You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 20:48

jschall

How to autostart an application?

I tried following this from the FAQ:
"You need to add an application shortcut, i.e. the '.desktop' file, into the '$HOME/.trinity/Autostart' or '$HOME/.q4data/Programs/Startup' autostart folder.

I am using the MATE desktop environment.

I put two of my .desktop files, conky.desktop and anydesk.desktop, in BOTH of those folders.

But when I login to MATE again, those programs don't start.

What am I doing wrong?

#2 2018-09-25 11:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: How to autostart an application?

jschall wrote:

I tried following this from the FAQ:
"You need to add an application shortcut, i.e. the '.desktop' file, into the '$HOME/.trinity/Autostart' or '$HOME/.q4data/Programs/Startup' autostart folder.

This procedure is applicable for Trinity desktop only. We would recommend you to add application shortcuts into the '$HOME/.config/autostart' folder to autostart applications for Mate as well as other XDG complying desktop environments.

#3 2018-09-25 15:22

jschall

Thank you, Q4OS Team.

I had to create the $HOME/.config/autostart folder befor moving the .desktop files into it.

But it worked.

#4 2020-04-30 12:52

DAC324

jschall wrote:

Thank you, Q4OS Team.

I had to create the $HOME/.config/autostart folder befor moving the .desktop files into it.

But it worked.

This does not work under Trinity - it's just the other way round.

If you use Trinity, you will have to use

$HOME/.trinity/Autostart

When using different desktop environments,

$HOME/.config/autostart

may or may not work.

Kind regards,
DAC324

#5 2020-04-30 13:27

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

In addition

$HOME/.configtde/autostart/

would be the proper alternative auto-start folder in Q4OS.

#6 2021-01-24 14:32

ot2f

I have tried to get Onboard virt. keyboard pop up at login with these methods on my tablet pc. These only work after login. How can I manage to have a keyboard at login screen? Any more suggestions? thanks

#7 2021-01-25 09:57

hchiper

I use Q4OS 3.13.1 with Plasma. I found that I had to put my .desktop files into

$HOME/.configkde/autostart

I have also other existing autostart folders

$HOME/.configlxqt/autostart
$HOME/.configtde/autostart

I guess they are specific for LXQT and TDE except that, for TDE, q4odteam has mentioned

$HOME/.q4data/Programs/Startup

Indeed, with Plasma, nothing autostarted from

$HOME/.config/autostart

Moreover, if I put a .desktop file there, Dolphin displays its icon with an exclamation mark in a small orange square superimposed. This probably indicates a problem, but I have no idea of what the problem is, except that Dolphin might be clever enough to detect that this .desktop file is in an inappropriate folder; is it?
A few weeks ago, a new .desktop file for MEGAsync still appeared there automatically (with the exclamation mark), maybe after an automatic update of megasync... Any suggestion of what I should do with this new file? Overwrite the one in the "kde" autostart folder?

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#8 2021-01-27 14:41

Tolkem

What about System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart ? Then just hit Add Program or Add Script navigate to the executable/binary/script's location, select it, click on apply and that's it.  This in Plasma, don't know about TDE, but it works for me just fine. I haven't used Mate in a very long time, but this article explains how to do what you want to

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li … uge%20list.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-01-27 14:42)

Board footer