You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-08 12:43

witloof

Installing disk-manager --- not as it should

Q4OS Centaurus 3.2 -- fully updated

When installing disk-manager ( via synaptic ) , I first get a small black screen, and after entering the password it's telling me the following:
WARNING:python-notify is not installed, disable notification.
WARNING:notify is too old, disable notification

at the same time , the normal GUI for disk-manager did appear.
Ticked a few boxes...seems to work
Didn't go any further
Black screen disappears at the same time as the GUI

Thanks

#2 2018-06-08 16:11

Dai_trying

Re: Installing disk-manager --- not as it should

python-notify is in the repositories and can be installed with

sudo apt install python-notify

or by using Synaptic Package Manager of course. smile

#3 2018-06-08 20:55

Dai_trying

I tested in a VM and everything installs and runs without issue, I do see the same warnings about notifications (as you can see in the image) but it does appear to work.

Y5Y44HKl.png

#4 2018-06-09 02:48

witloof

Yes, I agree with you, but the issue is that python-notify should be installed as a dependency without interference from the user, as it did in Scorpion

#5 2018-06-09 07:06

Dai_trying

In Scorpion the disk manager (when run from the command line) displays the exact same error messages unless another application had previously installed the notify/python-notify packages for you. The only difference is that you are shown the error in the Centaurus installation.

#6 2018-06-09 08:22

witloof

OK, you caught me here.
I should have said : ...like scorpion " did " just after 2017-11-15 when I was using it that time.
If It showed the same black screen 'that time', I certainly would have posted it here, 'that' time ( which I didn't ).
If it showed the same black screen 'that time', I certainly would have entered in my notebook ( which I didn't ).

So, rest only the option : unless another application........ ( and following up on that will only be guess work )

OK, we can leave it at this, but I still feel 'from a new users point' , that this should not happen.
Those packages should be detected/selected as dependencies and accordingly installed.

Dai_trying
Please note, that as ' an old timer ' I really don't care looking at or working with/from commandline.
There are cases I prefer it ( but not many )

OK, see you around
witloof

#7 2018-06-09 08:41

Dai_trying

I do agree that it should provide the packages if they are required, but it looks like they are not required for the program to run and are just used if available, I would guess the output is more a debugging reference.
I think the actual problem here is the fact that the information is retained on screen for the user to see, as It should (IMO) probably not be seen once the user has entered a password.

As for the command-line, I'm sorry it's just the easiest place to work for me, I often overlook the fact that a lot of people simply never use it. smile

As for other options to disk-manager, I use GParted as a GUI partition manager, it has never let me down yet.

#8 2018-06-09 09:05

witloof

Yes, Gparted is a god-send . There isn't a month that I don't use it ( 4 diff comps).
As for the commandline, it's getting more difficult by the day, as I have to look up every command, whereas up to a few years ago, I could remember most of the most used.
Also typing ( generally ) things get worse, So does my eyesight.
The GUI is more comfortable at my age and situation ! ( less swear words ) :-)

#9 2018-06-09 12:36

Dai_trying

I do use GUI packages a lot in general use, but when I am troubleshooting and setting up I'm rarely out of the terminal as it is sooooo much quicker to get things done (once you know the right commands that is smile ) I also tend to create scripts for regular stuff I need to do to make it even quicker (about 150 scripts in my ~/bin/ folder at present) so I don't have to use too many "normal" commands.

#10 2018-06-09 13:17

witloof

Wow.....150 scripts ?
I got only 7 in my CLI folder. But then, I am trying to cut down on everything computer, but the addiction is to strong.
I managed to quit smoking, drinking, caffeine related products, but quitting the computer habit, I couldn't, after 14 months of trying hard. It comes back all the time.

OK, see you around.
witloof

#11 2018-06-09 14:03

Dai_trying

I'm in the lead up to quitting smoking (my biggest vice), caffeine I could not live without and computers, well I couldn't imagine not having one in front of me for too long lol

Board footer