You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 17:45

Dai_trying

mac osx snow leopard theme

Hi everyone, A member of my local LUG asked if there was an OS that has a look and feel similar to MacOsX's Snow Leopard, I haven't seen one from my initial searches although ElementaryOS was one that got a recommendation (but not free it seems). I wondered if there might be a theme available somewhere for Q4OS that would fit the bill?

I will continue searching and any links or information would be greatly received.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-03-08 18:05)

#2 2018-03-09 04:17

UAOS

Re: mac osx snow leopard theme

I did a macOS High Sierra theme.

https://www.facebook.com/UbuntuandOpenS … =3&theater
This is my freespire/Xubuntu desktop customized to an icon set, mouse icons, and some window borders and last the wallpaper.  I is hard to get something near perfect for macOS / Mac OS X themes.  So I focus on the looks, and something for a dock that act like a mac dock.

The reason is because for macOS/Mac OS X applications launch from finder or the dock mainly, there is not a menu button like in Linux.  As well as a topmenu plug for the panel in I am using in XFCE mainly is there for Ubuntu distro's like LXDE, XFCE and Mate.  How ever, I did find it also in Manjaro XFCE too.  Third, many docks to choose from, I am using dockbarX that plugs in to my XFCE panel, but also can run as a stand alone appliction that I have doing in my Lubuntu.

As for ready out of the box at source forge a user named mintymac does some re-spins that look great to me.  This isn't a developed os like ElementaryOS, this person likes to make some respins i think.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mintymacpremium/  I how ever,  have downloaded the deb file in the past for an Xubuntu and it looked kool back then.

Good luck.

A home Linux user who believes that Linux is the future.

#3 2018-03-09 08:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could also give Kooldock a try, a dock for TDE with cool visual enhancements. You will need to install 'kooldock-trinity' package.

#4 2018-03-09 09:08

Dai_trying

Thank you both for the suggestions I will investigating this further and see what I come up with. smile

#5 2018-03-10 07:24

bin

In case it is any use, I do have some old archives of MAC OSX icons and Snow Leopard wallpapers. The icons are Gnome themes from Ubuntu but they are .png so could be re-purposed.

There was a project Mac4Lin which still has files on Sourceforge, also on SF there is PearLinux 5.0 which whilst way out of date could provide some useful info on how they did it.

The old AWN (Avant Window Navigator) was very good at providing an OSX like Dock in XFCE - it was used well in Dreamlinux which you can still get here though it ended in 2012. I used it a lot at the time

https://sourceforge.net/projects/archiveos/files/d/dreamlinux/Dreamlinux-5.iso/download

Obviously KDE has the MACOS top menu bar tool built in, so it may not be too hard to get a bit of a lookalike going within the Trinity - though most of the MAC-a-Likes used Xfce with bits of LXDE in some cases.

Hope this helps

#6 2018-03-10 09:09

Dai_trying

Thanks bin I was hoping to look more into this yesterday but having a few problems getting an old router set up as a lan extender (using openwrt) but it appears to be working as expected now so should be able to get something working on the "mac look" over the weekend and your advice will indeed be useful to me . smile

#7 2018-03-10 18:24

crosscourt
Website

Dai, Elementary OS is free, all you have to do is type $0 in the custom box and it will change to download Elementary from purchase Elementary and youre good to go.
Elementary is the closest distro to MacOSX presently.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#8 2018-03-10 18:42

Dai_trying

Dai_trying wrote:

snip...
although ElementaryOS was one that got a recommendation (but not free it seems).

Hence the strikethrough wink

And yes it does appear the most mac-like, although I will be trying to put together a Q4OS theme which can be as similar as possible.

#9 2018-03-10 18:45

crosscourt
Website

Sorry the strikethrough didnt really register with me when reading rather fast through the comment. Many forums have commented about Elementary not being free without realizing that wasnt the case.

