You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 17:17

bin

Kernel Config Puzzler

Over the last year or so I have been rabbiting on about problems with trying to use later kernels / versions of Q4OS on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

The problem is that it just will not shut down - no matter what commands including shutdown -h 0 which normally does it for anything else. It echoes going for powerdown and then just stops - needs hard swoff to do anything else.

This issue seems to be Debian specific. Just been playing around with my old friend Uberstudent and also Linux Lite - 'buntu 14.04 and 16.03 respectively with various 4.xxxx kernels no problem.

Now, there was one distro that built its own kernels and they worked fine - it was Semplice linux - now gone.

However, I do have the kernel config file and have been trying to sort out what it is that makes it work, as my guess is the correct addition to grub would probably sort this out.

I have tried the usual noacpi, acpi-force, reboot=acpi/efi/pci/force, acpi=off all to no avail.

It just cannot be that hard as it has already been done.

So, I have attached the kernel config file for 4.1-7 which was what worked OK. I have tried using diffuse to compare this with 3.16 but there are too many differences.

If anyone has the skills to identify which bits - and my guess is that it has to be acpi related are involved that would be great. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get the relevant sources for that release and see if I can remember how to build my own kernel - using this config file - haven't done that since 2001 with Slackware!!!

Attachments:
0-desktop-amd64 config-4.1-7.semplice.0-desktop-amd64, Size: 158.27 KiB, Downloads: 782

#2 2018-04-18 21:53

Dai_trying

Re: Kernel Config Puzzler

Have you checked any bios settings that might be causing this, I have a couple of old 32 bit systems that have this problem although none of my 64 bit systems do. I am going to have a look at my 32 bit systems now to see if I can get them to function properly, and also to see if they are still exhibiting the same behaviour after I update everything.

Are you using 32 or 64 bit OS? (and does that make any difference?)

#3 2018-04-19 06:33

bin

Same issue with 32 bit or 64 bit. Goes through shutdown process, closes off everything, services etc then gets to Target Reached Shutdown and stops there. It's a well known issue, just annoying that none of the normal solutions work, and yet it must be related to how Debian is assembled

I'm digging around on Distrowatch and other locations to see if I can locate a plain Debian Jessie based distro with an early 4.1x kernel to get a better config comparison.

Dell BIOS not much use - I did enable HPET but that didn't do anything to help except things are a bit quicker.

#4 2018-04-19 08:43

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin
$ sudo systemctl poweroff
Does this turn the PC off completely ?

#5 2018-04-19 10:20

bin

Thank you - I hadn't come across that one - but sadly, no, same result.

Shutdown seems to progress normally - the only obvious error using Live is 'Failed to unmount /tmp.'

After that we get to 'Reached target Shutdown' - then it just hangs with that on screen.

Normally I run Orion - if I add the latest bpo kernel the same situation arises - hence my focus on the kernel config

Last edited by bin (2018-04-19 12:40)

Board footer