ nmtui
try to make a connection and report back.

#6 2018-11-16 10:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could also try to enable predictable network interface names using terminal command:
$ sudo raspi-config
Network Options > N3 Network interface names > Enable predictable network interface names
Save, reboot, try to list wireless networks and report back.

#7 2018-11-16 19:22

tonanis

Ok. I have installed Q4OS Scorpion for raspberry pi. I have no change the default user. No wifi networks located nor not manually connection. I tried to enable predictable network and restart, with no success. Then I tried nmtui from terminal, and i create manually the conection but again no connection. Then i edited /etc/network/interfaces as tped suggest and the icon change and restart but no connection. So i modified /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and restart and now its working. I´m connected to the wifi and the icon is green smile
If i can do something else for you just let me know. Again many thanks to the Q4OS Team and specially to tped for the steps, interest and time.

#8 2018-11-16 23:51

tonanis

I have arrived home and tried to connect to my wifi. I needed to do 4 times until i was able to repeat the correect sequence. Its a pity this doesn´t work as i enjoy Q4os, but this system is a bit annoying. The wifi networks don´t appear in the list (anyone), i can´t create it from the NetworkManager GUI, the icon is green always connected or not, ...
It´s just a comment. Except for that a good experience

Thank  you

#9 2018-11-17 00:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could also try to install Network Manager from the Q4OS Software centre, it will replace TDE network manager, and post back the experience.

#10 2018-11-18 14:30

tped

I installed q4os-network-manager (1.6-a1) assuming that is what you wanted to use to replace TDE Net MGR.  Ethernet works, but still no luck on wifi.

Right-Click on tray icon shows Networking & Wi-Fi everything enabled (checked). 
Left-Click on tray icon  shows Wi-Fi Networks "device not ready"

--------------------
I created a fresh q4os sd (from q4os-2.6-rpi.r4 on website) just to make sure I didn't have any of my fumbling network tweaks in the way.  Currently running on rpi 3 (builtin wifi).  Happy to test or provide diagnostics on this config if you need it

#11 2018-11-20 14:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@tped
Thanks for the info, it would be helpful, if you would provide journal log of the fresh system, if possible. Please run in terminal:
$ sudo journalctl | gzip > /tmp/journal.gz
and attach the "/tmp/journal.gz" file here.

#12 2018-11-20 18:53

tped

here's the journalctl output.  Booted with ethernet unplugged, hope that's OK

Have fun!

Attachments:
gz journal.gz, Size: 12.33 KiB, Downloads: 818

#13 2018-11-20 19:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

That's perfect, thanks for the help.

#14 2018-11-21 08:16

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We probably found the root of the issue, as the "dhcpcd5" package conflicts with network manager. Please try to run in terminal:
$ sudo apt purge dhcpcd5
Reboot, try to connect a wireless network, and report back.

#15 2018-11-27 12:13

tped

Sorry 'bout delay (loooong weekend)

purged dhcpcd5 package and all seems OK!   Network manager shows available WiFi networks, connects to them fine & connections seem to live thru reboots!

Good job, thanks

#16 2019-01-21 22:12

chris19

Hi.
I installed Q4OS Scorpiob Plazma on Windows 7 64x. Network Manager is installed also but WiFi does not work. It cannot see any wifi connections around,even mine. Internet works only only on Wired Ethernet. Cannot uninstall Network Manager (to install it again and try fixing the problem).
I am new to Q4OS but I am quite experienced with Windows - all versions. Unfortunately it does not help...
The reason I wanted Q4OS was mainly to do safe internet browsing through WiFi and now I am seriously dissappointed...
I read quite a few articles and the forum and it seems this problem is quite common and difficult to deal with.
I need help:). As I said I am not familiar with command lines...

Hi again.
Problem solved! Just over-installed Q4OS.

Last edited by chris19 (2019-01-23 12:15)

Board footer