You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-02 03:12

JimW

Python GUI

Can someone recommend a good, easy GUI for Python? I've read that VI is good but I'm not that familiar with VI.
Oh, something available for Q4OS! Not Windows only!!!

#2 2018-11-02 08:59

Dai_trying

Re: Python GUI

Not sure what you mean by "GUI for python", but if you want an IDE then I would recommend PyCharm. If you want to create a GUI using Python then I would recommend using PyQt5 (or PyQt4 for more abundant documentation/examples) as I have found it pretty good. A GUI can be created using Qt5 Designer (a full development environment can be installed using the q4os-devpack available from the q4os download page)

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-11-02 09:00)

#3 2018-11-02 13:07

JimW

Thanks Dai, I kinda thought you might answer! smile
I think you pretty well covered what I wanted. Have to download and install that dev pack. Looking for something to learn this winter!
I have programmed in BASIC (starting with the one in MSDOS around Win 3.0 time), Fortran a bit, C, C++ a bit, and quite a bit in Visual Basic 4 and 5. I was kinda hoping for something like VB4 or 5 IDE but can work with other methods.

Thanks Dai!

#4 2018-11-02 13:28

Dai_trying

You're welcome, I am by no means an expert in Python but found it to be really easy to pick up and very useful to create small apps quite quickly, below is a small app I created to help me to scale images down, you put the width and height of an image into the two boxes at the top and then move the slider down to the required percentage so I could maintain aspect ratio. There are ways to resize images to automatically do this but I wanted the dimensions for a web page I was working on and wanted to make sure everything fitted correctly so I wrote this.

The first example shows the GUI file (sizeslider.py) and the logic file (main.py) this worked exactly how I expected and I was happy with it but then I merged the two into one file and ended up with a single file (new_main.py)

5a44BJ0.png

This is probably the most simple GUI app I have written and as you can see is only 4Kb in size, but saved me a lot of messing with maths (or math for USA). smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-11-02 13:31)

Attachments:
py main.py, Size: 1008 B, Downloads: 885
py sizeslider.py, Size: 4.26 KiB, Downloads: 853
py new_main.py, Size: 4.17 KiB, Downloads: 930

Board footer