You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 16:46

graeme61

Q4OS Scorpion, install CD - 64bit / x64 ... 333 MBytes

Hello to all

Just not long discovered Q4OS  have installed the windows installer so i either have windows os or the choice of Q4OS on bootup.
I liked the Q4OS so much that i downloaded the the above for a full install on a spare laptop.
the problem i have is i can not install the software.
It autoplays a readme file,which give me the q4os web site link.

1.what is the best iso burner for this job ?
2.Is there something i have missed ?

Would appreciate any help,Thankyou in advance

Regards
graeme

#2 2018-03-04 21:45

Dai_trying

Re: Q4OS Scorpion, install CD - 64bit / x64 ... 333 MBytes

It looks like you have the Windows installer which will not work for installing outside of the Windows environment, you need to download an installation (or live) image to perform a "normal" install. You can download the normal images from the Q4OS Download Page just select either Live-CD or Installation CD and either 32 or 64 bit (depending on hardware) and you can install from either, I usually use the Live-CD as it can give you some indication of how compatible the machine is.

If you are using Windows to burn the image I would use Rufus or if using your Q4OS installation you can simply write it using the command

sudo cp /path/to/image.iso /dev/sd?

Just put the correct device ID in place of the ? so it will be something like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc etc... Make sure it is the correct one though as you can wipe your installation if you enter the wrong device ID. Do not enter the partition ID (/dev/sdb1) as this will not work, it only needs the main device and not the partition.

#3 2018-03-05 08:23

bin

@Dai - forgive me for asking a really stupid question, but surely all that command does is copy the iso file to a different device.

Surely it won't create a bootable system or am I missing something about the Q4 images?

#4 2018-03-05 09:22

Dai_trying

It's not a stupid question at all, I thought the same when I first saw the command.

If you use the cp command and write to the partition (/dev/sda1) then it will copy the iso image as expected and you will just have a copy of the iso file on your usb device for moving around etc, but if you write the image direct to the device (/dev/sda) then it will create a bootable stick, I am not certain of the exact reasons for this but it is due to the fact that the images are "hybrid" ones and writing directly to the device appears to copy the contents rather than the file, it is the same for any hybrid image, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc etc...

Give it a try, it's one of the easiest ways to create bootable sticks and I have been using it for a long time without issue. smile

#5 2018-03-05 09:35

bin

Well blow me down! It worked... you learn something new every day smile

#6 2018-03-05 09:52

Dai_trying

smile I have to say it didn't appear logical when I very first used it, I was expecting to just have a "copied" file sitting on the stick.

#7 2018-03-14 17:58

graeme61

Hello everyone and many thanks for the replys.

First of all ,i discovered that i had not changed the setting in the Bios to boot from cd.
Next the install disc came up with errors loading, so i tried another burner CDBurnerXP which did the trick.
I now have the spare laptop which originally had windows vista on it then a copy of windows 7 ,now has Q4OS Scorpion on it as a fully working OS .
I must say that it is very fast and i find it easy to use,also like the look of it.
Only snag i see is the browser which comes with Q4OS does not appear to have a search input like chrome ,firefox.
Unless i have overlooked something there.
Want to keep the laptop as linux as possible so no need for chrome or firefox.
Do not need email client e.g gmail on it.

This is an experimental laptop so i can learn more about linux and setting up programs like dump1090 etc.
So there you have it,another satisfied geek haha

Kind Regards
Graeme

#8 2018-03-14 22:10

Dai_trying

You are very welcome Graeme, and that is good news, I'm glad you got it sorted smile

Your snag (the browser) is a common complaint really, it can view a lot of web pages but is not very capable in todays usage, I personally use Pale Moon browser which is pretty much Firefox with a few bits removed, but there are many Linux browsers out there and you should have been offered the chance to install Chrome when you first started the konqueror browser as it does realise most users need something more modern for web browsing.

You can try Firefox-esr from the standard Debian repositories or Firefox (latest version from mozilla) from the Q4OS software Centre, as well as Chrome from the software centre or one of the many many others widely available, and whether you install from the Debain repo or the Q4OS software Centre you will still get the same level of support here. smile

Board footer