You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 18:55

Pawel Jecek

Orion slowed down, like... much.

Hi!

I'm user of Orion since last year on my antique Acer Aspire 9410-2028. Until then I used old (original) MS Vista OS. Orion worked fine (well... great!) for few months and then started slowing down. Recently it turned as slow as the old Vista.

I know rather little on operating systems, I only use Q4OS for net surfing (chromium) and basic documents (libre office, Kwrite, Kolour Paint, dropbox) - I am very, very basic user. I guess It should work OK, but I might've 'catch' something from the net, like, I don't know... some software updates, that slow the system down?

Is there a chance to "restore" system to initial settings?
Or shall I switch to Scorpion?

#2 2018-03-12 19:34

Dai_trying

Re: Orion slowed down, like... much.

Orion will be supported for quite some time yet, so I see no problem to keep it (for now at least) and you could make sure the system is fully up to date and then let us know what is actually slowing down, if it is mainly the web browser then there are a few options to get things back up to speed and if you let us know which browser you are using I think we should be able to "clean it up" a little to get it running better.

If you are contemplating using Scorpion I would recommend trying the Live-Cd to make sure everything is going to work as expected and if it does you can also use it for the installation.

#3 2018-03-12 20:21

Pawel Jecek

Dai_trying wrote:

Orion will be supported for quite some time yet, so I see no problem to keep it (for now at least) and you could make sure the system is fully up to date

I did install the updates.

Dai_trying wrote:

let us know what is actually slowing down, if it is mainly the web browser then there are a few options to get things back up to speed and if you let us know which browser you are using I think we should be able to "clean it up" a little to get it running better.

As for surfing web sites, I use Chromium, as i mentioned above. I admit, that slowed down to a highest degree.

For example - let's say - youtube videos that started to load longer, especially in full screen mode, then in 'normal' as well...
                                  - as well as other web stuff, like my online bank account turning slow, almost unusable (I checked on other computer, it's not 'their' problem) etc.

Beside this, I think entire system slowed down. It was not noticeable at first, but now every time I switch the computer on, I can watch the start commands and icons for longer time than before.

Dai_trying wrote:

If you are contemplating using Scorpion I would recommend trying the Live-Cd to make sure everything is going to work as expected and if it does you can also use it for the installation.

I guess I'll wait with that   wink

BTW: Had anyone had problems with USB memory sticks being suddenly treated like they were 'read-only'? I was editing some photos, saving them OK, and then I could not (suddenly) save the changes anymore... The same happened when I connected the tablet... System said it was for 'read-only' stuff.That's why I had to install dropbox, as I could not copy files by usb wire (usb works fine)

Last edited by Pawel Jecek (2018-03-12 20:22)

#4 2018-03-12 20:26

Pawel Jecek

Dai_trying wrote:

if it is mainly the web browser then there are a few options to get things back up to speed and if you let us know which browser you are using I think we should be able to "clean it up" a little to get it running better.

Oh yes... and i do clean the browser off cookies and stuff... frequently...

#5 2018-03-12 20:50

Dai_trying

I am suspecting imminent hardware failure, which could also be the case for the usb stick, I have read that usb sticks can become read only if certain conditions arise including (but not limited to) sector failures.

I would first make a back up of everything from that machine to be safe, and then start running some HDD test packages to see if that is the problem. I have not had to use them much myself but you could start with fsck, it has many options though so thegeekstuff has some good examples to get you going.

And it would be advised to use a Live-Cd to ensure your running environment will not affect the result and you can check the whole HDD in one go.

#6 2018-03-12 21:39

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Q4OS Orion updates shouldn't slow down the core system at all. There are the meltdown/spectre kernel patches with some minor performance impact, but it shouldn't be noticeable. The only one application that swells up in time is web browser, but it should be easily deflated by cache cleaning. So, we would also guess it's about a hardware issue.

#7 2018-03-15 01:04

Pawel Jecek

Thanks for the answers! I guess I'm buying new hardware...

One more thing: how can I make bootable usb for Scorpion using Orion? Your tutorial describes Windows only... I'm really tempted with a bit better computer without pre-installed win10.... And I do admit I like Q4OS. Even as a 'simple' user.

Sorry for not answering earlier but I'm superbusy recently.

#8 2018-03-15 02:28

Dai_trying

In a terminal (konsole) you can use the command

sudo cp /path/to/image.iso /dev/sdx

Just put your own file and path in place and make sure to use the correct device for your USB stick, it is usually either sdb or sdc but could be something else. Check with lsblk your system would usually use SDA so please do not try that or it could wipe your main HDD.

Board footer