You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 20:06

arjay

Trinity - no Hibernate option and suspend to RAM or Disk both fail

Hi all

New user and very impressed with Trinity so far. Chose and installed the full option. Everything works really well and the speed of response is awesome.

However, suspending is a different matter.  I am running Q4OS on a desktop and there does not seem to be any option to Hibernate.  In addition, neither of the Suspend options (to RAM or Disk) work.  On resume it just says "Suspend Failure" and the system goes into a full reboot. So basically I have to shut down which means losing my open browsers and all the tabs....

Did a couple of searches here and on Google but can't figure out what the problem is.

Any help appreciated

#2 2018-06-07 20:59

Dai_trying

Re: Trinity - no Hibernate option and suspend to RAM or Disk both fail

There is one post that might help, a user modified /etc/default/grub to get correct suspend features, it might be worth a quick read, if you are unsure exactly what to do post back and we can take you through it. smile

#3 2018-06-07 21:59

arjay

Thanks for the helpful reply.  Actually, I did find the post you mention but stupidly did not realise there was a second page which offered a solution.

Anyway, I followed this - modifying GRUB to include a link to my swap partition and then updating GRUB.  I rebooted to be on the safe side.  When I tried both Suspend options, basically I ended up with a process that appeared to reboot, going to the boot menu, choosing Q4OS, entering my PW and then the system booted into Trinity but with my previous desktop intact (i.e. my browser open with all the previous tabs, and a copy of Konsole open from the previous session). 

However, I still got an error message that said "Suspend Failed".  I thought that resuming from suspend should go straight to the saved desktop - not in this case.  It was a strange mixture of a full reboot, but with a preserved desktop?

#4 2018-06-07 23:20

Dai_trying

That is a bit strange, I've just been testing my laptop with suspend and hibernate and I can suspend to ram without issue everything seems to be working ok there.
I cannot suspend to disk though, not sure why as I am getting no error messages, my screen blinks off about a second and then comes back on and everything continues as if nothing happened.
I also tried systemctl hibernate from a terminal in case TDEPowersave was causing the issue but it does exactly the same as suspend to disk (which I'm guessing is pretty much the same thing).

I have to say I do not usually use these features so have never tested them apart from when helping diagnose a problem, hopefully someone a bit better versed with these settings will let us know what to try.

I'm going to try my Centaurus installation now and will post results here afterwards.

#5 2018-06-08 07:28

arjay

Stranger and stranger: I enabled auto login both through the Welcome Screen and through a terminal, and this works fine when I do a full shut down and start up. 

However, if I suspend to ram (or disk), as described in my earlier post, it stutters about, screen goes blank, several beeps and everything stops as if it has suspended OK.  Moving the mouse then restarts the PC but via the grub boot screen, choice of OS, followed by a request for the password. 

This takes me to the desktop OK except for a small box that says "TDE panel - suspend failure".  I have two browsers in auto start and they start just fine but only show pinned tabs - i.e. the other tabs I had open in the previous session are gone, so this suggests it actually went through a full boot

#6 2018-06-08 08:45

Dai_trying

I have just tested my Centaurus installation and that appears to suspend to ram without issue, and also it suspends to disk without issue. So I can only think that there is some bug fix between the two versions that has cleared the problem. On my Centaurus installation I did not edit the /etc/default/grub file according to the earlier link I posted but it all seems to work ok, I will go back to Scorpion and remove that edit and test again from there.

#7 2018-06-08 09:43

Dai_trying

Just edited /etc/default/grub back to the defaults and after reboot suspend features are all working ok for me (both to ram and to disk) so it appears to me the previous edit was not needed in my case, and actually prevented suspend to disk from working...

@arjay
Coud you install inxi and post the output of

inxi -F

so we can see what hardware you are using?

#8 2018-06-08 17:15

arjay

Thanks for keeping going smile

I attach my inxi -F output as a txt file (hopefully).  Should I also undo the changes I made to my grub file as you did?

Richard

Attachments:
txt q4os-inxi.txt, Size: 1.88 KiB, Downloads: 590

#9 2018-06-08 17:20

arjay

PS happy to try other things like installing KDE 5 Plasma and/or Centaurus.  Currently running Scorpion ...

Last edited by arjay (2018-06-08 17:21)

#10 2018-06-08 19:18

Dai_trying

You could revert the changes to grub just to see if it makes any difference, and also you could try installing Centaurus to see if that has the same issue, I do notice you have dual graphics, and wonder if that might be the culprit here, unfortunately I have no experience of running them myself so just guessing really. I think we might need some help from the devs on this one...

#11 2018-06-08 19:31

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The hibernate/suspend issues are mostly hardware dependent, however relatively often. There is no common procedure to fix them, sometimes they are not fixable at all. We would recommend you to try to install newer kernel prior to other attempts. You can use the dedicated script in terminal:
$ qinst-kernel-bpo
You may also need to add stretch-backports repository:
$ sudo qrepoadd --gui
$ sudo apt update

If it will not resolve the issue, you should follow common Debian Stretch recommendations and directions, it's applicable for Q4OS Scorpion as well.

#12 2018-06-09 08:54

arjay

Well rather disappointing results I am afraid. I tried the following:

1. Reverted the Grub file to remove the added swap file setting.  Updated grub and rebooted. No change - Suspend to disk and RAM both failed.

2. Updated the kernel to 4.16.0.0 as per advice but this just locked up the PC early in the boot sequence.  Had to revert to the earlier kernel, 4.9.0.

So no further forward - still unable to suspend.  Also option to hibernate never became available.

Couple of other annoyances:

a) Not allowed to put characters like ?? in the password.  Never seen this before - would have thought it would greatly add to security but there you are.

b) The "dumbed down"/crippled TDE version of Dolphin is far from satisfactory.  Unable to search for any files after install of TDE.  I did install Baloo, enabled it and set it to index (which it eventually reported it had done) but in spite of following a couple of guides, I never got Dolphin to find a single file.

So the net result was I gave up on TDE.  Real shame, because it is significantly faster and more responsive than a full KDE install. 

Anyway, I have now installed KDE from the Welcome Screen option and it works faultlessly - including Suspend to RAM.  Seems to run reasonably quickly, as well.  But now I am wondering why I should carry on using the Trinity OS + KDE when there are many other worthy KDE install, such as Linux Mint and so on.

#13 2018-06-09 12:40

Dai_trying

I can't really argue the case on this occasion as I cannot remedy the problem you are facing, but if you choose to go with a different KDE distro you could check out my forum as crosscourt and tlmiller both prefer KDE based distributions and have discussed many of them there. Sorry I couldn't be more help sad

#14 2018-06-09 17:10

arjay

I appreciate all your help and no one is more sorry than me that I could not get TDE to suspend.  That said, the kde option is running ok and seems zippy enough for my main PC, so I will go with that for a while.

Thanks for the link to your forum - some great help with different distros there.  I have a network of several other PCs I can use for testing but some are ageing a bit these days.  I am going to try MX17 on one of them and will report back on your forum if I have anything worth saying.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited by arjay (2018-06-09 17:11)

#15 2018-06-09 18:06

Dai_trying

You're welcome smile

Board footer