You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 14:52

SandStorm

Q4OS on Asus eeePC 701

Greetings!
Recently I installed this OS, and is one of the very few that manages to run on this small netbook.
But I'd like assistance in few things, since I'm a complete 0 on linux systems.
-> my cpu is an celeron capable of 900mhz. On windows I had one app that allowed to scale it up to those speeds or more. But on Q4OS it's locked at 630mhz. Any idea how to change this?

-> is there any way to have new apps/packages to install on another drive? This PC features a card reader, which I have a 16gb card. The internal 4GB SSD is too small

#2 2018-04-13 17:11

bin

Re: Q4OS on Asus eeePC 701

Hi - and welcome to Q4OS.
Answering your question backwards - linux installs programs into the root system - think C: drive that is exclusive to root user.
Your data lives under /home which can either be on the same partition as / or a different partition.
That is pretty well immutable - it's just the way it works.

So, the only easy way I can see would be to install using a card in the reader as the root drive - is that an SD card reader we're talking about? If so you could partition that for the OS - provided you don't go mad that would be fine. You'd then have 4 gb left on the SSD that which could be your /home for your data.

This is just one suggestion. You can get more complicated by splitting the 16gb but as you're just getting into linux it's worth taking it gently. You can - and probably will - start again several times as you get to learn how it all works.

I'm not sure if the above will wok - never tried installing on and SD card except for a Raspberry Pi back when they first came out.

WRT to CPU - if you right click on the battery/power icon you should see the CPU policy option which may allow you to change to Perfomance.

#3 2018-04-16 18:53

SandStorm

Hello again, folks!
I solved my CPU issue, by using the details dedicated to one distro, named leeenux. while not all commanda worked, these worked for me to ramp up the clock from 630 up to 900

i installed cpu frequtils.
"sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils"
then typped this:
"sudo cpufreq-set -f 900,"
after that
"lscpu"
at first it displayed 630, but later on (after like... 1 minute) I typed again, and started showing up the correct speed.
The displayed number under battery, now shows the fixed 900mhz.
I can't get the "sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq", but at least now i know the speed is correct.
At least that!

Other thing, the estimated battery time is always 00:00
Also... I know leeeenux works well on my netbook, even if some configurations aren't as straight forward as this one. But visually, Q4OS is waaay prettier.
It's just... From a 4gb SSD, I only have 1GB left after installing chromium, wine and bleachbit. This with the most basic installation. The other distro, have way more space left while offering more software at the same time.
Also, I really like the software installer of Q4OS, but... only 17 apps? sad

#4 2018-04-18 07:53

bin

SandStorm wrote:

Hello again, folks!
Other thing, the estimated battery time is always 00:00
Also... I know leeeenux works well on my netbook, even if some configurations aren't as straight forward as this one. But visually, Q4OS is waaay prettier.
It's just... From a 4gb SSD, I only have 1GB left after installing chromium, wine and bleachbit. This with the most basic installation. The other distro, have way more space left while offering more software at the same time.
Also, I really like the software installer of Q4OS, but... only 17 apps? sad

In fairness, leeenux is tailored to your particular hardware - Q4OS is a general purpose distro and so does install far more in the way of drivers an other support for the wide range of hardware out there.

The apps you see in the Software Centre are a basic set of custom dash installers for stuff most folk want or need - you are free to install Synaptic and use that for any other programs you wish to install, or install from the command line if space is a premium.

#5 2018-04-28 17:26

SandStorm

Even so, my preference is this os.
Easy to use, fast, no unneeded whistles and bells, while being pleasant to the eyes.
Heavens, today even installed it on my desktop!
So, will keep myself loyal to this distro smile
It just needs to be more known to the Linux community, because have so much to give

#6 2020-04-13 07:25

steadi

SandStorm wrote:

Hello again, folks!
I solved my CPU issue, by using the details dedicated to one distro, named leeenux. while not all commanda worked, these worked for me to ramp up the clock from 630 up to 900

i installed cpu frequtils.
"sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils"
then typped this:
"sudo cpufreq-set -f 900,"
after that
"lscpu"
at first it displayed 630, but later on (after like... 1 minute) I typed again, and started showing up the correct speed.
The displayed number under battery, now shows the fixed 900mhz.
I can't get the "sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq", but at least now i know the speed is correct.
At least that!

? sad

Hello, I'm trying to do the same but it doesn't apply the command CPU Freq set 900
Saying me these errors:
- do you have necessaries admin privileges?
- governor you required is available and loaded?
-are you trying to set a not valid government?
- are you trying to set a specific frequency but governor userspace is not available, maybe governor userspace is not loaded?

I don't know how is "userspace" governor...
Can you help me please?
Thanks

#7 2020-06-02 23:36

SandStorm

hey man, sorry for my late reply
i stoipped using the little asus, but all i did was what i described here
the version i was using at the time, was the older orion (which i suppose it was the 1.8)

Which version you're using? the most recent? maybe it's that. i remember one of the most recent iso's wouldn't work as well with the little EEEPC as the old 1.8
Anyway I reverted that to XP just to play needforspeed porsche unleashed

currently i'm with a packard bell dot S in dual boot between Win7 and Q4OS, but the centaurus 3.11

Edit:
i've just remembered, there used to be a bios 0511 that allowed it to always run at 900mhz
but the fan would be always working like a hairdresser

Last edited by SandStorm (2020-06-03 00:16)

Board footer