You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-06 05:43

witloof

LXQT installation of Scorpion 2.5 rc1

concerning the latest 64bit iso, marked r1

Part A ( OK )
I have installed successful the LXQT desktop onto my HD, as follows :
From USB, boot up/install into RAM, then install into partition, then go for Desktop Profiler, find and mark LXQT and carry on with installation.
So, no problem here

Part B ( Not OK )
Let's do this again a different way !!!
From USB, boot up/install into RAM.( OK )
Then, immediately go into Desktop Profiler, locate and mark LXQT. (OK)
The installer does it's job ( OK ) and at the end gives me a message "
"" Do you want to reboot ""
........>> Gentlemen, if I click YES and reboot I am back to Square One !  !  !
This should read , either "Logout/login" or " end session "  or something like that !
It also should function accordingly .
So, I choose end session and immediately I am in LXQT desktop environment. (OK)

Good, Lovely.
Let's install, as in the top left corner, there is an icon that says: Install Q4OS.

Well , I can click as long as I want.....> nothing happens
Using the option , open with systemtools/install Q4OS also does not function

I have done this 3 times. Yesterday morning, yesterday evening and this morning. All 3 the same!

So, maybe someone want to have a look at that ?  ?

Please note, I am only reporting.
I have it installed OK on my HD and thus I have no problem

Last edited by witloof (2018-06-06 05:47)

#2 2018-06-06 08:51

Dai_trying

Re: LXQT installation of Scorpion 2.5 rc1

Installing into the live session will not be permanent, as you have found out it is possible to install another DE to test (by ending session instead of rebooting) but the changes will not be carried forward to an installation, and any reboot of the live session will also remove any changes made there.

Once you are have changed the Live session desktop it looks like it might not be possible to install normally as the live session will likely have some environment variables changed. I do not know if this should be the case or not, but I would guess it is going to be troublesome to account for all the possible variations in the installer to do this. Maybe the Devs have a better explanation but this seems to me "normal" behaviour of a Live-Cd.

The Desktop profiler is usually run immediately after installation (after installing the language pack first) so that would be the best time to install a second DE (which I think is how you got your "running" system set up) so unless the Devs state different I would have considered everything to be working as expected (IMO).

#3 2018-06-06 09:27

witloof

Hi Dai

Thanks for response.
Yes, I follow you, understand and agree with your explanation.

The thing is....The install procedure let me go that far !!!, and just the last click ( install ) it refused to do , what I thought it should , but it failed !

As technical persons, we can reason and talk about this, but what about non-technical persons.

They will see this as a bug, pass on the information to other non-technical persons, and before you know, Q4OS got a bad reputation of: <<...the thing doesn't even want to install. What about the rest...? >>. Gossip goes the speed of light !

If the last ( unsuccessful ) way is not the way to go ( for whatever reason ) I feel it should be blocked somewhere , or maybe a pop up window with some kind of a warning , like the text you wrote .

Well , it's just an opinion. Yes, I know, talk is easy and cheap.
But I feel I just had to mention it.

So, we can see this post as finished. I have no problem with that.
Thanks for taking the time to write back.

#4 2018-06-06 09:36

Dai_trying

I think you are right about a warning dialog, or maybe a mention in the Documentation as it would appear like a bug to new users, and that is, like you said, not a good thing.

It is good to post this sort of information though as it can make everyone more aware of these situations, so thank you. smile and maybe the Devs will look into whether it might be possible to change this behaviour in the future but as I said earlier it would require a considerable effort to account for all DE's and configurations.

#5 2018-06-06 09:39

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

witloof wrote:

If the last ( unsuccessful ) way is not the way to go ( for whatever reason ) I feel it should be blocked somewhere , or maybe a pop up window with some kind of a warning ...

Yes, we will take a look on that. Anyway thanks for reporting, you are welcome to keep it further.

Board footer