You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-16 22:22

Dai_trying

Automatically upload Photo's from camera/sd card

I thought I would just give some tips on achieving this as there is currently a problem doing it although in about a month there should be a fix available, nevertheless here it is.

1. You need to create a udev rule that recognizes your camera/card specifically, Mine is shown below (make sure each rule is on ONE line only). There are many guides on using udev rules one good source is HERE.

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd?1", ENV{ID_FS_UUID}=="41BC-8675", SYMLINK+="CamCard", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -u daa /home/dai/bin/Add_relay_script.sh"
ACTION=="remove", KERNEL=="sd?1", ENV{ID_FS_UUID}=="41BC-8675", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -u dai /home/dai/bin/Rem_relay_script.sh"

Save it to /etc/udev/rules.d/camcard.rules DO NOT COPY MINE EXACTLY! it will not work without changing user name and UUID of your camera/card at the very least.

You can name it something else if you want so long as it ends in .rules

Next create a directory in /media/dai/  I named mine the same as the symlink that the udev rule created, but this is up to you, and take ownership.

sudo mkdir /media/dai/CamCard
sudo chown dai:dai /media/dai/CamCard

Next edit your fstab and add the following line

/dev/CamCard    /media/dai/CamCard     auto    rw,user,noauto,sync     0       0

this will allow the user to mount the disk without root permissions.

Now onto the scripts...

Script 1
    Add_relay_script.sh

#!/bin/bash

echo "`date +%d/%m/%Y_%H:%M:%S` CamCard Inserted" >>/home/dai/CamCard.log
mount /dev/CamCard
echo /home/dai/bin/copy_card_to_Pictures | at now

You can remove the first echo statement if you wish, I just use it to keep a usage log.
You will probably need to install the "at" command, it is used to prevent blocking udev while uploads are carried out.

sudo apt-get install at

Script 2
    Rem_relay_script.sh
This script isn't really necessary I use it for logging purposes.

#!/bin/bash

echo "`date +%d/%m/%Y_%H:%M:%S` CamCard Removed" >>/home/dai/CamCard.log

Script 3
    This is the main copy script.

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=:0
check_mount () {
	cat /etc/mtab | grep "CamCard" > /dev/null
	if [ $? == 0 ]; then
		return 0
	else
		return 1
	fi
}
if check_mount; then
	syncfiles=`rsync -navW /media/dai/CamCard/* /home/dai/Documents/Pictures/ | grep -i ".jpg"`
fi
if [ "${#syncfiles}" == 0 ]; then
	umount /dev/CamCard
	kdialog --title "No Files To Download" --passivepopup "You can remove the memory card now" 5
	exit 100
fi
echo "`date +%d/%m/%Y_%H:%M:%S` rsync activated" >>/home/dai/CamCard.log
rsync -avW /media/dai/CamCard/* /home/dai/Documents/Pictures/ ### Use this to keep photo's on card after uploading them
#rsync -avW --delete-source-files /media/dai/CamCard/* /home/dai/Documents/Pictures/ ### Use this to delete photo's from card after uploading them
echo "`date +%d/%m/%Y_%H:%M:%S` rsync completed" >>/home/dai/CamCard.log
umount /dev/CamCard
kdialog --title "Files Downloaded" --passivepopup "These files have been downloaded:-
$syncfiles

You can remove the memory card now" 5

All that remains now is to restart udev and make the scripts executable

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
chmod +x /home/dai/bin/Add_relay_script.sh /home/dai/bin/Rem_relay_script.sh /home/dai/bin/copy_card_to_Pictures

And insert your camera/card and watch it run.

This works for me, if you try it and have any problems let me know and I will try and help. Don't forget though, there is a fix in the pipeline if you have more patience than I.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-01-17 14:06)

#2 2016-01-17 12:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Automatically upload Photo's from camera/sd card

Great job Dai, thank you.

#3 2016-01-17 14:05

Dai_trying

You are welcome, I hope it helps someone. smile

#4 2016-01-17 15:34

CaptNoize
Website

Dai
Is this how I would set up my Logitech camera...? I have a Logitech Click smart 510 which doubles as a webcam.Would this work with it..?

#5 2016-01-17 16:25

Dai_trying

I think so, but a few things to check first would be how the camera is recognized by the os, If it sees it as a disc then i should. Bear in mind that what my scripts do is just copy (using rsync) the photographs found on the disc/usb stick/camera to your Pictures directory. If you need help identifying what you can do, type into a console (after connecting camera)

lsusb

to see what usb devices are attached and then if one is a disc type device type

sudo blkid

to get the UUID of the device to use with my scripts.
If you need any more help just ask smile

Dai

Board footer