MacPup use to be the closest to MacOSX   http://macpup.org

Last edited by crosscourt (2018-03-10 18:59)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#10 2018-03-10 20:42

Dai_trying

crosscourt wrote:

Sorry the strikethrough didnt really register with me when reading rather fast through the comment.

lol I figured that was the case

I might see if I can search out an image for macpup too as it could hold some useful stuff, thanks smile

#11 2018-03-19 06:13

SleepyD

Hi Dai.  You can can get the MacBuntu theme for Ubuntu here, http://www.noobslab.com/2016/04/macbunt … k-for.html.  The page has more than a theme available.  It really helps to transform Ubuntu.    You can also try Feren OS, https://ferenos.weebly.com/.  It based on Linux Mint.  It has themes to make it look like Mac or Windows.  You can't go wrong either way.

#12 2018-03-19 08:14

Dai_trying

Thank you SleepyD I just took a quick look at them both and the noobslab theme looks the most promising at the moment, although I will likely try out ferenos as well, I don't usually use the Buntu's but as this is for someone else I will try them out and let them know. Good find smile

#13 2018-03-19 14:54

SleepyD

Dai,  I almost forgot about these themes you could try  with different desktops, https://b00merang.weebly.com/apple-themes.html.  I don’t think any of them would work with Q4OS but you could try them with something that’s not an Ubuntu based distro if you want.  You would need to install Plank for the dock.

#14 2018-03-19 16:05

SleepyD

One more thing (funny since we’re talking about Apple),  I think the Macbuntu theme looks even more Apple like with Gnome.  They have adapted the theme for 17.10 but I would wait until the next LTS release 18.04 which is next month.  I hope this isn’t too much info.

Last edited by SleepyD (2018-03-19 16:07)

#15 2018-03-19 16:36

Dai_trying

In my experience you cant have too much info big_smile And thanks again it all will help in my quest.

#16 2018-04-06 06:56

SleepyD

Hi Dai.  Have you had a chance to try some of my suggestions?  I was just curious to see how it's going.

#17 2018-04-06 07:20

Dai_trying

Hi SleepyD, I originally asked for a member of my local LUG and have passed all the information to him and he was very pleased to know there were quite a few different options, although because it peaked my interest a little I will be attempting to create a Q4OS theme to mimic the layout too. I have not yet started applying it but it's on my "todo" list and I'm sure to get something put together soon(ish).

If I manage to get something that looks reasonable I will post here to see what you (and anyone else) think and of course would be open to suggestions and modifications to make it even better smile

Thanks for the information and I will definitely be using it.

#18 2018-04-06 07:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

... I will be attempting to create a Q4OS theme to mimic the layout too ...

We can recommend you to create a Lookswitcher compatible theme, so it could be included in the Control panel system themes, and could be easily selected from the Lookswitcher application. You can download, extract and check the Lookswitcher package, its structure is quite straightforward. We are ready to provide a support for that effort, just ask here.

Steps to extract Lookswitcher:
$ mkdir /tmp/wkdir ; cd /tmp/wkdir
$ apt-get download lookswitcher
$ xqtrdebs

#19 2018-04-06 07:36

Dai_trying

That sounds awesome guys thank you, I should be able to make a start over the weekend and this will help. smile

#20 2019-12-14 14:20

Mr.Mark

I'm sticking with Q4OS because of what attracted me to it in the first place. The familiar windows like layout.
I wanted to post an update because elementary os was mentioned here in this thread. I was looking for an os that was geared towards music. Ubuntu Studio came highly recommended however I was unable to install it. I found that the install process was not very straightforward.
Next was elementary os. Yes you can select 0 in the amount screen and download for free. The install process was ok and I did actually get it up and running. I will say it does have a nice “look” but that’s where it ends. It takes an eternity to start, and an eternity to shut down. No minimize tabs anywhere, overall just a pain in the a$$. Did I mention no support?
Downloaded the newest Q4OS Centaurus/Trinity 64bit. And just like always it installed like a breeze, did the profiler thing and bam it works like a champ! The Q4OS support and forum is extraordinary!
My findings are if you’re going to go Linux look no further than Q4OS.

Last edited by Mr.Mark (2019-12-24 05:46)

#21 2019-12-14 16:45

Dai_trying

Board footer